A Series of Unfortunate Events - the Reptile…

A Series of Unfortunate Events - the Reptile Room - Book Two (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Lemony Snicket

Member:meadert
Title:A Series of Unfortunate Events - the Reptile Room - Book Two
Authors:Lemony Snicket
Info:Harper Collins Publishers (2000), Hardcover
Rating:*****

The Reptile Room by Lemony Snicket (1999)

English (135)  Dutch (1)  All (136)
This series is interesting to say the least. It is about orphan kids that travel from house to house and the unfortunate events they go through. This Book is the second. This time the orphans move in their uncle Montgomery and his reptiles. Of course, nothing good can last long with the Beaudelaires. Count Olaf squeezes his way in to try and get the kids away to Peru. Loved the book and yes it was different than the show in some ways. Looking forward to reading about Josephine in the next one since I didn't get to watch the entire part with her and the kids. ( )
  Devin_Woodall | May 1, 2017 |
A series of unfortunate events has gotta be one of my all time favorite series. As a kid, my dad would read a few pages or maybe even a chapter every night to my sister, our cat and I. This was one of my favorite memories while growing up. My dad would sometimes fall asleep in our bed while reading after we fell asleep. I love these books because they keep you guessing, they keep you wanting to continue reading to know what happened next. You want to know if Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudelaire end up in a good family and happily ever ever. But you are going to have to read it, I can't spoil the ending!
  Hayley.Hustead | Apr 19, 2017 |
Book #2. This time the orphans move in their uncle Montgomery and his reptiles. Of course, nothing good can last long with the Beaudelaires. Count Olaf squeezes his way in to try and get the kids away to Peru. Loved the book and yes it was different than the show in some ways. Looking forward to reading about Josephine in the next one since I didn't get to watch the entire part with her and the kids. ( )
  booklover3258 | Apr 6, 2017 |
The novel, The Reptile Room, maintains the same formidable character, Count Olaf, who is still intent on stealing the Baudelaire fortune. With a new identity, as Stephano, Count Olaf schemes his way into the home of the children and even murders their new guardian, Mr. Montgomery. Count Olaf is always one step ahead of the Baudelaire children, he has one of his accomplices pretend to be a doctor and falsify the cause of death. Count Olaf is a talented con-artist who can even fool Mr. Poe and other adults. Once again Count Olaf is able to escape leaving the children in constant fear of his return. ( )
  MaiaBlaise | Mar 28, 2017 |
I liked this book and felt that it would engage a fourth grade into it quickly. This is the second book of the series which is called The Reptile Room. I read all the books from this series when i was younger in fourth grade and enjoyed them a lot. If I had the opportunity to teach fourth grade then i would highly recommend these to my students because they are mysteries, and fun to read. This book has a great hook and wonderful descriptive words that gets your eyes glued to the book. ( )
  Ash13276 | Oct 16, 2016 |

Lemony Snicketprimary authorall editionscalculated
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Beatrice -- My love for you shall live forever. You, however, did not.
The stretch of road that leads out of the city, past Hazy Harbor and into the town of Tedia, is perhaps the most unpleasant in the world.

Dear Reader,

If you have picked up this book with the hope of finding a simple and cheery tale, I'm afraid you have picked up the wrong book altogether. The story may seem cheery at first, when the Baudelaire children spend time in the company of some interesting reptiles and a giddy uncle, but don't be fooled. If you know anything at all about the unlucky Baudelaire children, you already know that pleasant events lead down the same road to misery.

In fact, within the pages you now hold in your hands, the three siblings endure a car accident, a terrible odor, a deadly serpent, a long knife, a long brass reading lamp, and a reappearance of a person they'd hoped never to see again.

I am bound to record these tragic events, but you are free to put this book back on the shelf and seek something lighter.

With all due respect,

Lemony Snicket

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064407675, Hardcover)

The Reptile Room begins where Lemony Snicket's The Bad Beginning ends... on the road with the three orphaned Baudelaire children as they are whisked away from the evil Count Olaf to face "an unknown fate with some unknown relative." But who is this Dr. Montgomery, their late father's cousin's wife's brother? "Would Dr. Montgomery be a kind person? they wondered. Would he at least be better than Count Olaf? Could he possibly be worse?" He certainly is not worse, and in fact when the Baudelaire children discover that he makes coconut cream cakes, circles the globe looking for snakes to study, and even plans to take them with him on his scientific expedition to Peru, the kids can't believe their luck. And, if you have read the first book in this Series of Unfortunate Events, you won't believe their luck either. Despite the misadventures that befall these interesting, intelligent, resourceful orphans, you can trust that the engaging narrator will make their story--suspenseful and alarming as it is--a true delight. The Wide Window is next, and more are on their way. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:38 -0400)

After narrowly escaping the menacing clutches of the dastardly Count Olaf, the three Baudelaire orphans are taken in by a kindly herpetologist with whom they live happily for an all-too-brief time.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,081,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible