Women Who Run With the Wolves: Myths and…

Women Who Run With the Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman… (1992)

by Clarissa Pinkola Estés

3,239None1,706 (4.06)37
(15) archetypes (95) fairy tales (46) feminism (204) feminist (16) fiction (23) folklore (126) folktales (19) gender (18) gender studies (26) Jung (23) Jungian (15) jungian psychology (16) myth (64) mythology (225) myths (53) non-fiction (226) philosophy (27) psychology (316) reference (21) religion (23) self-help (28) sociology (23) spirituality (78) stories (22) storytelling (36) to-read (29) unread (35) women (246) women's studies (156)

English (34)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (38)
Sort of embarrassed to admit that I am reading this, but...
I am finding it useful, and 12~ years later (from when I was first given a copy) I can finally read it. I suppose it helps to have been through a bit of life, to be able to grasp the archetypes well.

Works well with Carolyn Myss's Sacred Contracts, and her archetypes.
  MochiMama | Aug 21, 2013 |
Es un libro que no sólo nos ayuda a las mujeres a sentirnos identificadas con los diferentes problemas que atrapan nuestra mente sino que además nos sirve para superarlos por medio de cuentos. ( )
  danielapalaciotoro | Aug 6, 2012 |
A book that I have returned to many times over the last decade or more, Estes analyses of women in folklore and mythology resonate with me deeply. Women Who Run with the Wolves is a book that can be read over and over, and some new insight - about oneself or our relationship with our environment - will be gained. A beautiful marriage of psychology and feminist spirituality, this is one of my most cherished reads. ( )
  tcoulter | Jul 5, 2011 |
I started this book with high hopes - it had been recommended to me by someone I find very interesting and who lives her life authentically . However, I soon gave up! What is it about? ( )
  GillyG | Oct 18, 2010 |
While the author does give good insights onto women's issues, her use of fairy tales to do so is weak at best. She changes them to suit her own interpretation, often - and quite worrisomely, given the message she claims to want to give - placing more blame on the woman than the original fairy tale did. Compare, for instance, the original "Handless Maiden" and Marie Louise von Franz's interpretation of it, to Pinkola Estes' modified version.

I had a very hard time taking the "interpretation" of modified fairy tales seriously, and wish that Pinkola Estes had given more weight to her own individual thoughts, rather than trying to validate them through fairy tales that often say something quite different from what she tries to say. ( )
  fraise | Oct 10, 2010 |
A kedves szüleimnek
Mária és Joszef,
Maria and Joseph,
Szeretlek benneteket.

y
Para todos los que yo amo
que continúan desaparecidos.
Dzikie zwierzęta i Dzika Kobieta to zagrożone gatunki.
[Introduction, English] Wildlife and the Wild Woman are both endangered species.
[Chapter 1, English] I must reveal to you that I am not of the Divine who march into the desert and return gravid with wisdom.
Women Who Run With the Wolves is the first part of a five-part series encompasing one hundred tales on the inner life. The entire twenty-two hundred pages of work took just over twenty years to write. In its essence, the work strives to de-pathologize the integral instinctual nature, and to demonstrate its soulful and essential psychic ties to the natural world. The basic premise that runs through all my work asserts that all human beings are born gifted.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345409876, Mass Market Paperback)

UPDATED, WITH NEW MATERIAL BY THE AUTHOR"WOMEN WHO RUN WITH THE WOLVES isn't just another book. It is a gift of profound insight, wisdom, and love. An oracle from one who knows."--Alice WalkerWithin every woman there lives a powerful force, filled with good instincts, passionate creativity, and ageless knowing. She is the Wild Woman, who represents the instinctual nature of women. But she is an endangered species. In WOMEN WHO RUN WITH THE WOLVES, Dr. Estés unfolds rich intercultural myths, fairy tales, and stories, many from her own family, in order to help women reconnect with the fierce, healthy, visionary attributes of this instinctual nature. Through the stories and commentaries in this remarkable book, we retrieve, examine, love, and understand the Wild Woman and hold her against our deep psyches as one who is both magic and medicine. Dr. Estés has created a new lexicon for describing the female psyche. Fertile and life-giving, it is a psychology of women in the truest sense, a knowing of the soul."This volume reminds us that we are nature for all our sophistication, that we are still wild, and the recovery of that vitality will itself set us right in the world."--Thomas Moore Author of Care of the Soul"I am grateful to WOMEN WHO RUN WITH THE WOLVES and to Dr. Clarissa Pinkola Estés. The work shows the reader how glorious it is to be daring, to be caring, and to be women. Everyone who can read should read this book."--Maya Angelou"An inspiring book, the 'vitamins for the soul' [for] women who are cut off from their intuitive nature."--San Francisco Chronicle"Stands out from the pack . . . A joy and sparkle in [the] prose . . . This book will become a bible for women interested in doing deep work. . . . It is a road map of all the pitfalls, those familiar and those horrifically unexpected, that a woman encounters on the way back to her instinctual self. Wolves . . . is a gift."--Los Angeles Times"A mesmerizing voice . . . Dramatic storytelling she learned at the knees of her [immigrant] aunts."--Newsweek

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:27 -0400)

"Within every woman there is a wild and natural creature, a powerful force, filled with good instincts, passionate creativity, and ageless knowing. Her name is Wild Woman, but she is an endangered species. Though the gifts of wildish nature come to us at birth, society's attempt to "civilize" us into rigid roles has plundered this treasure, and muffled the deep, life-giving messages of our own souls. Without Wild Woman, we become over-domesticated, fearful, uncreative, trapped." "Clarissa Pinkola Estes, Ph.D., Jungian analyst and cantadora storyteller, shows how woman's vitality can be restored through what she calls "psychic archeological digs" into the bins of the female unconscious. In Women Who Run with the Wolves, Dr. Estes uses multicultural myths, fairy tales, folk tales, and stories chosen from over twenty years of research that help women reconnect with the healthy, instinctual, visionary attributes of the Wild Woman archetype." "Dr. Estes collects the bones of many stories, looking for the archetypal motifs that set a woman's inner life into motion. "La Loba" teaches about the transformative function of the psyche. In "Bluebeard", we learn what to do with wounds that will not heal; in "Skeleton Woman", we glimpse the mystical power of relationship and how dead feelings can be revived; "Vasalisa the Wise" brings our lost womanly instincts to the surface again; "The Handless Maiden" recovers the Wild Woman initiation rites; and "The Little Match Girl" warns against the insidious dangers of a life spent in fantasy." "In these and other stories, we focus on the many qualities of Wild Woman. We retrieve, examine, love, and understand her, and hold her against our deep psyches as one who is both magic and medicine." "In Women Who Run with the Wolves, Dr. Estes has created a new lexicon for describing the female psyche. Fertile and lifegiving, it is a psychology of women in the truest sense, a knowing of the soul."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,489,890 books! | Top bar: Always visible