A Series of Unfortunate Events - the Reptile…

A Series of Unfortunate Events - the Reptile Room - Book Two (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Lemony Snicket

8,301120377 (3.71)120
Title:A Series of Unfortunate Events - the Reptile Room - Book Two
Authors:Lemony Snicket
Info:Harper Collins Publishers (2000), Hardcover

The Reptile Room by Lemony Snicket (1999)

I don't think I have ever come across a book that is so depressing yet so full of hope at the same time. A very enjoyable instalment in the series. ( )
  KittyBimble | Nov 26, 2015 |
Lemony Snicket sure is a talented writer! :) I really like it. It's very unique and exciting. :)
Can't wait to read the rest of the series... ( )
  smiley0905 | Sep 3, 2015 |
Again -- "reading" in the sense that my son and I are delighting in Tim Curry reading this to us. (Sadly, Mr. Curry is not in the habit of stopping by, so we've had to content ourselves with a recording.) ( )
  Deborah_Markus | Aug 8, 2015 |
2.5/5 stars
I post all my reviews to athroneofbooks.booklikes.com

In the second book of the series I still had a difficult time with the writing style. I want to like it, I understand that the book is targeted towards children and not adults. I just have a hard time believing that even children would have a difficult time with some of these words Snicket takes the effort to explain. And with every other bit of dialogue being a definition and someone angrily saying “I know what _____ means!” It can become a tiresome read.

But once again despite my disdain, the word disdain here means contempt, for the writing style of Lemony Snicket I find myself wanting the read the next book in the series and see where it takes the Baudelaire orphans. And I believe I will continue on with the series for now, but I feel that at some point the repetitive jokes and constant definitions will be too annoying. It’s a shame, behind those annoyances lies a great kids story.
  MarandaNicole | Jul 15, 2015 |
Not as good as the first one, but I still enjoyed it. :) ( )
  Diamond.Dee. | Jul 3, 2015 |

Lemony Snicketprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Snicket, Lemonymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Beatrice -- My love for you shall live forever. You, however, did not.
The stretch of road that leads out of the city, past Hazy Harbor and into the town of Tedia, is perhaps the most unpleasant in the world.
Dear Reader,

If you have picked up this book with the hope of finding a simple and cheery tale, I'm afraid you have picked up the wrong book altogether. The story may seem cheery at first, when the Baudelaire children spend time in the company of some interesting reptiles and a giddy uncle, but don't be fooled. If you know anything at all about the unlucky Baudelaire children, you already know that pleasant events lead down the same road to misery.

In fact, within the pages you now hold in your hands, the three siblings endure a car accident, a terrible odor, a deadly serpent, a long knife, a long brass reading lamp, and a reappearance of a person they'd hoped never to see again.

I am bound to record these tragic events, but you are free to put this book back on the shelf and seek something lighter.

With all due respect,

Lemony Snicket

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064407675, Hardcover)

The Reptile Room begins where Lemony Snicket's The Bad Beginning ends... on the road with the three orphaned Baudelaire children as they are whisked away from the evil Count Olaf to face "an unknown fate with some unknown relative." But who is this Dr. Montgomery, their late father's cousin's wife's brother? "Would Dr. Montgomery be a kind person? they wondered. Would he at least be better than Count Olaf? Could he possibly be worse?" He certainly is not worse, and in fact when the Baudelaire children discover that he makes coconut cream cakes, circles the globe looking for snakes to study, and even plans to take them with him on his scientific expedition to Peru, the kids can't believe their luck. And, if you have read the first book in this Series of Unfortunate Events, you won't believe their luck either. Despite the misadventures that befall these interesting, intelligent, resourceful orphans, you can trust that the engaging narrator will make their story--suspenseful and alarming as it is--a true delight. The Wide Window is next, and more are on their way. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:38 -0400)

After narrowly escaping the menacing clutches of the dastardly Count Olaf, the three Baudelaire orphans are taken in by a kindly herpetologist with whom they live happily for an all-too-brief time.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,861,493 books! | Top bar: Always visible