The Late, Lamented Molly Marx by Sally…

The Late, Lamented Molly Marx

by Sally Koslow

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold (hjjugovic)
    hjjugovic: This book explored the same theme first, and, in my opinion, better.

English (72)  German (1)  All languages (73)
Molly Marx is dead but tells her story from a limbo-like place called the Duration. She follows the investigation into her death while visiting all of her family and friends. Fast paced witty and just a little bit thought provoking. Great summer read! ( )
  lindap69 | Apr 5, 2013 |
Molly Marx died, but she doesn't know how. She doesn't pass on, though--she is still on Earth, watching over her family, friends, and her young daughter. She starts at her funeral and then relives different memorable times from her past. From her objective standpoint, Molly is able to see the truth of her relationships and what kind of person she is. At the same time, police are attempting to figure out the circumstances surrounding Molly's death.

It was a little hard for me to relate to Molly when I was reading this book. While I liked her character and point of view, I could not really relate to her life--socioeconomically, having an affair, or having children. (oh, and obviously not being dead. Kidding!) This might sound ridiculous because who needs to relate to the protagonist to enjoy a book, right? I think this is only the case for me in a few instances, one of which is chick lit or women's fiction. I found her narration very funny and witty from the get-go but it didn't hold up for the entirety.

Overall, I feel like this book is well-written and more interesting than most popular women's fiction out there. And I see that Target even picked it up for their limited collection of books. Brava [a:Sally Koslow|66632|Sally Koslow|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1275957349p2/66632.jpg]!

I won this ARC from the Goodreads Giveaway program. Thanks to the publisher! ( )
  FlanneryAC | Mar 31, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I couldn't get into this book. I've tried several times over the course of a year and it wouldn't grab my attention. I'll try again in a year or so. My tasted seems to change every few years.
  booboobad | Jun 16, 2012 |
I don't think this book is the same as The Lovely Bones - the writing style here is much more engaging and entertaining. Because the main character here is not a child, and there isn't any sexual abuse, the story here is much lighter. I enjoyed this book, which I would consider a richer-than-usual chick lit book. ( )
  karinatrandom | Mar 7, 2011 |
I read Alice Sebold's The Lovely Bones a few years ago when it was first becoming popular - before it was made into a movie. I loved that book because it was wholly unlike anything I had ever read before. This book didn't have that luxury because it is basically the same thing, only for a grown up woman, not a teenage girl. I'm sure some women (that's who I guess this book is aimed at) would love this book for its complicated relationships and self determined narrator. I, however, grow tired of reading about infidelity in marriages and arrogant people who are constantly competing with everyone they meet. It's not my life - or my fantasy life - so it just puts me off.

I did like the ending when - spoiler alert - she starts meeting those she left behind, in "the Duration" (aka Limbo?). Being able to realize life went on successfully and that she's still missed was very touching. It was a very nice wrap-up sort of ending that leaves you with an overall positive impression of the book, even if you were cursing it left, right and center four chapters earlier. ( )
  lizzybeans11 | Jan 28, 2011 |
"The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible."
Oscar Wilde
To Rob, Jed and Rory
When I imagined my funeral, this wasn't what I had in mind.

A tender, witty novel about love, loss, marriage and motherhood. A wife and mother, 35, has died under mysterious circumstances, and looks down at those she leaves behind from an after-life location called The Duration. Told in first-person with a third-person back-story.

Until she was found dead along the bank of the Hudson River, Molly Marx led an enviable life. A young wife and mother, Molly now finds herself in the Duration, where with the help of a refreshingly unorthodox guide, she can observe the friends and family she left behind: her philandering plastic surgeon husband, the irresistible colleague who became her lover, a competitive twin sister, her controlling mother-in-law, a loyal but confused friend, and her purest love: a three-year-old daughter.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Late, Lamented Molly Marx by Sally Koslow was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,336,408 books! | Top bar: Always visible