The Reptile Room: Or, Murder! (A Series of…

The Reptile Room: Or, Murder! (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 2) (original 1999; edition 2007)

by Lemony Snicket, Brett Helquist (Illustrator), Michael Kupperman (Illustrator)

Member:Grisanwich2
Title:The Reptile Room: Or, Murder! (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 2)
Authors:Lemony Snicket
Other authors:Brett Helquist (Illustrator), Michael Kupperman (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2007), Paperback, 192 pages
Rating:***1/2

The Reptile Room by Lemony Snicket (1999)

Oh, I love Lemony Snicket. I love the Baudelaire orphans, I loved Uncle Monty and I might even love Count Olaf (a bit, from time to time, because he's part of these stories).
It is a sad, depressing, senseless, upsetting story about the bad things that can unfortunately happen in this world, meaning: It is the most enjoyable and entertaining book I've read in some time, making me burst with laughters or calmly grin on the explanation of all those "difficult words", then again cause me to hold my breath or shiver slightly.
In this volume, I was particularily fond of the Incredibly Deadly Viper. ( )
  kthxy | May 6, 2016 |
Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudelaire are intelligent children. They are charming, and resourceful, and have pleasant facial features. Unfortunately, they are exceptionally unlucky. In the first two books alone, the three youngsters encounter a greedy and repulsive villain, itchy clothing, a disastrous fire, a plot to steal their fortune, a lumpy bed, a deadly serpent, a large brass reading lamp, a long knife, and a terrible odour. In the tradition of great storytellers, from Dickens to Dahl, comes an exquisitely dark comedy that is both literary and irreverent, hilarious and deftly crafted. Never before has a tale of three likeable and unfortunate children been quite so enchanting, or quite so uproariously unhappy. Ages 10
  wichitafriendsschool | Mar 25, 2016 |
"What happens in a certain place can stain your feelings for that location, just as ink can stain a white sheet.You can wash it, and wash it, and still never forget what has transpired, a word which here means 'happened and made everybody sad.'"
  Glaucialm | Feb 18, 2016 |
I feel it would not have been inappropriate for a publisher to have mushed all 13 books in this series into one volume. Then I would have just powered through it.
As it is, I've been trying to pick them up, but I don't have them all in order, and I'm not SO thrilled with them that I feel motivated to go acquire all of them.
So now, I've read two. I have a couple more that come later in the series floating around.

This second "chapter" in the story finds our Unfortunate Orphans at a seeming upswing... they've escaped their evil cousin Count Olaf, and have been placed in the care of their uncle, a kindly herpetologist.
Fun and interesting activities are promised, such as taking care of unusual reptiles and amphibians, and even a trip to Peru... but of course, things are bound to go wrong. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
I don't think I have ever come across a book that is so depressing yet so full of hope at the same time. A very enjoyable instalment in the series. ( )
  4everfanatical | Feb 5, 2016 |

Lemony Snicketprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Snicket, Lemonymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Beatrice -- My love for you shall live forever. You, however, did not.
The stretch of road that leads out of the city, past Hazy Harbor and into the town of Tedia, is perhaps the most unpleasant in the world.
Dear Reader,

If you have picked up this book with the hope of finding a simple and cheery tale, I'm afraid you have picked up the wrong book altogether. The story may seem cheery at first, when the Baudelaire children spend time in the company of some interesting reptiles and a giddy uncle, but don't be fooled. If you know anything at all about the unlucky Baudelaire children, you already know that pleasant events lead down the same road to misery.

In fact, within the pages you now hold in your hands, the three siblings endure a car accident, a terrible odor, a deadly serpent, a long knife, a long brass reading lamp, and a reappearance of a person they'd hoped never to see again.

I am bound to record these tragic events, but you are free to put this book back on the shelf and seek something lighter.

With all due respect,

Lemony Snicket

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064407675, Hardcover)

The Reptile Room begins where Lemony Snicket's The Bad Beginning ends... on the road with the three orphaned Baudelaire children as they are whisked away from the evil Count Olaf to face "an unknown fate with some unknown relative." But who is this Dr. Montgomery, their late father's cousin's wife's brother? "Would Dr. Montgomery be a kind person? they wondered. Would he at least be better than Count Olaf? Could he possibly be worse?" He certainly is not worse, and in fact when the Baudelaire children discover that he makes coconut cream cakes, circles the globe looking for snakes to study, and even plans to take them with him on his scientific expedition to Peru, the kids can't believe their luck. And, if you have read the first book in this Series of Unfortunate Events, you won't believe their luck either. Despite the misadventures that befall these interesting, intelligent, resourceful orphans, you can trust that the engaging narrator will make their story--suspenseful and alarming as it is--a true delight. The Wide Window is next, and more are on their way. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:38 -0400)

After narrowly escaping the menacing clutches of the dastardly Count Olaf, the three Baudelaire orphans are taken in by a kindly herpetologist with whom they live happily for an all-too-brief time.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,354,036 books! | Top bar: Always visible