Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, Book 1) by…

Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, Book 1) (edition 2009)

by Faith Hunter

Title:Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, Book 1)
Authors:Faith Hunter
Info:Roc (2009), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Tags:urban fantasy, series, vampire, assassin

Skinwalker by Faith Hunter

Recently added byMCHBurke, lottpoet, kara-karina, ktoonen, Schlyne, sly.and.wise, private library, binarydude, Irena.

English (57)  German (2)  All languages (59)
This series has shown up as "recommended" for me for ages, based on the number of paranormal series I've read and enjoyed, but I was hesitant to give it a try for reasons I can't quite recall.

When Audible offered the first book on sale earlier this year, I went ahead and bought it, and then I finally gave it a try a few months later. And I have mixed feelings.

On the one hand, I appreciated the depth and complexity of the plot and characters (esp. Jane, of course), as well as the underlying mysteries that drove the story forward. I also enjoyed the different take on shapeshifters, esp. the idea that Beast is a distinctly separate entity with her own thoughts and will.

But on the other hand, I was not at all prepared for the degree of blood and guts and gory detail of the horrific murders. If I'd been reading a physical book, I might've just skipped those parts, but that's harder to do with an audiobook. I did zone out during a few scenes (esp. when the vampire politics got too long and complicated or too repetitive), but unfortunately my brain had a tendency to zone back in right when someone was describing the brutal handywork of the liver eater.

I find myself still thinking about some parts of Jane's story and wanting to know more, but I'm just not willing to subject myself to such graphic depictions of violence and death, so I'm unlikely to read any more in the series.

PerpetualRevision | Oct 25, 2015 |
What a fun romp! Started the first book -- ended up devouring the series. And now I'm waiting for the latest book to come out with everybody else. Darn it! ( )
  lyrrael | Oct 18, 2015 |
This book had potential, so there may hope for the series. But just as some movies seem to be mostly a chase scene, so this book seemed to be mostly a vamp hunt. Yes, I know that’s what Jane does, but this story lacked character development and the subtleties that make a story really good. Not much happens except Jane hunts, Jane shifts, and beings get killed and eaten. The author tried to inject some sort of caring in the form of a witchy family who has some brief appearances in the tale, but it was not enough to make us really care for these characters. Actually, that family sounds more interesting than Jane! Not a great start to a new series, but still, the premise is good and the hope is that the plots get better. ( )
  Maydacat | Sep 28, 2015 |
The first Jane Yellowrock introduces a new heroine to urban fantasy. Jane isn't totally sure what she is. She is some kind of shapeshifter by doesn't know her own history. She can turn into a number of different creatures but her most common is one she calls Big Cat. Jane hunts vampires for a living.

Jane has come to New Orleans to hunt down a rogue vampire who is killing both humans and vampires. She is also hoping that one of the old vampires will be able to tell her what she is. Jane is working for the vampire council and gets much more deeply involved in vampire politics than she would prefer.

She keeps running into a guy she call the Joe. Actually Rick LaFleur keeps turning up and Jane isn't at all sure what to think of him. Beast is interested in him because she wants Jane to have kits. Jane doesn't trust him.

Jane spends a lot of time searching for the rogue who is very confusing. She searches by scent in both her human and Beast form but the scent of the rogue keeps changing. She begins to think that he might be a skinwalker like she is. Along the course of her investigation she meets a shaman named Aggie One Feather who has information about skinwalkers that helps Jane understand a little more about herself. Also, Jane has some memories surface that tell her more about her past too.

Jane is a kickass heroine. She's tough, smart, determined, and smart-mouthed. She is also conflicted about what she is and searching for answers. This is the first of what is currently a nine book series. I'll be reading more. ( )
  kmartin802 | Jul 9, 2015 |
My favorite part about this book was Beast. I loved being in her point of view. I also loved to live vicariously through Jane's ability to eat like 10,000 cal in one meal. Kinda makes me want to be a skinwalker. ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |

Faith Hunterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Jane Yellowrock is the last of her kind-a skinwalker of Cherokee descent who can turn into any creature she desires and hunts vampires for a living. But now she's been hired by Katherine Fontaneau, one of the oldest vampires in New Orleans and the madam of Katie's Ladies, to hunt a powerful rogue vampire who's killing other vamps...

"Jane Yellowrock is the last of her kind--a skinwalker of Cherokee descent who can turn into any creature she desires--and hunts the undead for a living. But now she's been hired by Katherine Fonteneau, one of the oldest vampires in New Orleans and the madam of Katie's Ladies, to hunt a powerful rogue vampire who's killing other vamps. Amidst a bordello full of real 'ladies of the night,' and a hot Cajun biker with a panther tattoo who stirs her carnal desire, Jane must stay focused and complete her mission, or else the next skin she'll need to save may be her own."--p. [4] of cover.… (more)

Faith Hunter is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,876,236 books! | Top bar: Always visible