The Devil's Star by Jo Nesbo

The Devil's Star (2003)

by Jo Nesbo

Series: Harry Hole (5)

English (69)  Spanish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (75)
READ IN DUTCH

I had read one book by Jo Nesbo (I don't know how to create that special character) and I liked it, so when I came across Marekors (in Dutch: Dodelijk Patroon) I wanted to read it).

Each fifth day, there's a ritual murder in Oslo. Harry Hole starts with his final weeks at the police due to his drinking problem. But he still gets involved in this case. So is his archenemy, Tom Waaler...

I didn't read all the books about Harry Hole yet, so I couldn't understand where everything about Tom Waaler was all about. But I guess that's my own mistake, because I didn't read them in the right order. I like the book. Especially in the beginning it starts with quite some murders and you are thrown right in to the story. I liked the writing style, it was fast and nice to read. It took me some time to get respect for the end of the book and the way Nesbo (forgive me that last letter) had made up the story.

But I start to think that alcoholism is an occupational disease for policemen... ( )
  Floratina | Sep 25, 2014 |
READ IN DUTCH

Floratina | Sep 21, 2014 |
I did not realize when I started this book that it was fifth in a series of ten, so far. While it does stand alone, I think I would recommend reading them in order.

Detective Inspector Harry Hole has been on a drunken bender for several weeks. Having been obsessed with the idea that a fellow cop, Tom Waaler, is corrupt and had killed two people in order to hide his activities, he had come to the conclusion that he was stymied and unable to take the case further. He has but one ally in the police department, his boss, Bjorn Moller. “Harry Hole.The lone wolf, the drunk, the department’s enfant terrible and, apart from Tom Waaler, the best detective on the sixth floor.” He’s occasionally totally dysfunctional with moments of brilliance.

They are confronted with a strange case where the killer seemingly picks his targets at random, leaving only a severed digit as a clue and red diamonds. Hole realizes that the killer is leaving a trail and the clues all revolve around the pentagon shape.

It took me a bit to get into the book, but once involved, it’s a real rush to the end with numerous tight curves and bends. Downgraded for intuitive insights on the part of Harry that seemed to spring out of thin air rather than from investigatory brilliance. ( )
  ecw0647 | Sep 12, 2014 |
Best suspense book that I have read in YEARS. ( )
  ChewDigest | Sep 12, 2014 |
Best suspense book that I have read in YEARS. ( )
  ChewDigest | Sep 12, 2014 |

Vroom, Annelies deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zimnicka, IwonaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
林立仁Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
רות שפיראTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Das Haus war 1898 auf lehmigem Grund errichtet worden.
The house was built in 1898 on a clay base that had since sunk a tiny bit on the west-facing side, causing water to cross the wooden threshold where the door was hung.
Original title: Marekors

O detetive Harry Hole está de volta. Tentando superar a morte da ex-parceira de trabalho, obcecado em provar a culpa do também investigador Tom Waaler, abandonado pela namorada e afundado no alcoolismo, ele ainda tem de lidar com um misterioso assassinato de uma jovem. Quando novas mortes começam a ocorrer, e elementos em comum vão surgindo aos olhos de Harry, ele percebe que está diante de um perigoso serial killer.

In the heat of a sweltering Oslo summer, a young woman is found murdered in her flat—with one of her fingers cut off and a tiny red star-shaped diamond placed under her eyelid. An off-the-rails alcoholic barely holding on to his job, Detective Harry Hole is assigned the case with Tom Waaler, a hated colleague whom Harry believes is responsible for the murder of his partner. When another woman is reported missing five days later, and her severed finger turns up adorned with a red star-shaped diamond ring, Harry fears a serial killer is at work. But Hole's determination to capture a fiend and to expose Waaler's crimes is leading him into shadowy places where both investigations merge in unexpected ways, forcing him to make difficult decisions about a future he may not live to see.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:07 -0400)

"In the heat of a sweltering Oslo summer, a young woman is found murdered in her flat--with one of her fingers cut off and a tiny red star-shaped diamond placed under her eyelid. An off-the-rails alcoholic barely holding on to his job, Detective Harry Hole is assigned the case with Tom Waaler, a hated colleague who Harry believes is responsible for the murder of his partner. When another woman is reported missing five days later, and her severed finger turns up adorned with a red star-shaped diamond ring, Harry fears a serial killer is at work. But Hole's determination to capture a fiend and to expose Waaler's crimes is leading him into shadowy places where both investigations merge in unexpected ways, forcing him to make difficult decisions about a future he may not live to see." --from back cover.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,887,457 books! | Top bar: Always visible