My Latest Grievance by Elinor Lipman

My Latest Grievance

by Elinor Lipman

4591922,646 (3.57)19

I've come to enjoy Elinor Lipman's wry humor over several of her books, and was not disappointed here. Sexual farce, academic skewering, precocious adolescent protagonist, left wing slightly dotty parents, all make for an entertaining read. This was an audiobook, read by Mia Barron to great effect. Particularly loved her voicing of the flighty Laura Lee French.
  michigantrumpet | Oct 14, 2013 |
I liked this book mainly due to the narrator - Frederica - being exceptional. The story, not so exceptional, and slow at times. It took me several days to read this book, which was relatively short at it's Overdrive length of 227 pages. ( )
  pidgeon92 | Apr 1, 2013 |
As someone who spent her first five years in faculty housing, and then grew up the rest of the way less than two miles away from the campus where her parents worked, I found that this book felt very familiar. (And the fact that I now work at the college where the author went to school adds an interesting layer.)

I've enjoyed Elinor Lipman's past books and this is no exception. Although it wasn't a fast-paced read -- more, well, pokey, I have to say -- I liked the world she created and the characters who in habited it. The protagonist's parents, lefty academic types, were in danger of being too stereotypical and yet her love and obvious *like* for them puts them onto a whole other level.

Not my typical light and fluffy chick lit read, but a solid, pleasant book that I would recommend. ( )
  jendoyle2000 | Apr 2, 2011 |
Delightful tale of academia from the viewpoint of the teenage daughter of 2 professors at a fictional Boston women's college. The father's first wife arrives on campus as a housemother, and complications ensue. Less dumb than it sounds. I don't know why the events were set in 1978, other than to be able to do "where are they now" at the end. ( )
  ennie | Jan 6, 2011 |
A humorous light read. Four stars for books of this class ( )
1 vote urania1 | Sep 22, 2010 |
To the memory of my parents.
I was raised in a brick dormitory at Dewing College, formerly the Mary-Ruth Dewing Academy, a finishing shcool best known for turning out attractive secretaries who married up.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:28 -0400)

My Latest Grievance stars the beguiling teenager Frederica Hatch, the "Eloise of Dewing College." Born and raised in the dormitory of this small women's college and chafing under the care of "the most annoyingly evenhanded parental team in the history of civilization," Frederica is starting to feel that her life is stiflingly snug. That all changes with the arrival on campus of a new dorm mother, the glamorous Laura Lee French, the frenetic center of her own universe.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,259,721 books! | Top bar: Always visible