Law School Confidential (Revised Edition): A…

Law School Confidential (Revised Edition): A Complete Guide to the Law…

by Robert H. Miller

Parts of this guide are a little fluffy, but it can be easily skimmed in a couple of hours, and does have some very good advice. Even though I think a lot of the tips are things that I might pick up eventually on my own, it's a great stress-reliever going into law school. Miller's study tips aren't as helpful as his more practical/life tips, but it's a good overview of the law school experience. ( )
  perzsa | Oct 2, 2010 |
If there was ever a book to convince me not to go to law school...
Seriously thought it was a great resources but along with my stint as a paralegal that didn't enjoy reminded me of why I'm not going down this path. This had a great balance of information and anecdotes from those who have "been there, done that." Needs to be updated again but is generally still a good resource. ( )
  skinglist | Jun 28, 2009 |
This book is very much like others of its kind and you'll be okay if you skip it. Here's what you need to know about law school: you will be miserable (maybe even clinically so) and may see some undesirable personality traits emerge, in yourself and others; be prepared to live with the stress of high expectations for, and no feedback on, performance in an environment where everything is evaluated on a curve; keep up with your reading; and write your exams as if you were explaining the law to a two-year-old. If you still need a book like this, you might as well get this one; it's no worse than the others. ( )
  citygirl | Sep 13, 2007 |
This was a simple, straightforward take on what to expect from law school and how to get ahead of the competition (necessary when most law schools operate on a strict curve system).

Personally, I found his study system helpful. It gave me 'a plan' to help ease my anxiety about going to a competitive law school. Most of his advice is common-sense, and his system is hardly innovative (or even something most law students don't do anyway), but it provides a stress-reliever.

There are some blatant contradictions in this book on dorm life, studying, briefing, etc., but this is only to be expected in a book with multiple students as authors.

My main problems with the book were:

a) he seemed to assume all students wanted to (or would have to) go into large law firms and tailored his tips to that end

b) his suggestions on choosing the school that is right ignores some basic truths about selection. If you don't pay attention to the climate, urban environment etc. because 'that's not what really matters', you'll end up far more stressed out and miserable than you already will be. Take these things into consideration. You don't need to be homesick or wishing with all your heart for sun in a dreary New England climate when you're used to people calling you 'hon' when they serve you and not having to turn on the heat until November.

c) I hated, absolutely HATED, all of the plugs he got in. While I appreciated his adding which study guides he thought were best for 1L classes, his shameless plugs of the Law Preview course, the Kaplan and Princeton Review courses, the bar exam courses... It just irritated me.

d) I was irritated that *his* firm in NEW HAMPSHIRE was one of the ones that was interviewed about what kind of associates they are looking for... seriously...New Hampshire?

e) Were the biographies of the students really necessary?

All told, this helped ease my mind before I went to law school, but I definitely take the advice with a grain of salt... And do my best not to look at the overly strained metaphors... ( )
  Caramellunacy | Jul 11, 2006 |
Congratulations! By picking up and opening this book, you have just taken the first significant step toward building a productive, successful, and perhaps an even pleasant law school experience.

Law School Confidential is written for students about to embark on this three-year odyssey by students who have successfully survived. It demystifies the life-altering thrill ride that defines an American legal education by providing a comprehensive, blow-by-blow, chronological account of what to expect. It arms students with a thorough overview of the contemporary law school experience. This isn't the advice of graying professors or battle-scarred practitioners decades removed from law school. Miller has assembled a panel of recent graduates to act as "mentors", all of whom are perfectly positioned to shed light on what law school is like today. From taking the LSAT, to securing financial aid, to navigating the notorious first semester, to taking exams, to applying for summer internships, to getting on the law review, to tackling the bar and beyond...this book explains it all.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:44 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,332,765 books! | Top bar: Always visible