The Devil's Star by Jo Nesbo

The Devil's Star (2003)

by Jo Nesbo

Series: Harry Hole (5)

English (64)  Spanish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (70)
I hate rating this a 3 and it is not because the book is inferior but because of me, the reader, and my experience with Nesbo and the whole Harry Hole series. Bit of background: I have now read the entire Hole series. This is a series that is best enjoyed in order, at least from book 3 onwards. I had an awkward start, beginning with 4, then 6, then reading in order up to the present book. Then I went back and filled in the spaces by reading the missed books in order.

So here I start reading "Devil's Star" and it did take me quite some time to get into as I was remembering the death from a previous book and this book was populated with characters I knew would eventually be dead further down the series. One of the plots was long running and had been discussed previously and in books further along so I knew what would happen to the bad guy (and who he was) but was glad to "finally" read the book where it all came to a head. I was also feeling lackadaisical about Harry's private life as I knew where that would eventually go. But as to the *case* Harry is working, that came to me as fresh and while I guessed the identity of the serial killer early, I did also change my mind pretty quickly too, only to be proven correct the first time in the end! It was a good read and a compelling thriller after I got over the initial hump I read very quickly. It is tough to pick up a book in the middle of a series you know so well but I'm glad to have read it and finally am up-to-date with the series and will have to wait not-so-patiently for the newest release now. ( )
  ElizaJane | Jul 5, 2014 |
Jo Nesbo's The Devil's Star was about the Oslo's police force's hunt for a serial killer. It seemingly starts off with a young woman's murder in her flat and a five pointed red diamond is found behind her eyelid. Mueller has no choice but to pair both Harry Hole and Tom Waaler on the case since almost everybody is off on holiday.

Harry, of course, wants nothing to do with the case and ventures off on a missing persons case. Mueller, tired of Harry's drunken antics and unproven allegations of Waaler's involvement in Ellen's death, as already given Harry's retirement papers to the chief superintendent, who is also away on holiday.

When Harry's missing persons case connects with the murder case, the squad realizes they a serial murderer on their hands. Harry decides to stay sober long enough to catch maybe more than one killer.

The Devil's Star had me on the edge of my seat. It felt like a giant inhale. I could not even think about exhaling until everything ended up okay or as okay as anything can in a dark Norwegian crime novel. The character of Harry Hole pisses me off so much! He is so capable and talented and then he drinks and becomes stupid. He wounded up in a whole mess of trouble in Nemesis because of it. But he seems to be learning and maybe Raquel and little Oleg can help him with his demons. ( )
  Y2Ash | Apr 16, 2014 |
unknown
  Bruno_Estigarribia | Mar 31, 2014 |
Harry Hole pulls himself out of a drunken stupor to solve another big case. This was an enjoyable read. At first I thought it was too simple and predictable but there was a nice twist that I didn't see coming. ( )
  Kraga | Mar 17, 2014 |
Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole series getting better with each book. In this Harry Hole investigating a case which appears to be a ritual serial killer's work, he has to fight with the demons of his own life and with the mysterious 'Prince' too. ( )
  TheCrow2 | Feb 20, 2014 |

Vroom, Annelies deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zimnicka, IwonaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
林立仁Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
רות שפיראTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Das Haus war 1898 auf lehmigem Grund errichtet worden.
The house was built in 1898 on a clay base that had since sunk a tiny bit on the west-facing side, causing water to cross the wooden threshold where the door was hung.
Original title: Marekors

O detetive Harry Hole está de volta. Tentando superar a morte da ex-parceira de trabalho, obcecado em provar a culpa do também investigador Tom Waaler, abandonado pela namorada e afundado no alcoolismo, ele ainda tem de lidar com um misterioso assassinato de uma jovem. Quando novas mortes começam a ocorrer, e elementos em comum vão surgindo aos olhos de Harry, ele percebe que está diante de um perigoso serial killer.

In the heat of a sweltering Oslo summer, a young woman is found murdered in her flat—with one of her fingers cut off and a tiny red star-shaped diamond placed under her eyelid. An off-the-rails alcoholic barely holding on to his job, Detective Harry Hole is assigned the case with Tom Waaler, a hated colleague whom Harry believes is responsible for the murder of his partner. When another woman is reported missing five days later, and her severed finger turns up adorned with a red star-shaped diamond ring, Harry fears a serial killer is at work. But Hole's determination to capture a fiend and to expose Waaler's crimes is leading him into shadowy places where both investigations merge in unexpected ways, forcing him to make difficult decisions about a future he may not live to see.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:07 -0400)

"In the heat of a sweltering Oslo summer, a young woman is found murdered in her flat--with one of her fingers cut off and a tiny red star-shaped diamond placed under her eyelid. An off-the-rails alcoholic barely holding on to his job, Detective Harry Hole is assigned the case with Tom Waaler, a hated colleague who Harry believes is responsible for the murder of his partner. When another woman is reported missing five days later, and her severed finger turns up adorned with a red star-shaped diamond ring, Harry fears a serial killer is at work. But Hole's determination to capture a fiend and to expose Waaler's crimes is leading him into shadowy places where both investigations merge in unexpected ways, forcing him to make difficult decisions about a future he may not live to see." --from back cover.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,310,062 books! | Top bar: Always visible