Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Caribbean by James A. Michener

Caribbean (1989)

by James A. Michener

English (13)  French (1)  All languages (14)
Saga of the pirates of the Caribbean ( )
  JackSweeney | Jan 10, 2017 |
This was my first and last Michener book. It took me 3 months to get thru this book. The only thing I remembered as soon as I closed the book and what I remember to this day is the fact that pirates have gold earrings to pay for their funeral.
I am not a Michener fan. It is me. I would recommend this book to anyone willing to give it a go. ( )
  LauGal | Aug 16, 2016 |
One of his better works. ( )
  TheGoldyns | Sep 16, 2015 |
  Tutter | Feb 27, 2015 |
A wonderfully written story. I almost gave up at the beginning, it was so violent but I am always glad that I persevere with Michener he never disappoints. ( )
  alisonb60 | Feb 27, 2015 |
This book is dedicated to the gentle memory of Alec Waugh who told me when we were working together in Hawaii in 1959 'Someday you must write about my Caribbean.'
The chief character in this narrative is the Caribbean Sea, one of the world's most alluring bodies of water, a rare gem among the oceans, defined by the islands that form a chain of loverly jewels to the north and east.

Only Michener could so masterfully bring the turbulent, dramatic history of the beautiful Caribbean to life. Moving from the European Courts of the 15th century that first claimed the region, to the Islands themselves, we watch the emergence of splendorous sugar plantations built on the backs of slaves; the bloody and victorious uprising in Haiti in 1800; and in modern times, the spread of the Rastafarian religion, the mass exodus from Cuba following the revolution and the general discontent of Caribbean nationales. Sprinkled throughout are fascinating portraits of historical heroes as they struggle against political, economic and racial oppression.

In Caribbean, James A. Michener's fascinating blend of fact and fiction brings to life the compelling, unforgettable story of a land in search of its destiny.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0449217493, Mass Market Paperback)

"A grand epic."
THE CLEVELAND PLAIN DEALER
Master storyteller James A. Michener sweeps us off to the Caribbean,with a magnificent novel that captures the eternal allure of that glittering string of islands and their tumultuous history. Beginning in 1310 and continuing through Columbus's arrival and the bloody slave revolt of Haiti to the rise of Castro, CARIBBEAN carries us through 700 dramatic years in a tale teeming with revolution and romance, slavery and superstition, heartfelt characters and thunderous destinies.
A Dual Main Slection of the Book-of-the-Month Club

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:20 -0400)

A fictional account of the history of the Caribbean area includes the racial, political, and economic struggles from the arrival of Columbus and Spanish control to present day problems.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,459,261 books! | Top bar: Always visible