Women Who Run with the Wolves by Clarissa…

Women Who Run with the Wolves (original 1992; edition 1996)

by Clarissa Pinkola Phd Estes

Member:thairishgrl
Title:Women Who Run with the Wolves
Authors:Clarissa Pinkola Phd Estes
Info:Ballantine Books (1996), Mass Market Paperback
Rating:***
Tags:self help, mythology

Women Who Run With the Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype by Clarissa Pinkola Estés (Author) (1992)

English (44)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All (49)
Certainly one of the weirder and more pretentious books I've ever (partly) read. The author makes mystifying logical leaps and talks about the female brain as though it is a puzzle that can never be unlocked due to all the ways that past experiences are continually building and morphing inside of it. Pretty ominous reading for any man. ( )
  YESterNOw | Jun 24, 2017 |
This book contains many stories about and for women. It’s in depth analyst of each of the stories is extensive to explain the wild side of women. It reminds all women to pay attention, nurture yourself, and to be wild as needed. ( )
  caanderson | Jun 4, 2017 |
i generally believe that books arrive when they're supposed to, and there were many things in here that were useful to me in this specific time of my life, for sure. but also i felt that i wasn't ready for this book right now. firstly it's too academic for me, and secondly i have no foundational knowledge about folklore and archetypes that would have been useful in reading this book. it isn't a good first text on the subject as it relies on knowledge that i don't already have. i found a lot of this so interesting and connected to it, but then found much of it just too heady and far-reaching. (some of the connections made felt natural to me, but others felt like i often felt in high school when an english teacher would talk about what the author "meant" by something. maybe. but sometimes a tree is a tree. maybe.) some pages i read ravenously and carefully, and others i skimmed as quickly as i could because it meant nothing. overall it was quite a mix for me, but i do think it's more me, not the book itself.

i think that mostly it wasn't the right time for me to read this book and also that i didn't read it in the way that it's meant to be read. i think that it is probably more useful to refer to this book, to dip in and out (at least a chapter or section at a time) and to come to it over a period of time, or a lifetime. to sit and read it (even as i did, slowly, sometimes agonizingly, but as quickly as i could - it still took me 1.5 months) through, is probably not the best way to approach and appreciate this book.

i'm not officially rating it, because of these things, but for me, at this time, 2 stars. i believe if i come back to this some other time, it has the potential of being more like 4.5 stars. it was just the wrong time for me, or the wrong me for me, right now.
  elisa.saphier | Mar 12, 2017 |
Parts of this book were so important and lovely that I have not stopped thinking about them since. However, it was along and sometimes painful read, mainly due just to the length and density of the piece. The parts that mattered most to me could have been edited down to a much shorter book. I would love to reread this book as part of a group, maybe the parts that weren't moving for me in a solitary read would have more of an impact at that point. ( )
  ceciliachard | Oct 24, 2016 |
This book is complicated and requires a proper mindset in order to be appreciated. I was intrigued and excited about the authour's (a psychoanalyst and post-trauma specialist) approach, which is revealing the deepest embodiments of a woman through a bone-by-bone study of the myths and fairy-tales (which are not really just stories, as we all know). But after a month of pushing myself through the book I only read about 30% of it I saw that everything in me resists almost every sentence.

Unfortunately, I'm very far from calling myself a nature's child. This is a problem of the humanity in our so-called civilised era. And therefore I never managed to discover that primeval, wild side of me that the book is calling to. I'm not a fan of riding a horse butt-naked, while yelling at the moon, but the author believes this is every woman's hidden dream. And the moment you read this you start to wonder whether there's something wrong with you. I felt awkward, confused, annoyed and far from empowered.

That being said, I'm sure I'll return to this book later. It is a profound, deep insight into a woman's unconsciousness, into her hopes and fears, her ancient and modern selves. I'll wait till I'm mature enough and read it all. ( )
1 vote vira_t | Mar 29, 2016 |
A kedves szüleimnek
Mária és Joszef,
Maria and Joseph,
Szeretlek benneteket.

y
Para todos los que yo amo
que continúan desaparecidos.
Dzikie zwierzęta i Dzika Kobieta to zagrożone gatunki.
[Introduction, English] Wildlife and the Wild Woman are both endangered species.
[Chapter 1, English] I must reveal to you that I am not of the Divine who march into the desert and return gravid with wisdom.
Women Who Run With the Wolves is the first part of a five-part series encompasing one hundred tales on the inner life. The entire twenty-two hundred pages of work took just over twenty years to write. In its essence, the work strives to de-pathologize the integral instinctual nature, and to demonstrate its soulful and essential psychic ties to the natural world. The basic premise that runs through all my work asserts that all human beings are born gifted.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345409876, Mass Market Paperback)

UPDATED, WITH NEW MATERIAL BY THE AUTHOR"WOMEN WHO RUN WITH THE WOLVES isn't just another book. It is a gift of profound insight, wisdom, and love. An oracle from one who knows."--Alice WalkerWithin every woman there lives a powerful force, filled with good instincts, passionate creativity, and ageless knowing. She is the Wild Woman, who represents the instinctual nature of women. But she is an endangered species. In WOMEN WHO RUN WITH THE WOLVES, Dr. Estés unfolds rich intercultural myths, fairy tales, and stories, many from her own family, in order to help women reconnect with the fierce, healthy, visionary attributes of this instinctual nature. Through the stories and commentaries in this remarkable book, we retrieve, examine, love, and understand the Wild Woman and hold her against our deep psyches as one who is both magic and medicine. Dr. Estés has created a new lexicon for describing the female psyche. Fertile and life-giving, it is a psychology of women in the truest sense, a knowing of the soul."This volume reminds us that we are nature for all our sophistication, that we are still wild, and the recovery of that vitality will itself set us right in the world."--Thomas Moore Author of Care of the Soul"I am grateful to WOMEN WHO RUN WITH THE WOLVES and to Dr. Clarissa Pinkola Estés. The work shows the reader how glorious it is to be daring, to be caring, and to be women. Everyone who can read should read this book."--Maya Angelou"An inspiring book, the 'vitamins for the soul' [for] women who are cut off from their intuitive nature."--San Francisco Chronicle"Stands out from the pack . . . A joy and sparkle in [the] prose . . . This book will become a bible for women interested in doing deep work. . . . It is a road map of all the pitfalls, those familiar and those horrifically unexpected, that a woman encounters on the way back to her instinctual self. Wolves . . . is a gift."--Los Angeles Times"A mesmerizing voice . . . Dramatic storytelling she learned at the knees of her [immigrant] aunts."--Newsweek

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:04 -0400)

A Jungian analyst explores the feminine psyche through stories of "wild women"--the mythological archetype of the strong, primitive woman.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,168,788 books! | Top bar: Always visible