This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald

This Side of Paradise

by F. Scott Fitzgerald

6,23652650 (3.6)1 / 137
    The Adventures of Augie March by Saul Bellow (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Young men coming of age in different eras of 20th Century America.

English (49)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (52)

--This Side of Paradise

Explanatory Notes"
  E.P.G | May 30, 2016 |
A beautiful story that is beautifully written. ( )
  imagine15 | Mar 15, 2016 |
I still think Fitzgerald is one of the greatest authors of all time. This slows a little in the middle, but I think only because he wants it to—Amory dulls in the middle, so the reader must also. I loved genre shifts in this book: prose, poetry, drama. In the end, though, despite Fitzgerald's genius, he was a modern, bereft of God. But his prophetic voice of what this country would become was almost spot on. A great read all in all. ( )
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |
It is strange that this, Fitzgerald's first novel, was received with such public acclaim when his subsequent novels THE GREAT GATSBY and TENDER IS THE NIGHT were such public disappointments when today they are both considered superior works--and I totally agree. Had this been my first exposure to Fitzgerald, I wouldn't have had much interest in reading anything else. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
"it bears the impress, it seems to me, of genius. It is the only adequate study that we have had of the contemporary American in adolescence and young manhood."
added by GYKM | editChicago Tribune, Burton Rascoe

"The glorious spirit of abounding youth glows throughout this fascinating tale. . . The whole story is disconnected, more or less, but loses none of its charm on that account. It could have been written only by an artist who knows how to balance his values, plus a delightful literary style."
added by GYKM | editNew York Times (May 9, 1920)

. . . Well this side of Paradise! . . .
There's little comfort in the wise.
---Rupert Brooks

Experience is the name so many people give to their mistakes.
---Oscar Wilde
TO SIGOURNEY FAY
Amory Blaine inherited from his mother every trait, except the stray inexpressible few, that made him worth while.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0684843781, Paperback)

Fitzgerald's first novel, reprinted in the handsome Everyman's Library series of literary classic, uses numerous formal experiments to tell the story of Amory Blaine, as he grows up during the crazy years following the First World War. It also contains a new introduction by Craig Raine that describes critical and popular reception of the book when it came out in 1920.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:35 -0400)

This classic novel, first published in 1920, tells the story of Amory Blaine's moral education and sexual awakening, brilliantly capturing the rhythms of postwar America and the spirit of a generation dedicated to the pursuit of excitement, sophistication, and success.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141185570, 014119409X

The Library of America

An edition of this book was published by The Library of America.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,996,285 books! | Top bar: Always visible