Blackwood Farm: The Vampire Chronicles by…

Blackwood Farm: The Vampire Chronicles (original 2002; edition 2001)

by Anne Rice

Member:kathylcsw
Title:Blackwood Farm: The Vampire Chronicles
Authors:Anne Rice
Info:Books On Tape (2001), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***

Blackwood Farm by Anne Rice (2002)

Recently added byprivate library, arena90, wpwend42, Caitlin.Dionne, rena70, ushatten

I listened to this one on CD. The narrator was excellent; really brought the story to life. The ending was pretty predictable. Good vampire story though and of course Lestat made an appearance. ( )
  Ginerbia | Feb 14, 2014 |
Blackwood Farm by Anne Rice is the 9th book in her Vampire Chronicles series. This book has characters from the Mayfair Witches trilogy so it might be helpful to read those books first(plus Merrick), but it isn't strictly necessary. In the style of many of her books most of the story is the main character recounting their history and past events leading up to whatever is going on in the present. I found some of the history to be a bit tedious to get through, such as going over family genealogy, but the book got better once I got past this part. I enjoyed the book overall and gave it 4 stars. ( )
  Kythe42 | Jul 10, 2013 |
Refreshingly, a new story set almost entirely in the recent past, a new (well, slightly related) family with paranormal secrets to explore, and a new lovable vampire hero. Tarquin Blackwood seeks out Lestat to tell his story and ask for help in banishing his lifelong companion, the spirit Goblin. Tarquin's narrative meanders with Rice's usual rapt attention to the details of architecture, clothing, and decor, which stretches the book to more than six hundred pages. Truthfully, my hand hurt from holding the book, but that's because I really couldn't put it down. I was fascinated, and really pleased, particularly since I just read Blood and Gold and Pandora which were basically the same story for the third and fourth time, from a slightly different perspective with slightly more detail. I am excited to finish out this series by reading Blood Canticle next. ( )
  EmScape | May 29, 2012 |
When I started reading this book, I was afraid it would be terrible. It turned out to be one of my favorites (along with Merrick) in the series. Again, we have Mayfairs, new characters, oh and... some special someone comes back into the series.
  Aerow | Aug 15, 2011 |
Anne Rice is one of the best at these stories. ( )
  DocWalt10 | Jun 22, 2010 |

Anne Riceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pittu, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My days have passed away, my
  thoughts are dissipated, tormenting my
  heart.
They have turned night into day,
  and after darkness I hope for light again.
If I wait hell is my house, and I have
  made my bed in darkness.
I have said to rottenness: thou art
  my father; to worms, my mother and
  my sister.
Where is now then my expectation
  and who considereth my patience?
All that I have shall go down into
  the deepest pit: thinkest thou that there
  at least I shall have rest?
                              JOB 17:11 - 16 DV.
Dedicated to my son, Christopher Rice
Lestat, If you find this letter in your house in Rue Royale, and I do sincerely think you will find it-- you'll know at once that I have broken your rules.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345443683, Mass Market Paperback)

In the past few years, many fans have sworn off Anne Rice, flinging her later novels against the wall with cries of "First draft!" and "Never again!" But these same fans may want to take a chance on her Southern gothic Blackwood Farm, a fast-paced and erotically charged, though uneven, novel of the Vampire Chronicles. Blackwood Farm has an unusual flaw: it isn't long enough. Many of its triumphs and tragedies demand more development than they receive. Motivations are sometimes unlikely or unexplained, and the ending is far too rushed.

Blackwood Farm introduces Quinn Blackwood, the sexy, eccentric young gentleman who becomes both a vampire and the heir to the Blackwood estate. All his life, Quinn has been haunted by Goblin, a doppelgänger no one else can see--or believe in. But Goblin is real, and he is becoming maliciously tangible, strengthened by the blood that Quinn unwillingly drinks. Quinn's only hope of liberation from his increasingly dangerous doppelgänger is to find the legendary vampire Lestat. But Lestat has vowed to destroy any vampire who sets foot in New Orleans....

Blackwood Farm features characters from both the Vampire Chronicles and the Mayfair Witches series, but this self-contained novel makes a good entry point for newcomers to Anne Rice's fictional world (however, Vampire Chronicle virgins really should start with Interview With the Vampire, the first in the series and arguably the finest vampire novel of the 20th century). --Cynthia Ward

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:43 -0400)

Haunted since birth by a mysterious doppelg?anger known as Goblin, Quinn Blackwood seeks out the legendary vampire Lestat to free him from the horrifying specter that draws him back to Sugar Devil Swamp and its dark secrets.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,331,709 books! | Top bar: Always visible