A Series of Unfortunate Events - the Reptile…

A Series of Unfortunate Events - the Reptile Room - Book Two (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Lemony Snicket

Member:meadert
Title:A Series of Unfortunate Events - the Reptile Room - Book Two
Authors:Lemony Snicket
Info:Harper Collins Publishers (2000), Hardcover
Rating:*****

The Reptile Room by Lemony Snicket (1999)

Okay, so *this* is the book, I have been informed, that frightened my son away from the series. Because of the MURDER.
This book was very similar to the first, which was cute and the tone was certainly something different than kids usually get in a book. As a kid, I think I would have loved the anarchy creeping into the narration -- the little hints at Lemony writing the book on his friend's yacht, the confidential asides to the reader. But, as an adult, I think I'm good. I know that he tries to use the stylistic ticks like explaining words constantly and going off on little tangents as a core part of his humor, but I don't know that, as an adult who's seen the tricks, that there's much point keeping going in the series. ( )
  mhanlon | Jul 19, 2016 |
Second in the series, read aloud to my 8-year-old. Like the first one, this was witty and a good read-aloud. Unfortunately, the premise is getting a bit repetitive at this point, and despite appearances, not a whole heck of a lot actually happens in this book. Nevertheless, we are both still enjoying this series, but I am somewhat afraid I will end up reading all 13. Perhaps it's time to gently encourage my son to read the rest of the installments to himself. ( )
  sturlington | May 25, 2016 |
The Baudelaire orphans are sent to live with their distant relative Uncle Monty, a herpetologist with plans to take the excited children with him on an expedition to Peru. But when Count Olaf reappears, the children find themselves trying desperately to avoid the trip.

This is actually the first book of the series that I read and it is therefore the one of which I am most fond. I remember very little about that first read except that I loved the crackle of the library book plastic, I was shocked and heartbroken by Uncle Monty's death, and I needed the next book immediately. I remember that I did read The Wide Window right after this and that I didn't quite get how creepy and evil Count Olaf was. I just knew he was a murderer, and the mentions of his behavior in the The Bad Beginning whoosed right out of my brain. I think I was just so busy devouring these books, hopeing for the orphans safety, that while I knew they were in danger, I didn't understand how grave it was. I just wanted to find the happy ending.

This series is such a gem and so much scarier than I anticipated it would be - most children's stories are so dark (Animorphs, anyone?) and this is no exception.

full review: rituleenreads.wordpress.com ( )
  Rituleen | May 13, 2016 |
Oh, I love Lemony Snicket. I love the Baudelaire orphans, I loved Uncle Monty and I might even love Count Olaf (a bit, from time to time, because he's part of these stories).
It is a sad, depressing, senseless, upsetting story about the bad things that can unfortunately happen in this world, meaning: It is the most enjoyable and entertaining book I've read in some time, making me burst with laughters or calmly grin on the explanation of all those "difficult words", then again cause me to hold my breath or shiver slightly.
In this volume, I was particularily fond of the Incredibly Deadly Viper. ( )
  kthxy | May 6, 2016 |
Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudelaire are intelligent children. They are charming, and resourceful, and have pleasant facial features. Unfortunately, they are exceptionally unlucky. In the first two books alone, the three youngsters encounter a greedy and repulsive villain, itchy clothing, a disastrous fire, a plot to steal their fortune, a lumpy bed, a deadly serpent, a large brass reading lamp, a long knife, and a terrible odour. In the tradition of great storytellers, from Dickens to Dahl, comes an exquisitely dark comedy that is both literary and irreverent, hilarious and deftly crafted. Never before has a tale of three likeable and unfortunate children been quite so enchanting, or quite so uproariously unhappy. Ages 10
  wichitafriendsschool | Mar 25, 2016 |

Lemony Snicketprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Snicket, Lemonymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Beatrice -- My love for you shall live forever. You, however, did not.
The stretch of road that leads out of the city, past Hazy Harbor and into the town of Tedia, is perhaps the most unpleasant in the world.

Dear Reader,

If you have picked up this book with the hope of finding a simple and cheery tale, I'm afraid you have picked up the wrong book altogether. The story may seem cheery at first, when the Baudelaire children spend time in the company of some interesting reptiles and a giddy uncle, but don't be fooled. If you know anything at all about the unlucky Baudelaire children, you already know that pleasant events lead down the same road to misery.

In fact, within the pages you now hold in your hands, the three siblings endure a car accident, a terrible odor, a deadly serpent, a long knife, a long brass reading lamp, and a reappearance of a person they'd hoped never to see again.

I am bound to record these tragic events, but you are free to put this book back on the shelf and seek something lighter.

With all due respect,

Lemony Snicket

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064407675, Hardcover)

The Reptile Room begins where Lemony Snicket's The Bad Beginning ends... on the road with the three orphaned Baudelaire children as they are whisked away from the evil Count Olaf to face "an unknown fate with some unknown relative." But who is this Dr. Montgomery, their late father's cousin's wife's brother? "Would Dr. Montgomery be a kind person? they wondered. Would he at least be better than Count Olaf? Could he possibly be worse?" He certainly is not worse, and in fact when the Baudelaire children discover that he makes coconut cream cakes, circles the globe looking for snakes to study, and even plans to take them with him on his scientific expedition to Peru, the kids can't believe their luck. And, if you have read the first book in this Series of Unfortunate Events, you won't believe their luck either. Despite the misadventures that befall these interesting, intelligent, resourceful orphans, you can trust that the engaging narrator will make their story--suspenseful and alarming as it is--a true delight. The Wide Window is next, and more are on their way. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:38 -0400)

After narrowly escaping the menacing clutches of the dastardly Count Olaf, the three Baudelaire orphans are taken in by a kindly herpetologist with whom they live happily for an all-too-brief time.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,392,121 books! | Top bar: Always visible