Collected Poems by Arthur Rimbaud

Collected Poems

by Arthur Rimbaud

Europe (167)

English (2)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (1)  French (1)  All languages (6)
I can translate French well enough that I could grasp some of this, though I have no prior experience with other French poetry of the period. What I understood was gorgeous -- and the prose translations underneath did help, despite being, well, prosaic.

I'm going to keep working on understanding this fully... ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
This is a side by French and German translation of Rimbaud's best. It is such a joy to read this book and it was my introduction to Arthur Rimbaud's poetry. I have an old copy with the ribbon bookmark. I have often spotted on Seattle buses reading this. ( )
  mgkbus | Mar 13, 2007 |
For Liam, Bethany, Rachel, and Katie

I'd have liked to show children blue-water
Dorados, golden fish and fish that sing
(Rimbaud)
{Translator's dedication: Sorrell, Oxford}

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0140420649, Paperback)

'The poet makes himself a seer by a long, prodigious, and rational disordering of all the senses...' Rimbaud was sixteen when he made this famous declaration. By 1886, then thirty-two and an explorer, trader and slave-trader on the Red Sea, he had absolutely no interest in the fate or success of the poetry infused with mysticism, alchemy and magic that he had written in his teens. That same year, in Paris, "Les Illuminations" was being published as the work of 'the late' Arthur Rimbaud, first in a Symbolist periodical and then in book form, with an Introduction by his former lover, Verlaine. Seldom has a writer's vision of changing the world through words failed so spectacularly as did Rimbaud's. That failure turned him into an incomparable tragic poet: not only 'a wild undisciplined genius, a mystic philosopher and thinker, an inspired poet' but also, according to Enid Starkie, 'one of the most finished artists ...a supreme master of prosody and style'. This 'Penguin Classic' reproduces the text of "The Pleiade edition", 1954, with selected letters and prose translations that have been highly acclaimed.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:36 -0400)

Rimbaud had no interest in the fate or success of the poetry infused with mysticism, alchemy and magic that he had written in his teens. This title reproduces the text of The Pleiade edition, 1954, with letters and prose translations.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,392,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible