Orphelins Baudelaire 2. Le Laboratoire Aux…

Orphelins Baudelaire 2. Le Laboratoire Aux Serpents (original 1999; edition 1999)

by Lemony Snicket

Member:bergg
Title:Orphelins Baudelaire 2. Le Laboratoire Aux Serpents
Authors:Lemony Snicket
Info:Cle Intl (2002), Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:Fiction, To read
Rating:***1/2
Tags:ebook, fantaisie, jeune adulte, aventure, série Les désastreuses aventures des orphelins baudelaire

The Reptile Room by Lemony Snicket (1999)

English (109)  French (1)  All languages (110)
I am currently rereading the series and forgotten how wonderfully written it is. The vocabulary, little author quirks he slips in, and well-rounded characters. I finished this in one day. I don't want to reach the end of the series! ( )
  aliterarylion | Jul 14, 2014 |
** spoiler alert ** I was pleasantly surprised to find that I enjoyed this novel even more than the first. The character of Uncle Monty was incredibly lovable and his fate made me feel surprisingly sad.

Snicket's characteristic narration is as deliciously dark and witty as ever, including some nice literary allusions that will go over the heads of children but make their parents smile. Although the subject matter of the tale is as serious as that of the first novel, the humor provides a much needed light in the darkness.

I really can't wait to see how the plot moves on from here! ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Jul 8, 2014 |
I suppose its at this point that patterns emerge, and we really get to see where this series is going. This wasn't one of my personal favourites from the series, it was probably a bit tame compared to the rest. It also suffers from being a bit short, I like these books a bit longer, like they are later in the series. ( )
  katie1802 | May 10, 2014 |
I can't hardly wait to get to the next one!! ( )
  lmeza | Feb 6, 2014 |
These books are fantastic! Great bits of morality and vocabulary mixed in with an exciting story and a loveable lead trio. ( )
  aiturnizzle | Feb 4, 2014 |

Lemony Snicketprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Beatrice -- My love for you shall live forever. You, however, did not.
The stretch of road that leads out of the city, past Hazy Harbor and into the town of Tedia, is perhaps the most unpleasant in the world.
Dear Reader,

If you have picked up this book with the hope of finding a simple and cheery tale, I'm afraid you have picked up the wrong book altogether. The story may seem cheery at first, when the Baudelaire children spend time in the company of some interesting reptiles and a giddy uncle, but don't be fooled. If you know anything at all about the unlucky Baudelaire children, you already know that pleasant events lead down the same road to misery.

In fact, within the pages you now hold in your hands, the three siblings endure a car accident, a terrible odor, a deadly serpent, a long knife, a long brass reading lamp, and a reappearance of a person they'd hoped never to see again.

I am bound to record these tragic events, but you are free to put this book back on the shelf and seek something lighter.

With all due respect,

Lemony Snicket

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064407675, Hardcover)

The Reptile Room begins where Lemony Snicket's The Bad Beginning ends... on the road with the three orphaned Baudelaire children as they are whisked away from the evil Count Olaf to face "an unknown fate with some unknown relative." But who is this Dr. Montgomery, their late father's cousin's wife's brother? "Would Dr. Montgomery be a kind person? they wondered. Would he at least be better than Count Olaf? Could he possibly be worse?" He certainly is not worse, and in fact when the Baudelaire children discover that he makes coconut cream cakes, circles the globe looking for snakes to study, and even plans to take them with him on his scientific expedition to Peru, the kids can't believe their luck. And, if you have read the first book in this Series of Unfortunate Events, you won't believe their luck either. Despite the misadventures that befall these interesting, intelligent, resourceful orphans, you can trust that the engaging narrator will make their story--suspenseful and alarming as it is--a true delight. The Wide Window is next, and more are on their way. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:03 -0400)

After narrowly escaping the menacing clutches of the dastardly Count Olaf, the three Baudelaire orphans are taken in by a kindly herpetologist with whom they live happily for an all-too-brief time.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,693,922 books! | Top bar: Always visible