Das fünfte Zeichen. 6 CDs by Jo Nesboe

Das fünfte Zeichen. 6 CDs (original 2003; edition 2006)

by Jo Nesboe

Member:CrazyTabasco
Title:Das fünfte Zeichen. 6 CDs
Authors:Jo Nesboe
Info:Hoerbuch Hamburg (2006), Audio CD

The Devil's Star by Jo Nesbo (2003)

English (85)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (93)
On a roll with mystery/crime novels lately, I was more than happy to take on The Devil's Star when it arrived at my door. I curled up into the back seat of our car on the way home from a trip, and dove in. Let's just say that the two and a half hour trip FLEW by. When we arrived, I was done, completely baffled by the ending (in a good way), and really confused about how we had gotten home so quickly.

The Devil's Star is the brainchild of Jo Nesbo, and is the third Harry Hole novel to make the transition from its Norwegian roots to English. I wasn't aware when I first got the book that it was part of a series, but honestly it doesn't make much of a difference. Nesbo brings his characters to life so vividly that whether I was meeting Harry for the first time, or the third time, I still would have known all about his destructive and rather selfish lifestyle. Along with the cast of supporting characters, Harry's background story is woven into the overall murder mystery extremely well.

See Harry is an alcoholic, and Nesbo has no qualms with showing the gritty and realistic side of that lifestyle. Harry's character is like a walking tornado, making choices that seem to benefit him. but often leave others devastated in his wake. It's apparent that Harry is a complete mess, and his whole life suffers because of it. However, you also see the part of him that truly cares about what he does. As Harry navigates the mystery surrounding the murders you see the part of him that genuinely wants to solve these murders and lay things to rest. Sadly it's all too much and it leads him to drink. Harry is the type of character that you want to hug and then slap at the same time.

Well paced, and intriguing without being too bloody or gory, Nesbo weaves a murder mystery that will have you on the edge of your seat. With just enough red herrings thrown in completely baffle you, the ending comes as a huge surprise! The twists and turns are amazing, and I found myself on the wrong track more than once, only to realize that I was being mislead. It was fantastic. I won't lie, I didn't see the ending coming at all. Which is surprising because I generally solve these types of crime novels by half way through! Well played Nesbo, well played.

If you are a fan of novels full of mystery and suspense, or if you just love a good read, pick up a copy of The Devil's Star and dive in! I can guarantee you'll be through it in no time and wondering how to get your hands on the rest. Yes, it's that good. ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
This one was totally twisted and topsy-turvy. A stellar Nesbo read! ( )
  decaturmamaof2 | Nov 28, 2018 |
x ( )
  terran | Oct 9, 2018 |
I made the mistake of reading this book thinking it was a stand alone novel. I was very wrong and as I read it I find myself slightly confused as it seemed like I needed to figure out who these characters were and what was going on, which was entirely my own fault. That being said, it was a really good book! Very much fits the genre of Nordic Noir and I really enjoyed it, enough so to grab up a few of the other books with the hopes of eventually catching up with the series (which seems to be my life's story). ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Aug 2, 2018 |
A pile of Jo Nesbo books have been sitting in the hall for ages. There are too many of them and they all look the same so I almost took them back to the Oxfam shop. Glad I didn't because I'd forgotten how clever and interesting they are. I was gripped with the tension by the end. And it kept me engaged the whole way through - thinking of possibilities and working out theories. Have another half a star. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | May 27, 2018 |

Vroom, Annelies deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zimnicka, IwonaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
林立仁Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
רות שפיראTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The house was built in 1898 on a clay base that had since sunk a tiny bit on the west-facing side, causing water to cross the wooden threshold where the door was hung.

O detetive Harry Hole está de volta. Tentando superar a morte da ex-parceira de trabalho, obcecado em provar a culpa do também investigador Tom Waaler, abandonado pela namorada e afundado no alcoolismo, ele ainda tem de lidar com um misterioso assassinato de uma jovem. Quando novas mortes começam a ocorrer, e elementos em comum vão surgindo aos olhos de Harry, ele percebe que está diante de um perigoso serial killer.

In the heat of a sweltering Oslo summer, a young woman is found murdered in her flat—with one of her fingers cut off and a tiny red star-shaped diamond placed under her eyelid. An off-the-rails alcoholic barely holding on to his job, Detective Harry Hole is assigned the case with Tom Waaler, a hated colleague whom Harry believes is responsible for the murder of his partner. When another woman is reported missing five days later, and her severed finger turns up adorned with a red star-shaped diamond ring, Harry fears a serial killer is at work. But Hole's determination to capture a fiend and to expose Waaler's crimes is leading him into shadowy places where both investigations merge in unexpected ways, forcing him to make difficult decisions about a future he may not live to see.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:45 -0400)

"In the heat of a sweltering Oslo summer, a young woman is found murdered in her flat--with one of her fingers cut off and a tiny red star-shaped diamond placed under her eyelid. An off-the-rails alcoholic barely holding on to his job, Detective Harry Hole is assigned the case with Tom Waaler, a hated colleague who Harry believes is responsible for the murder of his partner. When another woman is reported missing five days later, and her severed finger turns up adorned with a red star-shaped diamond ring, Harry fears a serial killer is at work. But Hole's determination to capture a fiend and to expose Waaler's crimes is leading him into shadowy places where both investigations merge in unexpected ways, forcing him to make difficult decisions about a future he may not live to see." --from back cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,516,631 books! | Top bar: Always visible