Strangers In Paradise | Pocket Book Volume 1…
Member:Marzeh
Title:Strangers In Paradise | Pocket Book Volume 1
Authors:Terry Moore
Info:Abstract Studio (2004), Edition: 1ST, Paperback, 360 pages
Collections:Your library, Comics
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Comics, Abstract Studios, Love or Romance

Strangers in Paradise Pocket Book 1 by Terry Moore (2004)

Not sure about this yet! I mostly like it, but I didn't expect it to secretly a tale of crime and intrigue, and I'm worried both plot and characters will get a little tired, soap operatic, and cliched. Also the poetry/songwriting is pretty bad. Also also, characters who are unable to articulate that they are bisexual annoy me (angst about it = fine, obliviousness about the existence of the label itself = unrealistic).

However! I do like the characters and care about what happens to them, so I will probably keep reading. Also the art is pretty.

I was confused by the publication date of 2004 - in fact this was self-published starting in the mid-nineties, which is why it feels like it was written in the early to mid nineties and not simply nostalgically set at that time. So the author gets props for self-publishing. ( )
  raschneid | Mar 31, 2013 |
I'm not a huge fan of the art, but it's not awful or anything. I'm also not completely sure if I liked the story. I was certainly enthralled during certain parts, but for most of it I was just indifferent. I've heard great things about Strangers In Paradise, but I don't know if I'll continue the series. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | May 29, 2012 |
In the world of Moore's award--attracting comic book Strangers in Paradise, best friends Francine and Katchoo are young women trying to find their places. Katchoo, a talented artist, is secretly in love with Francine. When Katchoo meets David at an art museum, it seems to be by chance, and the two build a strong friendship, despite David's desire for more. Just when Katchoo's little love triangle begins getting complicated, the Mafia past she thought she had walked away from arises to try to destroy her life. Moore's attention to detail in characterization makes Katchoo and the gang jump off the page. The story has an epic feel but never loses the details of the characters' lives. Bouncing between scope and scale, Moore also never loses the reader in the transitions. His art has a bright, clean look; he manages to be cute and also very dark when darkness is appropriate. The combination of art and storytelling elements allows Katchoo, Francine, and David to be touching and to make one care about where they are going. (BookList, 03-15-2005, p1280) . ( )
  juntaobrien | Mar 11, 2011 |
Summary: Katchoo is a young and attractive artist, living with her best friend, Francine. Right at the same time Francine's relationship (with the rather sleazy Freddie) is breaking apart, Katchoo meets David, a quiet and kind-hearted young man who is instantly smitten with her. However hard David tries, however, Katchoo is herself quietly in love with Francine. The three of them muddle their way through the resultant triangle... until Katchoo's past starts to catch up with them, in the form of a ruthless former employer, and $85k in missing money that they think Katchoo still has.

Review: I didn't know much about this series when I started the book, apart from the fact that a) it came highly recommended, and b) it was about "love, sex, and relations with other human beings" (courtesy of Neil Gaiman's blurb on the cover). So while I wasn't quite sure what to expect (other than a good read), it turned out to be very different than I was expecting (although it was definitely still a good read; I got that part right.)

This book is a really strange mix of outlandishness and immediate recognizable reality. That is, the plot is overblown and almost soapy - I mean, missing mob money? - but the characters, and the life choices that lead to the soapy plot points, are shockingly real. Katchoo and Francine (and David) feel like real people, act and react and interact like real people. They fall in love where it's not convenient or smart to do so. They get mad and say things they don't mean (or that they really do mean), and those things always have consequences. They fight and they joke and they bitch and they make stupid decisions and it all seems very familiar, and very real. The artwork also has this same blend of overblown yet real; it's stylized for sure, but everyone looks believably human. It was particularly refreshing to see women in the comics that aren't waifs, and have real, natural-looking bodies.

Pocket book #1 apparently contains parts 1-3 of the original series, out of a total of 19. I have as little idea about where the series is going to go in the next sixteen parts as I did going into this one, but now that I know and love the characters, and know how much heart and truth the story contains, I'm eager to find out. 4 out of 5 stars.

Recommendation: If you like love stories and have been meaning to read more graphic novels, but aren't into superheroes or fantasy, Strangers in Paradise might be right up your alley. Actually, even if you do like superheroes and fantasy, SiP is well worth a try. ( )
2 vote fyrefly98 | Jan 3, 2011 |
Strangers in Paradise is part Thelma and Louise, part soap opera, part gangster film and all heart. It follows best friends Katchoo and Francine through the series of events set in motion when Katchoo is arrested attempting to extract a little revenge on behalf of Francine. All of this is mere window dressing for the push and pull of friendship, the complications of love that cannot be returned and the heavy weight that secrets kept too long have on all of those we claim close. While some of the twists and turns can rival most soap operas for dramatic reveals, these are easily forgiven in favor of the reality of the utter ease with which Moore is able to capture that attempt to connect and put complete trust in another human being. Then again, perhaps Moore understood all too well that if you're going to follow the ups and downs of the human heart, you need a storyline to match. ( )
2 vote stephmo | Apr 26, 2010 |
10 years ago...Puncture High School

My life is scribbling and scratching and half finished pages at dawn.

Chronicles the relationship between three friends--Katchoo, Francine, and David--and the people they fall in and out of love with.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,718,720 books! | Top bar: Always visible