Serenity (Volume 2): Better Days by Joss…

Serenity (Volume 2): Better Days (edition 2008)

by Joss Whedon (Author), Brett Matthews (Author), Will Conrad (Illustrator), Michelle Madsen (Colors), Michael Heisler (Letters)

Member:MsCellophane
Title:Serenity (Volume 2): Better Days
Authors:Joss Whedon (Author)
Other authors:Brett Matthews (Author), Will Conrad (Illustrator), Michelle Madsen (Colors), Michael Heisler (Letters)
Info:Dark Horse Books (2008), Paperback
Collections:Your library, Illinois library
Tags:comics

Serenity: Better Days by Joss Whedon

Okay, so I went to the library to pick up a few dvds for a few days I had scheduled off work, and I just had to pick up new installments of Serenity and Buddha while I was there. As far as I could tell, this was the next Serenity graphic novel, so I picked it up. Started reading it on the bus and finished it before they called my name in the doctor's waiting room.

This story starts in the middle of action, and it was confusing to try to figure out just when this story was. The back of the book establishes that it was written after Those Left Behind, but it clearly takes place before it. Later, after I'd finished reading, I looked up a timeline on the internet and found that indeed, it took place after the TV series, but before Left Behind. Ok. Glad that's clear.

Although the credits claim the same artist illustrated Better Days as Those Left Behind, I had a totally different experience with the artwork this time. Maybe I got used to his style, maybe he hit his stride, I don't know. This time faces were the familiar faces that I loved, this time pages were sumptuous when they needed to be, gory when they needed to be, many individual expressions were so spot-on perfect that I had to stop and stare at them awhile to fully appreciate them. There was one action sequence where I'm still a little murky on what exactly happened and how, but I'm willing to let that slide.

As for the writing -- well, I defy any lover of these characters (and really, who else would be reading these?) not to delight in the crew's fantasies of what they would do if they were dirty filthy rich. The crew interactions in this scene capture much of what was best about the series.

Anyway. I'm not going to go on and on. I thoroughly enjoyed this. ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |
This one takes off where Vol. 1 left off.
Some more insight into the all too painful relationship of Malcomb and Inara. Trying to setup to be the bridge to the movie, it above all, is too short. Long story short, they heist some stuff, almost die, and make a bunch of money. ( )
  fulner | Jul 15, 2014 |
1 ( )
  PhotoS | Feb 17, 2014 |
If you are Firefly fan the story, in Serenity: Better Days, is one that could have been an episode from the early canceled television series. They have job, bad guys are after them, and then the job they had ends with them screwed over with no payment. I should also mention this all takes place before the movie, Serenity.

I liked the fact that Firefly has continued to comics since the show was canceled too early. The art was decent, although sometimes it was not quite right.

As I said that this could have been a episode because I had to read it twice and a lot of the story was not staying in my brain. Even now I am forgetting it.

I probably should only give 3 out of 5 stars for this one but I am partial to anything Joss Whedon so I added another star for the Browncoats. ( )
  lavenderagate | Jan 26, 2014 |
A fun romp with the Serenity characters; nice to see them again but the TV show was better. Realistic artwork to make the characters look like the television ones. Story was OK, nothing special. ( )
  questbird | Sep 4, 2013 |
After the Earth was used up, we found a new control system, and hundreds of new Earths were terra-formed and colonized.
Please do not combine Serenity: Better Days, which is the second collected volume of the Serenity comics, with the second issue of Serenity: Better Days.

12 yrs+.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,949,795 books! | Top bar: Always visible