Serenity (Volume 2): Better Days by Joss…

Serenity (Volume 2): Better Days (edition 2008)

by Joss Whedon, Brett Matthews (Author), Will Conrad (Illustrator), Michelle Madsen (Colors), Michael Heisler (Letters)

Member:MsCellophane
Title:Serenity (Volume 2): Better Days
Authors:Joss Whedon (Author)
Other authors:Brett Matthews (Author), Will Conrad (Illustrator), Michelle Madsen (Colors), Michael Heisler (Letters)
Info:Dark Horse Books (2008), Paperback
Collections:Your library, Illinois library
Tags:comics

Serenity: Better Days by Joss Whedon

--- 3.5 stars --

Wait, so Inara had sex with Simon? What? How? Why? When? I AM SO CONFUSED.

...which basically sums up my experience with Better Days.

In short, the crew is pursued by a high-tech, top o' the line drone while robbing a ... museum? Mansion? Since they can't outrun it, they bring it on board and try to sell it to a ... colleague ... in exchange for a hot tip on where a giant stash of money is hidden. When it turns out to be even more than they expected, Wash, River, Jayne, Simon, Kaylee, and Shep fantasize about what they'll do with their share. (Cue comic relief. River's is like a fever dream meets a Fruity Oaty Bar! commercial. In other words, the best.) The drone's owners are hot on their tail, as is some military guy - a client of Inara's, incidentally (or is it?) - who's still hunting "dust bunnies" from the war. There's a Gozilla vs. Mothra sitch, yada yada yada, and ooops! Money's gone.

The colors on the art are lovely - lots of rich browns and gold - but the likenesses are hit or miss and pretty inconsistent, even across individual characters. River's got mousy brown hair in one panel and in another, on the same page, it's black. Many of the secondary dudes look interchangeable, which made the action hard to follow ... especially when there are three separate groups (or maybe four? Hard to tell!)

The daydream sequences are pretty sweet, and it's great to see badass River show herself for a change.

Total dick move on Mal's part, though. Seriously Captain? ( )
1 vote smiteme | Jul 12, 2016 |
*Book source ~ Library

From Goodreads:
Serenity: Better Days follows everyone's favorite space cowboys in a thrilling, action-packed adventure, where Mal and his crew take on a heist that promises a big payoff. But when one of Serenity's crew is taken captive and tortured, the gang must put their enduring differences aside and work together to save one of their own, even if it means losing the cash prize of a lifetime!

The artwork is decent and the storyline isn’t too bad. I’m not jumping for joy or anything though. I guess it might help if I watch the show. But really, this graphic novel should make me want to claim the tv from the rest of the family and binge watch. Unfortunately, it doesn’t. ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Mar 10, 2016 |
LOVE IT always have this is a great story with fantastic pictures. ( )
  nraichlin | Jan 26, 2016 |
Serenity: Better Days by Joss Whedon, Brett Matthews and Will Conrad (2008) – Captain Malcolm Reynolds of the Firefly-class starship Serenity and his crew of misfits endure another battle after their heist of some valuable art works. Although they are outgunned, they somehow manage to escape and even capture a valuable piece of equipment from their attackers. They discover that the sale of this piece of equipment could make the entire crew of Serenity very wealthy and the reader gets to share their musings about how they will live with the wealth. However, selling the booty could be a very complicated process. This is another beautifully done graphic novel with an interesting and entertaining story about Mal and his space marauders. Fans of the short-lived TV series and the Serenity movie should especially enjoy it. ( )
  clark.hallman | Dec 9, 2014 |
Okay, so I went to the library to pick up a few dvds for a few days I had scheduled off work, and I just had to pick up new installments of Serenity and Buddha while I was there. As far as I could tell, this was the next Serenity graphic novel, so I picked it up. Started reading it on the bus and finished it before they called my name in the doctor's waiting room.

This story starts in the middle of action, and it was confusing to try to figure out just when this story was. The back of the book establishes that it was written after Those Left Behind, but it clearly takes place before it. Later, after I'd finished reading, I looked up a timeline on the internet and found that indeed, it took place after the TV series, but before Left Behind. Ok. Glad that's clear.

Although the credits claim the same artist illustrated Better Days as Those Left Behind, I had a totally different experience with the artwork this time. Maybe I got used to his style, maybe he hit his stride, I don't know. This time faces were the familiar faces that I loved, this time pages were sumptuous when they needed to be, gory when they needed to be, many individual expressions were so spot-on perfect that I had to stop and stare at them awhile to fully appreciate them. There was one action sequence where I'm still a little murky on what exactly happened and how, but I'm willing to let that slide.

As for the writing -- well, I defy any lover of these characters (and really, who else would be reading these?) not to delight in the crew's fantasies of what they would do if they were dirty filthy rich. The crew interactions in this scene capture much of what was best about the series.

Anyway. I'm not going to go on and on. I thoroughly enjoyed this. ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |
After the Earth was used up, we found a new control system, and hundreds of new Earths were terra-formed and colonized.
Please do not combine Serenity: Better Days, which is the second collected volume of the Serenity comics, with the second issue of Serenity: Better Days.

12 yrs+.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,221,903 books! | Top bar: Always visible