How Sex Works: Why We Look, Smell, Taste,…

How Sex Works: Why We Look, Smell, Taste, Feel, and Act the Way We Do (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Sharon Moalem

Member:bucketyell
Title:How Sex Works: Why We Look, Smell, Taste, Feel, and Act the Way We Do
Authors:Sharon Moalem
Info:
Collections:Read in 2009
Tags:READ >2011

How Sex Works: Why We Look, Smell, Taste, Feel, and Act the Way We Do by Sharon Moalem (2009)

Birds do it, bees do it, but why do humans do it? In this wide-ranging look at the evolutionary reasons for sex, physiologist and evolutionary biologist Moalem says that it's all about shuffling the gene pool and getting rid of any unwelcome guests, such as viruses, that may have latched onto human DNA. But why is one particular person attracted to another? Moalem relays the latest research showing that smell plays a very important role in attraction, and that even our genes may influence one's smell, and thus a person's desirability, to others. Scientists have found that women tend to be attracted to different types of men at different points in their ovulation cycles (dark and handsome hunks at their height; sensitive, care-giving types at other times). Moalem (Survival of the Sickest) whizzes through his discussion of homosexuality, neglecting angles that would have added to the book, but readers will find thought-provoking material in his chapter on differences in sexual anatomy and on how chromosomes and body parts aren't always what we expect them to be. Moalem writes fluidly for the general reader, and when he necessarily goes into graphic detail, he does it gracefully. ( )
  MarkBeronte | Jan 7, 2014 |
Terribly written and disorganized. The book is full of scattered 'facts' and speculation. While some of the information is interesting (and practical), the overall presentation is very poor. ( )
  mofoty | Nov 7, 2011 |
Clinical and somewhat enlightening on the neurological aspects of attraction.
  kedicat | Sep 29, 2011 |
I was very surprised by how much information is in this book. The author, Dr. Moalem does not dwell on one topic for long. Because of this, the book kept my interest. Some of the information shocked me (not in a bad way, just I never heard of it), and I was so surprised I looked it up the internet to confirm (or deny) his research. ( )
  Readingfanatic1 | Aug 4, 2010 |
A quick easy read with a few interesting facts. My problem with books of this type is that ultimately they don't amount to much - they are a collection of facts with references to interesting research in the chosen field. Bonk by Mary Roach has the same theme but Dr. Moalem's effort is definitely better.
  ubaidd | Jan 6, 2010 |
To my parents

Why do we need sex? Looking back into our evolutionary past, Dr. Sharon Moalem explores the ways in which the struggle to survive and create healthy offspring has determined - and continues to influence - our sexuality. Beginning with the sexual practices of various animals and plants, Dr. Moalem traces the evolution of sex across species and time periods to discuss its current role in human societies. From the finely tuned structure and function of human sex organs, to the developmental mysteries of having both male and female sexes, to the peculiar biology of sexual attraction, this new book presents a series of strange and fascinating discoveries about the human mating game.Dr. Moalem's research also examines recent discoveries related to contraception, pregnancy, sexuality, and sterility. Dr. Moalem's unique evolutionary perspective offers readers a new understanding of the creative roles that culture, biology, and time have all played in shaping our wonderfully varied and complicated sexuality. In answering these and many other questions, he provides an entertaining, comprehensive history that goes far beyond our classic 'birds and bees' understanding of sex. This is a book that challenges common perceptions about our bodies with astonishing discoveries from the very frontiers of evolutionary science.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:20 -0400)

Neurogeneticist Moalem takes us on a trip from prehistory to the forefront of cutting-edge medical research, and through a bedroom or two, to tell the story of how human sexuality has developed over time. This book challenges common perceptions about our bodies and presents astonishing discoveries from the frontiers of science as it traces the transformation of sex across species and through time to its current role in human societies. Find out the answers to such provocative questions as: Can the birth control pill influence the type of men women are attracted to? What do men and honeybees have in common when it comes to sex? When are women most likely to cheat? From the composition and function of human sex organs to the fascinating biochemistry behind sexual attraction, How Sex Works presents captivating new ideas and surprising answers to questions about contraception, fertility, circumcision, menopause, STDs, homosexuality, orgasms, and more.--From publisher description.… (more)

66 wanted2 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,415,990 books! | Top bar: Always visible