Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, Book 1) by…

Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, Book 1) (edition 2009)

by Faith Hunter

Member:vaspitfire
Title:Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, Book 1)
Authors:Faith Hunter
Info:Roc (2009), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:urban fantasy, series, vampire, assassin

Skinwalker by Faith Hunter

English (61)  German (2)  All languages (63)
I read the short story in a book I can't currently remember. I wasn't sure if I was going to like this book from that. I certainly have gotten in to it more than the previous book! Hopefully it works out as a new series by a liked author.

Enjoyed the pace and the story line. It wasn't as gruesome as the short story. The next in the series should be interesting too. Already have it on order from the library. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
UF-I missed a few meals this book had me so enthralled. Jane Yellowrock is the last of the skinwalker's. She is of Cherokee descent who can turn into any creature she desires and hunts the undead for a living. Jane is a tough, motorcycle-riding heroine who knows how to fight and how to use her weapons. Her past is lost to her but bits are given back to her as the story develops, making the story even more interesting. She also has a soft side that loves her bestfriends daughter. Jane's been hired by a New Orleans vampire to track down a rogue who's been killing other vampires. The nick names she gives are fun. All of the characters are very well-developed. There is a hint of sexual tension but that is as far as it goes.
My only fault with the book was with the Beast/Jane thoughts going back and forth. It was difficult to keep with who was talking when.
Will I read the next book, Bloodcross ? YES ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
This book was good. In fact, it was better than just good. But it didn't grab me and make me want to read more. And there are lots more of this series, and really, the first book needed to make me want to read them. I'm curious to see where it is going, and I probably will read more before long, but I'm not rushing to grab the sequel and read more immediately, which would be the sign of a great book. ( )
  weesam | Jan 4, 2016 |
I loved this audiobook! 5 stars for narration! And, 5 stars for the story/plot! I was completely enthralled and loved every single moment! I can't wait to listen to the next one! ( )
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |
This series has shown up as "recommended" for me for ages, based on the number of paranormal series I've read and enjoyed, but I was hesitant to give it a try for reasons I can't quite recall.

When Audible offered the first book on sale earlier this year, I went ahead and bought it, and then I finally gave it a try a few months later. And I have mixed feelings.

On the one hand, I appreciated the depth and complexity of the plot and characters (esp. Jane, of course), as well as the underlying mysteries that drove the story forward. I also enjoyed the different take on shapeshifters, esp. the idea that Beast is a distinctly separate entity with her own thoughts and will.

But on the other hand, I was not at all prepared for the degree of blood and guts and gory detail of the horrific murders. If I'd been reading a physical book, I might've just skipped those parts, but that's harder to do with an audiobook. I did zone out during a few scenes (esp. when the vampire politics got too long and complicated or too repetitive), but unfortunately my brain had a tendency to zone back in right when someone was describing the brutal handywork of the liver eater.

I find myself still thinking about some parts of Jane's story and wanting to know more, but I'm just not willing to subject myself to such graphic depictions of violence and death, so I'm unlikely to read any more in the series.

PerpetualRevision | Oct 25, 2015 |

Faith Hunterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Jane Yellowrock is the last of her kind-a skinwalker of Cherokee descent who can turn into any creature she desires and hunts vampires for a living. But now she's been hired by Katherine Fontaneau, one of the oldest vampires in New Orleans and the madam of Katie's Ladies, to hunt a powerful rogue vampire who's killing other vamps...
Jane Yellowrock is the last of her kind - a skinwalker of Cherokee descent who can turn into any creature she desires and hunts vampires for a living. But now she's been hired by Katherine Fontaneau, one of the oldest vampires in New Orleans and the madam of Katie's Ladies, to hunt a powerful rogue vampire who's killing other vamps.

"Jane Yellowrock is the last of her kind--a skinwalker of Cherokee descent who can turn into any creature she desires--and hunts the undead for a living. But now she's been hired by Katherine Fonteneau, one of the oldest vampires in New Orleans and the madam of Katie's Ladies, to hunt a powerful rogue vampire who's killing other vamps. Amidst a bordello full of real 'ladies of the night,' and a hot Cajun biker with a panther tattoo who stirs her carnal desire, Jane must stay focused and complete her mission, or else the next skin she'll need to save may be her own."--p. [4] of cover.… (more)

Faith Hunter is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,246,656 books! | Top bar: Always visible