Your Money or Your Life: 9 Steps to…

Your Money or Your Life: 9 Steps to Transforming Your Relationship with… (original 1992; edition 2008)

by Vicki Robin (Author)

Member:adam.koprowski
Title:Your Money or Your Life: 9 Steps to Transforming Your Relationship with Money and Achieving Financial Independence: Fully Revised and Updated for 2018
Authors:Vicki Robin (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (2008), Edition: Revised, 368 pages
Tags:read-2018, non-fiction

Your Money or Your Life by Joe Dominguez (1992)

Enough: Breaking Free from the World of More by John Naish (miralaluna, miralaluna)
    Affluenza: The All-Consuming Epidemic by John de Graaf (kellyholmes)
    The Cheapskate Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of Americans Living Happily Below Their Means by Jeff Yeager (jeremyhoover)
    jeremyhoover: The Cheapskate Next Door provides interesting stories about and tips from people who would understand the nine-step formula in YMOYL. It's a nice companion book.
    Getting a Life: Strategies for Simple Living Based on the Revolutionary Program for Financial Freedom, "Your Money or Your Life" by Jacquelyn Blix (arjan_m)
    How to Be Free by Tom Hodgkinson (miralaluna, miralaluna)
    Zero Cost Living: Exploring Extreme Frugality by James R. Delcamp (WalkingMan)
    The Life Audit: A Step-by-Step Guide to Taking Stock, Gaining Control, and Creating the Life You Want... Now by Caroline Righton (Silvernfire)
    Silvernfire: The Life Audit is like taking the analysis and tracking you do for your finances in Your Money or Your Life and applying it to the rest of your life (your relationships, your image, your health, and most of all, your time).

English (29)  Swedish (1)  All languages (30)
Smart basic personal finance book. It could have been 100 pages instead of 400. ( )
  lucaconti | Jan 24, 2019 |
I found this book to be quite informative, especially for those who are beginning to handle their own finances. I have been tracking my finances for some time and recently watching those expenses so that I can reach financial independence sooner. Still, those book was helpful in rethinking some things and reinforcing others. Yes, it is not the perfect book on financial independence but it is a very good book in assisting one in rethinking how they handle money.

I am a frugal person by nature, but have changed my perspective and approaches to reach my goals sooner. Not everything may work for everyone. Each has to find their own path and figure what works for them, but this book is a good start and should be a recommended read. ( )
  grumpydan | Sep 16, 2018 |
I think a good alternate title for this book would be Money Mindfulness or Meditation for Money. It's primarily aimed at changing one's psychological relationship with money and encouraging everyone to become more aware of purpose and meaning in life, with the limited amount of time we have left.

I'd give it 5 stars, if not for some of the writing being a little cliche, with repetition of the importance of "the program." Still, I appreciate the "try it and decide for yourself" attitude throughout most of the book, and I got a few great book recommendations, as well. I'm currently halfway through Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl, and I'm riveted. ( )
  poppycock77 | May 26, 2018 |
Philosophy about and practical steps you can make to change the way you relate to money in order to live more deliberately and meaningfully.
  Lake_Oswego_UCC | May 21, 2017 |
Robin, Vicki, and Joe Dominguez. Your Money or Your Life: 9 Steps to Transforming Your Relationship with Money and Achieving Financial Independence: Revised and Updated for the 21st Century. 2008.

This classic work lays out steps to first become more aware of your financial position and spending habits, and then use that knowledge to work toward financial independence. If you know how much money you are spending on your job (commuting, work lunches, etc.), for instance, you might find it possible to spend LESS.

Not all of the advice struck me as particularly helpful, and the investment section is extremely cautious. However, the authors specify that you can do the steps out of order, which is a little unusual for this kind of book--they so often tell you that you MUST go in order. Calculating your real hourly wage struck me as particularly helpful for making spending decisions.In general, even this update seems out of date; their suggestions for tracking spending and net worth are very pencil-and-paper oriented, for instance. Still, the basic concept that knowledge of your financial reality is empowering (and the ways they suggest gaining that knowledge) is well-conveyed. ( )
  jholcomb | Mar 16, 2015 |

Dominguez, Joeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Robin, Vickimain authorall editionsconfirmed
Farrell, RussellCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hartman, VictoriaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tilford, Moniquesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We dedicate this book to all of the people

who are actively engaged in leaving our planet

in better shape than they found it.
"Your money or your life."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140286780, Paperback)

There's a big difference between "making a living" and making a life. Do you spend more than you earn? Does making a living feel more like making a dying? Do you dislike your job but can't afford to leave it? Is money fragmenting your time, your relationships with family and friends? If so, Your Money or Your Life is for you.

From this inspiring book, learn how to get out of debt and develop savings reorder material priorities and live well for less resolve inner conflicts between values and lifestyles convert problems into opportunities to learn new skills attain a wholeness of livelihood and lifestyle save the planet while saving money and much more

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:44 -0400)

In an age of great economic uncertainty when everyone is concerned about money and how they spend what they have, this new edition of the bestselling Your Money or Your Life is an essential read. With updated resources, an easy-to-use index, and anecdotes and examples particularly relevant today it tells you how to get out of debt and develop savings, reorder material priorities and live well for less, resolve inner conflicts between values and lifestyle, save the planet while saving money and much more.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,504,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible