Women Who Run with the Wolves by Clarissa…

Women Who Run with the Wolves (original 1992; edition 1996)

by Clarissa Pinkola Phd Estes

3,319401,638 (4.05)37
Member:thairishgrl
Title:Women Who Run with the Wolves
Authors:Clarissa Pinkola Phd Estes
Info:Ballantine Books (1996), Mass Market Paperback
Rating:***
Tags:self help, mythology

Women Who Run With the Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype by Clarissa Pinkola Estés (1992)

English (36)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (40)
I read this book long before I was probably meant too - I was too young, and reading for an age far beyond my real life age. However, this book stuck with me throughout adolescence and 20's and I often found myself referring to it when talking to others. After recently re-visiting it, I was still as taken with it, and it still spoke to me: about knowing yourself and those around you, about the stories we tell ourselves and each other, and about the strength and resilience of women throughout time and history. It encouraged me to embrace the role of storyteller and memory keeper, and that this does not mean being maudlin and living in the past, but rather using the past to protect the future. Do read it - I hope it impresses on you as much it did on me!
  Em_Mac | Jul 25, 2014 |
Very interesting but perhaps best taken in small doses. A good fountain of ideas to use in thinking about your own life. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | Jun 17, 2014 |
Sort of embarrassed to admit that I am reading this, but...
I am finding it useful, and 12~ years later (from when I was first given a copy) I can finally read it. I suppose it helps to have been through a bit of life, to be able to grasp the archetypes well.

Works well with Carolyn Myss's Sacred Contracts, and her archetypes.
  MochiMama | Aug 21, 2013 |
Es un libro que no sólo nos ayuda a las mujeres a sentirnos identificadas con los diferentes problemas que atrapan nuestra mente sino que además nos sirve para superarlos por medio de cuentos. ( )
1 vote danielapalaciotoro | Aug 6, 2012 |
A book that I have returned to many times over the last decade or more, Estes analyses of women in folklore and mythology resonate with me deeply. Women Who Run with the Wolves is a book that can be read over and over, and some new insight - about oneself or our relationship with our environment - will be gained. A beautiful marriage of psychology and feminist spirituality, this is one of my most cherished reads. ( )
  tcoulter | Jul 5, 2011 |
A kedves szüleimnek
Mária és Joszef,
Maria and Joseph,
Szeretlek benneteket.

y
Para todos los que yo amo
que continúan desaparecidos.
Dzikie zwierzęta i Dzika Kobieta to zagrożone gatunki.
[Introduction, English] Wildlife and the Wild Woman are both endangered species.
[Chapter 1, English] I must reveal to you that I am not of the Divine who march into the desert and return gravid with wisdom.
Women Who Run With the Wolves is the first part of a five-part series encompasing one hundred tales on the inner life. The entire twenty-two hundred pages of work took just over twenty years to write. In its essence, the work strives to de-pathologize the integral instinctual nature, and to demonstrate its soulful and essential psychic ties to the natural world. The basic premise that runs through all my work asserts that all human beings are born gifted.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345409876, Mass Market Paperback)

UPDATED, WITH NEW MATERIAL BY THE AUTHOR"WOMEN WHO RUN WITH THE WOLVES isn't just another book. It is a gift of profound insight, wisdom, and love. An oracle from one who knows."--Alice WalkerWithin every woman there lives a powerful force, filled with good instincts, passionate creativity, and ageless knowing. She is the Wild Woman, who represents the instinctual nature of women. But she is an endangered species. In WOMEN WHO RUN WITH THE WOLVES, Dr. Estés unfolds rich intercultural myths, fairy tales, and stories, many from her own family, in order to help women reconnect with the fierce, healthy, visionary attributes of this instinctual nature. Through the stories and commentaries in this remarkable book, we retrieve, examine, love, and understand the Wild Woman and hold her against our deep psyches as one who is both magic and medicine. Dr. Estés has created a new lexicon for describing the female psyche. Fertile and life-giving, it is a psychology of women in the truest sense, a knowing of the soul."This volume reminds us that we are nature for all our sophistication, that we are still wild, and the recovery of that vitality will itself set us right in the world."--Thomas Moore Author of Care of the Soul"I am grateful to WOMEN WHO RUN WITH THE WOLVES and to Dr. Clarissa Pinkola Estés. The work shows the reader how glorious it is to be daring, to be caring, and to be women. Everyone who can read should read this book."--Maya Angelou"An inspiring book, the 'vitamins for the soul' [for] women who are cut off from their intuitive nature."--San Francisco Chronicle"Stands out from the pack . . . A joy and sparkle in [the] prose . . . This book will become a bible for women interested in doing deep work. . . . It is a road map of all the pitfalls, those familiar and those horrifically unexpected, that a woman encounters on the way back to her instinctual self. Wolves . . . is a gift."--Los Angeles Times"A mesmerizing voice . . . Dramatic storytelling she learned at the knees of her [immigrant] aunts."--Newsweek

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:27 -0400)

A Jungian analyst explores the feminine psyche through stories of "wild women"--the mythological archetype of the strong, primitive woman.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,320,965 books! | Top bar: Always visible