Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, Book 1) by…

Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, Book 1) (edition 2009)

by Faith Hunter

Member:vaspitfire
Title:Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, Book 1)
Authors:Faith Hunter
Info:Roc (2009), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:urban fantasy, series, vampire, assassin

Skinwalker by Faith Hunter

Recently added byTwirlip, MaisieD, ChellS20, private library, SaschaD, annbell, gttygrl, Vierran

English (62)  German (2)  All languages (64)
Jane Yellowrock, a shape-shifting bounty hunter, is hired to hunt down a rogue vampire in New Orleans. I have no idea how successful she is in the end, or who the vamp is, because 161 pages in (more than halfway into the book!) basically nothing plot related has happened. Jane describes her outfits. Jane describes her beeeeeautiful flowing hair. Jane bemoans how much she has to eat all the time because shape-shifting takes mad calories, and makes fun of women who eat salad. Jane just puts on a little lipstick and she's the prettiest lady in the room and everyone checks Jane out and all the other ladies are jealous. Jane beats up her bosses' various bodyguards, I guess so the audience knows how tough she is. (Although maybe not beating up your fellow employees is a good idea? Maybe? Given that the worse anyone does is check out her irresistably hot legs?) Jane goes to an authentic New Orleans cafe and is more mystical than the Magical Negro behind the counter. Jane is a better tracker than any tracker and a better fighter than any cop/soldier/mercenary and blah blah blah.

Jane is apparently so splendiferous that it takes 161 pages just to describe two-and-a-half days of her splendiferous life. She ignores numerous really obvious clues and several really obvious leads, and instead focuses her time on dressing up for vampire parties, shopping, and going on dates. I wish I were exagerating!

Jane Yellowrock is the most annoying try-hard version of Anita Blake I have ever read. In fact, even Anita Blake is not as annoying as Jane. Even Anita Blake's lack-of-plot books have more plot than this book did. And even Laurell K Hamilton can describe mystical crap in a less annoying way than Jane's "Beast" pov, which is as cheesy as it is unbelievable.

Thankfully, this book is so blandly mediocre that within a week I'll have forgotten it and every way in which it annoyed me. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
I read the short story in a book I can't currently remember. I wasn't sure if I was going to like this book from that. I certainly have gotten in to it more than the previous book! Hopefully it works out as a new series by a liked author.

Enjoyed the pace and the story line. It wasn't as gruesome as the short story. The next in the series should be interesting too. Already have it on order from the library. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
UF-I missed a few meals this book had me so enthralled. Jane Yellowrock is the last of the skinwalker's. She is of Cherokee descent who can turn into any creature she desires and hunts the undead for a living. Jane is a tough, motorcycle-riding heroine who knows how to fight and how to use her weapons. Her past is lost to her but bits are given back to her as the story develops, making the story even more interesting. She also has a soft side that loves her bestfriends daughter. Jane's been hired by a New Orleans vampire to track down a rogue who's been killing other vampires. The nick names she gives are fun. All of the characters are very well-developed. There is a hint of sexual tension but that is as far as it goes.
My only fault with the book was with the Beast/Jane thoughts going back and forth. It was difficult to keep with who was talking when.
Will I read the next book, Bloodcross ? YES ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
This book was good. In fact, it was better than just good. But it didn't grab me and make me want to read more. And there are lots more of this series, and really, the first book needed to make me want to read them. I'm curious to see where it is going, and I probably will read more before long, but I'm not rushing to grab the sequel and read more immediately, which would be the sign of a great book. ( )
  weesam | Jan 4, 2016 |
I loved this audiobook! 5 stars for narration! And, 5 stars for the story/plot! I was completely enthralled and loved every single moment! I can't wait to listen to the next one! ( )
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |

Faith Hunterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Jane Yellowrock is the last of her kind-a skinwalker of Cherokee descent who can turn into any creature she desires and hunts vampires for a living. But now she's been hired by Katherine Fontaneau, one of the oldest vampires in New Orleans and the madam of Katie's Ladies, to hunt a powerful rogue vampire who's killing other vamps...
Jane Yellowrock is the last of her kind - a skinwalker of Cherokee descent who can turn into any creature she desires and hunts vampires for a living. But now she's been hired by Katherine Fontaneau, one of the oldest vampires in New Orleans and the madam of Katie's Ladies, to hunt a powerful rogue vampire who's killing other vamps.

"Jane Yellowrock is the last of her kind--a skinwalker of Cherokee descent who can turn into any creature she desires--and hunts the undead for a living. But now she's been hired by Katherine Fonteneau, one of the oldest vampires in New Orleans and the madam of Katie's Ladies, to hunt a powerful rogue vampire who's killing other vamps. Amidst a bordello full of real 'ladies of the night,' and a hot Cajun biker with a panther tattoo who stirs her carnal desire, Jane must stay focused and complete her mission, or else the next skin she'll need to save may be her own."--p. [4] of cover.… (more)

Faith Hunter is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,354,247 books! | Top bar: Always visible