The Devil's Star: A Harry Hole Novel by…

The Devil's Star: A Harry Hole Novel (original 2003; edition 2011)

by Jo Nesbo, Don Bartlett (Translator)

Member:govnusha
Title:The Devil's Star: A Harry Hole Novel
Authors:Jo Nesbo
Other authors:Don Bartlett (Translator)
Info:Harper Perennial (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:2012

The Devil's Star by Jo Nesbo (2003)

Recently added byBrian., PAR1216, private library, snowsigns67, Crispi, Vulco1, huahin56, BookMoogle, tnt78, doubletreechang

English (83)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (91)
x ( )
  terran | Oct 9, 2018 |
I made the mistake of reading this book thinking it was a stand alone novel. I was very wrong and as I read it I find myself slightly confused as it seemed like I needed to figure out who these characters were and what was going on, which was entirely my own fault. That being said, it was a really good book! Very much fits the genre of Nordic Noir and I really enjoyed it, enough so to grab up a few of the other books with the hopes of eventually catching up with the series (which seems to be my life's story). ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Aug 2, 2018 |
A pile of Jo Nesbo books have been sitting in the hall for ages. There are too many of them and they all look the same so I almost took them back to the Oxfam shop. Glad I didn't because I'd forgotten how clever and interesting they are. I was gripped with the tension by the end. And it kept me engaged the whole way through - thinking of possibilities and working out theories. Have another half a star. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | May 27, 2018 |
Harry Hole is on a bender, obsessed with truing to solve the murder of his partner. (I don't do alcoholics well). He is pulled into the case of "the courier killer" with nemesis Tom Waaler as it is summer and too many people are in holiday.Four people are murdered in locations that form an upside down pentagram.Intertwined with the murders is Tom's arms smuggling and a diamond smuggling operation. Harry solves the murders despite the killer's misdirection and Tom's interference, bringing Waaler to book by videotaping him in the act of trying to kill Harry and the murder suspect.Great plotting. Intertwined stories of relationships provide the misdirection.The quality of the writing gets me through my aversion to Harry's self destruction. ( )
  lmnopqr | Jun 23, 2017 |
Harry Hole is an unconventional and believable character. The crime involves serial killings in Oslo during an extremely hot summer. The city is deserted with most workers on holiday. Harry must solve the crime while he is waiting to be kicked off the force. Harry's life is in danger too when he determines that there is a connection between the murders and the corruption. All in all a very enjoyable read. ( )
  Hanneri | Jun 28, 2016 |

Vroom, Annelies deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zimnicka, IwonaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
林立仁Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
רות שפיראTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Das Haus war 1898 auf lehmigem Grund errichtet worden.
Huset var byggt 1898 på lergrund som hade gett efter lite grann på västsidan ...
The house was built in 1898 on a clay base that had since sunk a tiny bit on the west-facing side, causing water to cross the wooden threshold where the door was hung.
Original title: Marekors

O detetive Harry Hole está de volta. Tentando superar a morte da ex-parceira de trabalho, obcecado em provar a culpa do também investigador Tom Waaler, abandonado pela namorada e afundado no alcoolismo, ele ainda tem de lidar com um misterioso assassinato de uma jovem. Quando novas mortes começam a ocorrer, e elementos em comum vão surgindo aos olhos de Harry, ele percebe que está diante de um perigoso serial killer.

In the heat of a sweltering Oslo summer, a young woman is found murdered in her flat—with one of her fingers cut off and a tiny red star-shaped diamond placed under her eyelid. An off-the-rails alcoholic barely holding on to his job, Detective Harry Hole is assigned the case with Tom Waaler, a hated colleague whom Harry believes is responsible for the murder of his partner. When another woman is reported missing five days later, and her severed finger turns up adorned with a red star-shaped diamond ring, Harry fears a serial killer is at work. But Hole's determination to capture a fiend and to expose Waaler's crimes is leading him into shadowy places where both investigations merge in unexpected ways, forcing him to make difficult decisions about a future he may not live to see.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:45 -0400)

"In the heat of a sweltering Oslo summer, a young woman is found murdered in her flat--with one of her fingers cut off and a tiny red star-shaped diamond placed under her eyelid. An off-the-rails alcoholic barely holding on to his job, Detective Harry Hole is assigned the case with Tom Waaler, a hated colleague who Harry believes is responsible for the murder of his partner. When another woman is reported missing five days later, and her severed finger turns up adorned with a red star-shaped diamond ring, Harry fears a serial killer is at work. But Hole's determination to capture a fiend and to expose Waaler's crimes is leading him into shadowy places where both investigations merge in unexpected ways, forcing him to make difficult decisions about a future he may not live to see." --from back cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,632,436 books! | Top bar: Always visible