The Brooklyn Follies by Paul Auster

The Brooklyn Follies (2005)

by Paul Auster

English (69)  Spanish (10)  Dutch (3)  French (3)  Catalan (3)  Italian (3)  Portuguese (1)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (96)
I just wrote what I think was a very thoughtful and insightful review of The Brooklyn Follies. Then by accident, just as I was tinkering with the last sentence, my browser skipped back to the previous site it had viewed. All my words winked out of existence. So fine. That seems like something that Paul Auster might build into a potentially meaningful error, illustrating the folly of human effort and invention in a world that is unambiguously destined for eradication.

I liked this book. I didn't love it, but it had some memorable moments. It was also different enough from Auster's other books that, despite my reservations, I find I've grown a little more fond of it since completing it. It also has some nice little anecdotes about literature. I like those. ( )
1 vote phredfrancis | Feb 8, 2014 |
I am really struggling to figure out where the many positive reviews for this novel are coming from. First of all, the writing is trite and the dialogue is riddled with cliches. Although the plot, at first, seems creative, it quickly dissolves into a mess of overused and predictable twists. A "feel good" novel of the worst kind. ( )
  aea2142 | Jan 9, 2014 |
Even though it seems like just a normal story about a man coming back to Brooklyn to die, this book did something for me. I'm not sure what. It ends in such a perfectly discordant way, and I thought it was fantastic. I rooted for Uncle Nat and crazy Harry Brightman and Tom and Lucy and every character in the book. Auster makes them come alive. ( )
  amyolivia | Oct 25, 2013 |
There are already so many reivews, so I will just add that I enjoyed this book about a man who, upon retiring, divorcing and recovering from an illness, thinks his life is over and settles in to die. But, life is full of chance encounters and Nathan reunites with his family and establishes relationships with neighbours. Paul Auster brings us a story about belonging, family and uncertainty. ( )
  LynnB | Aug 29, 2013 |
This was a really enjoyable read even though the premise is that the protagonist, an older man, moves to NYC to die. What makes this book thoroughly engaging is how many stories about writers and life in general are found here. I also really enjoyed some of the conflicts-a child that refuses to talk, a woman who needs to be freed from the Christian right wing husband and in the midst of everything is the protagonist who realizes his life is pretty full of people who need him just as he was getting ready to join the choir invisible. ( )
1 vote kirstiecat | Mar 31, 2013 |

Paul Austerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jukarainen, ErkkiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my daughter Sophie
I was looking for a quiet place to die.

National Bestseller

A New York Times Book Review Editors' Choice

Nathan Glass has come to Brooklyn to die. Divorced, retired, estranged from his only daughter, the former life insurance salesman seeks only solitude and anonymity. Then Glass encounters his long-lost nephew, Tom Wood, who is working in a local bookstore--a far cry from the brilliant academic career Tom had begun when Nathan saw him last. Tom's boss is the colorful and charismatic Harry Brightman--a.k.a. Harry Dunkel--once the owner of a Chicago art gallery, whom fate has also brought to the "ancient kingdom of Brooklyn, New York." Through Tom and Harry, Nathan's world gradually broadens to include a new circle of acquaintances. He soon finds himself drawn into a scam involving a forged page of The Scarlet Letter, and begins to undertake his own literary venture, The Book of Human Folly, an account of "every blunder, every pratfall, every embarrassment, every idiocy, every foible, and every inane act I have committed during my long and checkered career as a man."

The Brooklyn Follies is Paul Auster's warmest, most exuberant novel, a moving, unforgettable hymn to the glories and mysteries of ordinary human life.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:05 -0400)

Retired life insurance salesman Nathan Glass moves to Brooklyn to find anonymity and solitude through his declining years, but a chance meeting with Tom Wood, his long-lost nephew, forces him to come to terms with his past.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,118,816 books! | Top bar: Always visible