Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, Book 1) by…

Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, Book 1) (edition 2009)

by Faith Hunter

Member:vaspitfire
Title:Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, Book 1)
Authors:Faith Hunter
Info:Roc (2009), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:urban fantasy, series, vampire, assassin

Skinwalker by Faith Hunter

English (67)  German (2)  English (69)
I found 'Skinwalker' while wondering up and down bookshelves in a book store, when I was trying to find something to read.

Skinwalker is a fun and easy for me. Which left me mutter on a few occasions 'why do I have to put down my book for work?' Or 'damn, I have work'.

I want to know how the characters and relationships between the characters are going to grow in the rest of the series. ( )
  DaffiMere | Nov 22, 2016 |
Skinwalker
4 Stars

Khristine Hvam is rapidly becoming my favorite narrator. She is so skilled at imparting character, tone and atmosphere with her vocal range. The only voice that I struggled with was that of Leo Pellesier, who sounded vaguely effeminate for such a powerful vampire (this is one of the reasons for my difficulty viewing him as a possible romantic interest for Jane).

Jane is my favorite type of independent, fearless and snarky heroine. She knows precisely when to stand her ground and when to keep silent, and never allows anyone to intimidate or undermine her. That said, there is still something vulnerable about her attempts to recall her past and discover her true identity and place in the world. The relationship between Jane and her Beast is one of the highlights of the story - their separate almost adversarial identities is original and fascinating.

The male characters are the weakest aspect of the book. None of them is particularly appealing and they actually come across as sordid and sleazy at times.

The word building is detailed with an emphasis on Native American lore, which adds an extra dimension to the compelling vampire mythology that unravels slowly as the story progresses. The mystery is absorbing, albeit quite gruesome and gory, and it is fun discovering the clues and trying to unravel the threads along with Jane. Nevertheless, one irritating aspect of the investigation is the lack of follow up on some of the clues, such as the secret meeting at the theatre, the search of the rogue's lair and the questioning of Anna. There is also a dearth of information regarding the individual vampires, their actions and their possible motives. Given these facts, it is not surprising that Jane barely manages to figure things out before it is too late (although as the reader, it is possible to make an educated guess).

In sum, an exciting and action packed introduction to the series and I look forward to finding out what happens next. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
Loved. It. And really appreciated how well New Orleans is treated in this and the other books of the series- you can tell when the author has never spent more than 24 hours (or worse, never even *been* here at all!) in NOLA, but this author even talked about the outskirts of South LA with no small detail.
Thanks, Faith, for your hard work- it's so easy to use The Big Easy as a one-note caricature, a flat backdrop in the most literal sense, but I felt like you got it. ( )
  DeborahJ2016 | Oct 26, 2016 |
Enjoyed the book. Interesting hearing animal thoughts. I was a little worried that Jane was somewhat dense. I would have followed Annie a lot sooner. I kept thinking, why isn't she following Annie. Anyway, good first book in a new series. I'm looking forward to reading next in series. ( )
  SBShepherd | Oct 16, 2016 |
Good characters fast paced paranormal alternate world. ( )
  jamespurcell | Sep 21, 2016 |

Faith Hunterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Jane Yellowrock is the last of her kind-a skinwalker of Cherokee descent who can turn into any creature she desires and hunts vampires for a living. But now she's been hired by Katherine Fontaneau, one of the oldest vampires in New Orleans and the madam of Katie's Ladies, to hunt a powerful rogue vampire who's killing other vamps...
Jane Yellowrock is the last of her kind - a skinwalker of Cherokee descent who can turn into any creature she desires and hunts vampires for a living. But now she's been hired by Katherine Fontaneau, one of the oldest vampires in New Orleans and the madam of Katie's Ladies, to hunt a powerful rogue vampire who's killing other vamps.

"Jane Yellowrock is the last of her kind--a skinwalker of Cherokee descent who can turn into any creature she desires--and hunts the undead for a living. But now she's been hired by Katherine Fonteneau, one of the oldest vampires in New Orleans and the madam of Katie's Ladies, to hunt a powerful rogue vampire who's killing other vamps. Amidst a bordello full of real 'ladies of the night,' and a hot Cajun biker with a panther tattoo who stirs her carnal desire, Jane must stay focused and complete her mission, or else the next skin she'll need to save may be her own."--p. [4] of cover.… (more)

Faith Hunter is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,635,875 books! | Top bar: Always visible