Women Who Run with the Wolves by Clarissa…

Women Who Run with the Wolves (original 1992; edition 1996)

by Clarissa Pinkola Phd Estes

Title:Women Who Run with the Wolves
Authors:Clarissa Pinkola Phd Estes
Info:Ballantine Books (1996), Mass Market Paperback
Tags:self help, mythology

Women Who Run With the Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype by Clarissa Pinkola Estés (Author) (1992)

English (41)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (46)
Parts of this book were so important and lovely that I have not stopped thinking about them since. However, it was along and sometimes painful read, mainly due just to the length and density of the piece. The parts that mattered most to me could have been edited down to a much shorter book. I would love to reread this book as part of a group, maybe the parts that weren't moving for me in a solitary read would have more of an impact at that point. ( )
  ceciliachard | Oct 24, 2016 |
This book is complicated and requires a proper mindset in order to be appreciated. I was intrigued and excited about the authour's (a psychoanalyst and post-trauma specialist) approach, which is revealing the deepest embodiments of a woman through a bone-by-bone study of the myths and fairy-tales (which are not really just stories, as we all know). But after a month of pushing myself through the book I only read about 30% of it I saw that everything in me resists almost every sentence.

Unfortunately, I'm very far from calling myself a nature's child. This is a problem of the humanity in our so-called civilised era. And therefore I never managed to discover that primeval, wild side of me that the book is calling to. I'm not a fan of riding a horse butt-naked, while yelling at the moon, but the author believes this is every woman's hidden dream. And the moment you read this you start to wonder whether there's something wrong with you. I felt awkward, confused, annoyed and far from empowered.

That being said, I'm sure I'll return to this book later. It is a profound, deep insight into a woman's unconsciousness, into her hopes and fears, her ancient and modern selves. I'll wait till I'm mature enough and read it all. ( )
  vira_t | Mar 29, 2016 |
Ever am I reminded of my love for brevity. Despite its length, this is a very good book. I read it as an analysis of the many fairy tales in it, many of which I had not heard, like "The Handless Maiden," "Bluebeard," and "La Loba." Although I'm dubious of the scientific robustness of Jung, I do believe his followers have hit on the "why" of these stories' deep and everlasting meaning. Hers is a sprawling, lyrical, and insightful first novel. ( )
  Victor_A_Davis | Sep 18, 2015 |
My neighbor is in a "Women Who Run With the Wolves" book group, and has been highly inspired by it. I didn't think I was too interested, but he let me borrow the companion audio recording, and I did enjoy it, mostly because of Estes's intensely pleasing voice and style of speaking and storytelling. Honestly, I'd love to hire her to talk to me all the time; I've never heard anyone more gifted in the art. Her soothing voice would have been a perfect casting for Meggie's voice in Inkheart (the girl who had the talent to bring characters to life with her impressive read-aloud skills).

About the content, I don't know. It's way too stereotypical feminist b-s for me, but it does resonate a little on a human level rather than a woman's. I'm not oppressed by a patriarchal society right now, really. But I do feel that all humans can relate to some of her ideas as "civilized" society certainly pressures us to contain our wild side, not just women. While most of it seems a bit dramatic, some ideas did strike a chord. However, I think the book has the ability to make people feel depressed, captive, oppressed, when they may have otherwise been happy.... I don't know.

1 vote engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
This is a heavy book. Rich indeed. One you have to read slowly, take in pieces, ponder over. Estes examines and analyzes fairy tales, myths and folktales in the context of what they can teach about the inner lives of women. In each segment of the book, Estes examines a particular fairy tale (often several related tales or different versions as well) and goes into great depth about the wisdom and insight it can convey about such things as finding inner strength, recognizing things that take you away from your true self, enduring and continuing on in the face of difficulties, recognizing people you feel kinship with, finding and drawing upon your creative energy and so on. The ways and manners in which women expresses themselves and mine their inner strengths are myriad, and Estes recognizes that. She presents a lot of tales I was completely unfamiliar with, and explains others in ways I had never considered before. I was a bit surprised to find some other reviewers disagreed entirely with her viewpoint, said she forced and changed the stories to say what she wanted, diverted from their original meaning. But I just took it to be part of the power of storytelling, to use stories and word imagery to communicate something strong and lasting. Oh, and there are many comparisons to wolves and how they live. Estes calls the feminine soul your inner Wild Woman, who is keen and responsive and fierce in ways like the wolf... I found quite a bit to take away and ponder at length, and I am keeping this book on my shelf to delve into again someday.

from the Dogear Diary ( )
1 vote jeane | Jul 11, 2015 |
A kedves szüleimnek
Mária és Joszef,
Maria and Joseph,
Szeretlek benneteket.

Para todos los que yo amo
que continúan desaparecidos.
Dzikie zwierzęta i Dzika Kobieta to zagrożone gatunki.
[Introduction, English] Wildlife and the Wild Woman are both endangered species.
[Chapter 1, English] I must reveal to you that I am not of the Divine who march into the desert and return gravid with wisdom.
Women Who Run With the Wolves is the first part of a five-part series encompasing one hundred tales on the inner life. The entire twenty-two hundred pages of work took just over twenty years to write. In its essence, the work strives to de-pathologize the integral instinctual nature, and to demonstrate its soulful and essential psychic ties to the natural world. The basic premise that runs through all my work asserts that all human beings are born gifted.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345409876, Mass Market Paperback)

UPDATED, WITH NEW MATERIAL BY THE AUTHOR"WOMEN WHO RUN WITH THE WOLVES isn't just another book. It is a gift of profound insight, wisdom, and love. An oracle from one who knows."--Alice WalkerWithin every woman there lives a powerful force, filled with good instincts, passionate creativity, and ageless knowing. She is the Wild Woman, who represents the instinctual nature of women. But she is an endangered species. In WOMEN WHO RUN WITH THE WOLVES, Dr. Estés unfolds rich intercultural myths, fairy tales, and stories, many from her own family, in order to help women reconnect with the fierce, healthy, visionary attributes of this instinctual nature. Through the stories and commentaries in this remarkable book, we retrieve, examine, love, and understand the Wild Woman and hold her against our deep psyches as one who is both magic and medicine. Dr. Estés has created a new lexicon for describing the female psyche. Fertile and life-giving, it is a psychology of women in the truest sense, a knowing of the soul."This volume reminds us that we are nature for all our sophistication, that we are still wild, and the recovery of that vitality will itself set us right in the world."--Thomas Moore Author of Care of the Soul"I am grateful to WOMEN WHO RUN WITH THE WOLVES and to Dr. Clarissa Pinkola Estés. The work shows the reader how glorious it is to be daring, to be caring, and to be women. Everyone who can read should read this book."--Maya Angelou"An inspiring book, the 'vitamins for the soul' [for] women who are cut off from their intuitive nature."--San Francisco Chronicle"Stands out from the pack . . . A joy and sparkle in [the] prose . . . This book will become a bible for women interested in doing deep work. . . . It is a road map of all the pitfalls, those familiar and those horrifically unexpected, that a woman encounters on the way back to her instinctual self. Wolves . . . is a gift."--Los Angeles Times"A mesmerizing voice . . . Dramatic storytelling she learned at the knees of her [immigrant] aunts."--Newsweek

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:04 -0400)

A Jungian analyst explores the feminine psyche through stories of "wild women"--the mythological archetype of the strong, primitive woman.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,845,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible