Lost by Michael Robotham

Lost (2005)

by Michael Robotham

Series: Joseph O'Loughlin (2)

English (20)  Swedish (1)  All languages (21)
Predictable story arc with everyone hating the main character in the middle. Career issues not resolved in this book. Not sure I care enough to read the next book to find out. Main Character did resolve to be more in touch with his family, which was nice. ( )
  jlapac | Aug 14, 2013 |
This mystery is told from the perspective of a police officer with amnesia. This title had me 'Lost' on the plot in many places. Strong mystery. ( )
  jmoncton | Jun 3, 2013 |
Very good.,great plot and characters.,
  librarian1204 | Apr 26, 2013 |
Detective Inspector Ruiz got shot (twice), nearly drowned and has lost his memory of the days in which critical events took place in a case that has tormented him for three years. Obviously amnesia isn’t a new plot device but it’s used with great skill here. The way Ruiz re-creates the events conveys his frustration and fear beautifully.

The story cracks along at a rapid pace while at the same time including detail and back story where necessary so that the characters are wonderfully complex. Robotham is a dab hand at getting to the nub of writing people because even minor characters that only appear for a page or two are so perfectly depicted that you quickly develop a real sense of them.

For fans of Robotham’s earlier novel, The Suspect, this book provides an enjoyable opportunity to meet up with Joe O’Loughlin again, although this time he is more competent professional than the rattled major-crime suspect he was in the earlier outing. As someone who is growing tired of never-ending book series and their repetitive protagonists I thoroughly enjoyed this approach to incorporating known characters in a book.

bsquaredinoz | Mar 31, 2013 |
The Parkinson's angle isn't as pronounced in Lost because Joe isn't the central figure. Instead he's now Ruiz's friend and becomes his sounding-board. Ruiz counts on Joe's near prescient insight into human behavior, habitat and habits. Like in Suspect, Ruiz isn't guilty of what people suspect. He truly can't remember why he was on the boat, what happened to everyone on it and where the missing diamonds are. After his one ally is taken out in the line of duty, he has no one and the equivalent of Internal Affairs is gunning for him. Through breaks in his memory and deduction he knits up the unraveled past and finds the real truth to the 3-year-old murder and the events on the boat.

I particularly liked how well Robotham conveyed Ruiz's frustration to the reader. I wanted to know what happened as badly as Ruiz did, but like him, I couldn't find out. Not right away. And the way sections of his memory returned and how they helped him connect up the facts was well done, too. It kept things off-balance yet moving forward at the same time. Little things would come to him after a big chunk of the missing time returned and he'd be able to get a little further. In hindsight, the solution to the kidnapping and the murder should have been less of a surprise to me. I had a bit of a "doh" moment there at the end. What I wish we had a bit more of was what happened with Ruiz at the end. Did he get back on the force or not? Maybe in the next book we'll find out. ( )
  Bookmarque | Feb 26, 2013 |

Michael Robothamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lenting, InekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wealth lost, something lost; Honor lost, much lost; Courage lost, all lost. German Proverb
For my mother and father
The Thames, London I remember someone once telling me that you know its cold when you see a lawyer with his hands in his own pockets.

Detective Inspector Vincent Ruiz can’t remember how he got to the hospital. He was found floating in the Thames with a gunshot wound in his leg and a picture of missing child Mickey Carlyle in his pocket. But Mickey’s killer is already in jail. Add to this the blood stained boat found near where Ruiz was pulled from the water, and the pieces just don’t add up.  Now, accused of faking amnesia and under investigation, Ruiz reaches out to psychologist Joseph O’Loughlin to help him unlock his memory, clear his name, and solve this ominous puzzle.   Michael Robotham is one of the finest new thriller writers working today.  Marked by vivid characters and full of unexpected turns, Lost is a hair-raising journey of vengeance, grief, and redemption through the dark London underworld.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:45 -0400)

Everyone knows that Mickey Cayle is dead and a man is in prison for her murder. Everyone, that is, except DI Vincent Ruiz, who cannot stop searching and hoping. He is discovered one night clinging to a buoy in the River Thames, with a bullet in his leg and a bigger hole in his memory. Under investigation by his colleagues and accused of faking amnesia, Ruiz's only hope of unravelling the puzzle is to retrace his steps and relive that night. But there are further dangers lying in wait and other ways for a man to drown...… (more)

Michael Robotham is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Six editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,605,856 books! | Top bar: Always visible