This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald

This Side of Paradise

by F. Scott Fitzgerald

7,06758778 (3.6)1 / 151
    The Adventures of Augie March by Saul Bellow (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Young men coming of age in different eras of 20th Century America.

English (55)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (58)
It's not my favorite Fitzgerald but it was such a great read. It's hard to believe that this is only Fitzgerald's first novel. It's very deep and being a college student myself, I could sometimes relate to Amory. Once Amory left Princeton, he got very annoying to me. I hated how selfish he was, how he didn't really think things through. If I could only relate to Amory more I think I would have given this book 5 stars, but for some reason, Amory and I just didn't mix. This book is a great read for college students who have no idea what they are going to do once those years end. It will give them an idea of what NOT to do! ( )
  IntrovertedBooks | Mar 26, 2018 |
Well, I didn't hate it quite as much as Gatsby. ( )
  SMBrick | Feb 25, 2018 |
I was somewhat struck by the use of a play format for heavy dialogue, and the various long poems, interspersed with a two-book structure (and interlude) and a complex structure of interwoven characters and time-shifts. Well worth the read and I can only imagine the stir it would have caused in 1920. I can only wonder what the original drat of this novel would have been line and I remain bewildered by the life experience FSF had at such a very young age. ( )
  madepercy | Nov 7, 2017 |
I just couldn't get into it. My mind would wander as I glazed over the words.
  TanyaTomato | Sep 6, 2017 |
I never liked The Great Gatsby or Fitzgerald's short stories. But after reading The Beautiful and Damned, I thought I'd maybe misjudged Fitzgerald. Then I read this. If you enjoy the Great Gatsby, you'll probably enjoy this. I did not though. It was just far too much ado about nothing. ( )
  benuathanasia | Jun 23, 2017 |
"it bears the impress, it seems to me, of genius. It is the only adequate study that we have had of the contemporary American in adolescence and young manhood."
added by GYKM | editChicago Tribune, Burton Rascoe

"The glorious spirit of abounding youth glows throughout this fascinating tale. . . The whole story is disconnected, more or less, but loses none of its charm on that account. It could have been written only by an artist who knows how to balance his values, plus a delightful literary style."
added by GYKM | editNew York Times (May 9, 1920)

F. Scott Fitzgeraldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carson, Sharon G.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
. . . Well this side of Paradise! . . .
There's little comfort in the wise.
---Rupert Brooks

Experience is the name so many people give to their mistakes.
---Oscar Wilde
TO SIGOURNEY FAY
Amory Blaine inherited from his mother every trait, except the stray inexpressible few, that made him worth while.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0684843781, Paperback)

Fitzgerald's first novel, reprinted in the handsome Everyman's Library series of literary classic, uses numerous formal experiments to tell the story of Amory Blaine, as he grows up during the crazy years following the First World War. It also contains a new introduction by Craig Raine that describes critical and popular reception of the book when it came out in 1920.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:35 -0400)

This classic novel, first published in 1920, tells the story of Amory Blaine's moral education and sexual awakening, brilliantly capturing the rhythms of postwar America and the spirit of a generation dedicated to the pursuit of excitement, sophistication, and success.… (more)

Legacy Library: F. Scott Fitzgerald

F. Scott Fitzgerald has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See F. Scott Fitzgerald's legacy profile.

See F. Scott Fitzgerald's author page.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141185570, 014119409X

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 190967673X, 1909676748

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,827,098 books! | Top bar: Always visible