Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, Book 1) by…

Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, Book 1) (edition 2009)

by Faith Hunter

Member:vaspitfire
Title:Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, Book 1)
Authors:Faith Hunter
Info:Roc (2009), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:urban fantasy, series, vampire, assassin

Skinwalker by Faith Hunter

English (51)  German (2)  All languages (53)
Enjoyable. I seem to recall this series being suggested to me after my Mercy Thompson withdrawal, but there really isn't a comparison. Jane's skinwalker mythology is more complex and there appears to be more back story. More drama and less humor, all in all. I'll read the next few though, as it was definitely interesting. ( )
  kateminasian | Nov 22, 2014 |
This was a fun romp of an urban fantasy with a great female protagonist. I thought that having a skinwalker who has absorbed another species was particularly unique because the reader gets to see the action from two distinct personalities -- Jane and Beast. I can't decide who I like better. I'll definitely be reading more in this series. ( )
  DawnAllenbach | Oct 26, 2014 |
It was ok but I think my opinion has been influenced by me reading it over number of days rather the than in one or two sessions like I normally do. If I had read it one session I probably would have liked it more.

I loved Jane's humour and her unusual situation with her Beast. My only real criticism is that sometimes I couldn't tell whose point of view was being expressed: Jane's or Beast's especially when they were conversing with one another.

I enjoyed the sexual tension between Jane and Bruiser as well as with his master, Leo. I hope we see more of them in the second book. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
Faith Hunter has a nice addiction into the realm of urban fantasy, detective series. The only problem is it is nice and it should be at least a little edgy, gritty, or gnarly. The main character Jane has more bravado than bravo, and the author's overuse of pithy descriptions come across as patronizing. Even with these critiques it was a fun, escape and not a bad beginning for the first in a series. ( )
  revslick | Sep 20, 2014 |
I was pleasantly surprised by this book, actually. I know, I know, don't judge a book by its cover, but I really hated the cover and was not expecting the depth the book offered in terms of plot and character. While I'm definitely looking forward to further development of the secondary characters, I found Jane to be complex and relatable (as well as kick-ass and independent). The plot took some surprising turns, while leaving open storylines for the rest of the series.

raselyem7 | Aug 30, 2014 |

Faith Hunterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Jane Yellowrock is the last of her kind-a skinwalker of Cherokee descent who can turn into any creature she desires and hunts vampires for a living. But now she's been hired by Katherine Fontaneau, one of the oldest vampires in New Orleans and the madam of Katie's Ladies, to hunt a powerful rogue vampire who's killing other vamps...

"Jane Yellowrock is the last of her kind--a skinwalker of Cherokee descent who can turn into any creature she desires--and hunts the undead for a living. But now she's been hired by Katherine Fonteneau, one of the oldest vampires in New Orleans and the madam of Katie's Ladies, to hunt a powerful rogue vampire who's killing other vamps. Amidst a bordello full of real 'ladies of the night,' and a hot Cajun biker with a panther tattoo who stirs her carnal desire, Jane must stay focused and complete her mission, or else the next skin she'll need to save may be her own."--p. [4] of cover.… (more)

Faith Hunter is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,499,485 books! | Top bar: Always visible