The Reptile Room: Or, Murder! (A Series of…

The Reptile Room: Or, Murder! (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 2) (original 1999; edition 2007)

by Lemony Snicket, Brett Helquist (Illustrator), Michael Kupperman (Illustrator)

Member:Grisanwich2
Title:The Reptile Room: Or, Murder! (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 2)
Authors:Lemony Snicket
Other authors:Brett Helquist (Illustrator), Michael Kupperman (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2007), Paperback, 192 pages
Rating:***1/2

The Reptile Room by Lemony Snicket (1999)

I feel it would not have been inappropriate for a publisher to have mushed all 13 books in this series into one volume. Then I would have just powered through it.
As it is, I've been trying to pick them up, but I don't have them all in order, and I'm not SO thrilled with them that I feel motivated to go acquire all of them.
So now, I've read two. I have a couple more that come later in the series floating around.

This second "chapter" in the story finds our Unfortunate Orphans at a seeming upswing... they've escaped their evil cousin Count Olaf, and have been placed in the care of their uncle, a kindly herpetologist.
Fun and interesting activities are promised, such as taking care of unusual reptiles and amphibians, and even a trip to Peru... but of course, things are bound to go wrong. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
I don't think I have ever come across a book that is so depressing yet so full of hope at the same time. A very enjoyable instalment in the series. ( )
  4everfanatical | Feb 5, 2016 |
I love that despite the fact Lemony Snicket writes for children, he's morose quite and sarcastic sadnesses are still totally digestible for adults. For me, A Series of Unfortunate Events is an hour-read book, a quick and easy weekend read, and lots of fun. I've always liked his writing style and when he began publishing his new series, starting with: [Who Could That Be at This Hour?], I happily began reading them. However, I had started A Series of Unfortunate Events in middle school and lost interest in high school and never finished the series. More than ten years later, I'm remedying that.

The Reptile Room is particularly fun in this series because we've already been introduced to the Baudelaire children and the nefarious Count Olaf, but we aren't so far in the series that we already know the pattern that the next twelve books will entail. Certainly for an adult, it's a predictable, but it's still fun at this point. The childrens' latest guardian - an estranged uncle with an impressive snake collection - is charming and eccentric, and just as frustratingly naive as all the adults in the series, another running trope of amusement and frustration as the children can see the world clearly in the ways that imaginative adults cannot.

The only reason it loses a star, for me, is that it is beginning a repetitive cycle with repeated cliches, but it retains all the rest based upon the fantastic writing and delightful characters. It's a series I would happily recommend to anyone, despite their age. ( )
  Morteana | Jan 25, 2016 |
The Series of Unfortunate Events
The Reptile Room

I would rate this:
A 5 star

The reason why I chose this book is because I wanted to read the first one but my sister was already reading it so I thought my hope was gone but then my mom said “Wait we have the second book!” So I chose to read the book. I thought it would be about snakes and 3 children living a sad life because one of them died. I thought that the story was adventurous and and full of mysteries. The book was not what I thought it would be about I thought it would be fun and exciting but it is full of darkness and evil. Even though the cover looks all bright and snakes it is not like that at all!

The book is about 3 little kids and their names are; Violet the oldest and she likes to invent stuff. Then there is Klaus and he is all smart and he loves to read and he knows a lot of words that I can’t even pronounce! Then there is the youngest: Sunny and she will bite anything that comes in her path. Also you know how babies need to eat soft things like apple sauce well Sunny is the exact opposite! She eats raw carrots. Anyway the book is about 3 little kids and they hated this guy named Count Olaf he wanted the Baudelaires fortune witch was a lot of money,the oldest, Violet kept it. So anyway then they got to stay with their uncle named Uncle Monty and he was a rich guy with a big house and the Baudelaires children got to stay with him now no more Count Olaf! Then they had to get a new assistant because well he needed on. Then once the assistant arrived it was Count Olaf… No one else believed or listen to then what will the children do now? I think it is mystery and the author is Lemony Snicket. I think that he does very well with writing stories.

I loved the book except for the swearing and violence and killing and snakes. I did not like the part where there really good uncle gets bitten by a snake or we think…
You will love this book so very much. Just make sure that you are not under 7 because this book is way to violent for you and you wont get the mysteries. If you are like 11 or older you will love this book.

I love this book. I know that I have mentioned that like 5 times but it is true anyway, and I would read it again but I want to read the full series before I read this one again.

The book has many up and downs that have to do with the 3 children but let me just tell you one thing they are only happy about 2 times in this entire book. I would love to tell you about what happens to Count Olaf it is so funny; but Ms. Vanwyk said not to spoil any of the good parts. So I won’t so I get a good grade Anyway:

Thank you I hope that you will enjoy this book! If you decide to read it, I hope you enjoy the adventure.

-Anna Davis
Ms. Vanwyk P6
  adav3503 | Dec 15, 2015 |
Lemony Snicket sure is a talented writer! :) I really like it. It's very unique and exciting. :)
Can't wait to read the rest of the series... ( )
  smiley0905 | Sep 3, 2015 |

Lemony Snicketprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Snicket, Lemonymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Beatrice -- My love for you shall live forever. You, however, did not.
The stretch of road that leads out of the city, past Hazy Harbor and into the town of Tedia, is perhaps the most unpleasant in the world.
Dear Reader,

If you have picked up this book with the hope of finding a simple and cheery tale, I'm afraid you have picked up the wrong book altogether. The story may seem cheery at first, when the Baudelaire children spend time in the company of some interesting reptiles and a giddy uncle, but don't be fooled. If you know anything at all about the unlucky Baudelaire children, you already know that pleasant events lead down the same road to misery.

In fact, within the pages you now hold in your hands, the three siblings endure a car accident, a terrible odor, a deadly serpent, a long knife, a long brass reading lamp, and a reappearance of a person they'd hoped never to see again.

I am bound to record these tragic events, but you are free to put this book back on the shelf and seek something lighter.

With all due respect,

Lemony Snicket

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064407675, Hardcover)

The Reptile Room begins where Lemony Snicket's The Bad Beginning ends... on the road with the three orphaned Baudelaire children as they are whisked away from the evil Count Olaf to face "an unknown fate with some unknown relative." But who is this Dr. Montgomery, their late father's cousin's wife's brother? "Would Dr. Montgomery be a kind person? they wondered. Would he at least be better than Count Olaf? Could he possibly be worse?" He certainly is not worse, and in fact when the Baudelaire children discover that he makes coconut cream cakes, circles the globe looking for snakes to study, and even plans to take them with him on his scientific expedition to Peru, the kids can't believe their luck. And, if you have read the first book in this Series of Unfortunate Events, you won't believe their luck either. Despite the misadventures that befall these interesting, intelligent, resourceful orphans, you can trust that the engaging narrator will make their story--suspenseful and alarming as it is--a true delight. The Wide Window is next, and more are on their way. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:38 -0400)

After narrowly escaping the menacing clutches of the dastardly Count Olaf, the three Baudelaire orphans are taken in by a kindly herpetologist with whom they live happily for an all-too-brief time.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,132,834 books! | Top bar: Always visible