A Series of Unfortunate Events - the Reptile…

A Series of Unfortunate Events - the Reptile Room - Book Two (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Lemony Snicket

Member:meadert
Title:A Series of Unfortunate Events - the Reptile Room - Book Two
Authors:Lemony Snicket
Info:Harper Collins Publishers (2000), Hardcover
Rating:*****

The Reptile Room by Lemony Snicket (1999)

Recently added byprivate library, Yona.Schuh, fairyofdark, DLeonaQ, RachelLeah, garado, Academic-Magic

I liked this book and felt that it would engage a fourth grade into it quickly. This is the second book of the series which is called The Reptile Room. I read all the books from this series when i was younger in fourth grade and enjoyed them a lot. If I had the opportunity to teach fourth grade then i would highly recommend these to my students because they are mysteries, and fun to read. This book has a great hook and wonderful descriptive words that gets your eyes glued to the book. ( )
  Ash13276 | Oct 16, 2016 |
This is the second novel in the Series of Unfortunate Events, and carries on where the last novel left off. Our three Baudelaire children, are being sent to a different relative, whom they expect to be as horrible as Count Olaf. However this time, they are pleasantly surprised when they meet their Uncle Monty, who seems like the perfect Uncle. Of course this happy situation cannot last, or it wouldn't be a series of unfortunate events.

I liked the first novel in this series, so I was excited to pick up the second, as I was interested to see where the author would take the series next. He didn't disappoint, as I felt this was a good sequel, on a par with the first.

I liked the plot, for a short book, it was understandably, fast paced, although a little predictable, I knew exactly what was going to happen, but that didn't take a lot away from the novel.

I enjoyed the development of the characters, and the relationship between the three children. They started to really act like a family, helping each other out, sticking up for each other, like a family would.

Overall I liked this sequel, as I thought it was a nice, easy read, which didn't take very long to finish. If you liked the previous novel I would continue with the series, as this is of a similar vein. ( )
  ACascadeofBooks | Oct 5, 2016 |
This entire series is 4 stars. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
The Baudelaire children are once again in touch with that evil man Count Olaf, and they can't get him arrested - for there is murder in the air...

Dr. Montgomery (the Baudelaire's late father's cousin's wife's brother) has a lot of snakes, and Olaf is in touch with one...

I think that this book was quite sad, considering the murders and unfortunate lives of the Baudelaire orphans, and I think that it's very bad that Count Olaf is still up to no good and thinking how evil his terrible plots of the Baudelaire fortune are. ( )
  LaviniaRossetti | Sep 6, 2016 |
Okay, so *this* is the book, I have been informed, that frightened my son away from the series. Because of the MURDER.
This book was very similar to the first, which was cute and the tone was certainly something different than kids usually get in a book. As a kid, I think I would have loved the anarchy creeping into the narration -- the little hints at Lemony writing the book on his friend's yacht, the confidential asides to the reader. But, as an adult, I think I'm good. I know that he tries to use the stylistic ticks like explaining words constantly and going off on little tangents as a core part of his humor, but I don't know that, as an adult who's seen the tricks, that there's much point keeping going in the series. ( )
  mhanlon | Jul 19, 2016 |

Lemony Snicketprimary authorall editionscalculated
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Beatrice -- My love for you shall live forever. You, however, did not.
The stretch of road that leads out of the city, past Hazy Harbor and into the town of Tedia, is perhaps the most unpleasant in the world.

Dear Reader,

If you have picked up this book with the hope of finding a simple and cheery tale, I'm afraid you have picked up the wrong book altogether. The story may seem cheery at first, when the Baudelaire children spend time in the company of some interesting reptiles and a giddy uncle, but don't be fooled. If you know anything at all about the unlucky Baudelaire children, you already know that pleasant events lead down the same road to misery.

In fact, within the pages you now hold in your hands, the three siblings endure a car accident, a terrible odor, a deadly serpent, a long knife, a long brass reading lamp, and a reappearance of a person they'd hoped never to see again.

I am bound to record these tragic events, but you are free to put this book back on the shelf and seek something lighter.

With all due respect,

Lemony Snicket

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064407675, Hardcover)

The Reptile Room begins where Lemony Snicket's The Bad Beginning ends... on the road with the three orphaned Baudelaire children as they are whisked away from the evil Count Olaf to face "an unknown fate with some unknown relative." But who is this Dr. Montgomery, their late father's cousin's wife's brother? "Would Dr. Montgomery be a kind person? they wondered. Would he at least be better than Count Olaf? Could he possibly be worse?" He certainly is not worse, and in fact when the Baudelaire children discover that he makes coconut cream cakes, circles the globe looking for snakes to study, and even plans to take them with him on his scientific expedition to Peru, the kids can't believe their luck. And, if you have read the first book in this Series of Unfortunate Events, you won't believe their luck either. Despite the misadventures that befall these interesting, intelligent, resourceful orphans, you can trust that the engaging narrator will make their story--suspenseful and alarming as it is--a true delight. The Wide Window is next, and more are on their way. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:38 -0400)

After narrowly escaping the menacing clutches of the dastardly Count Olaf, the three Baudelaire orphans are taken in by a kindly herpetologist with whom they live happily for an all-too-brief time.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,729,229 books! | Top bar: Always visible