The Palm-Wine Drinkard and My Life in the…

The Palm-Wine Drinkard and My Life in the Bush of Ghosts

by Amos Tutuola

English (7)  Italian (1)  All languages (8)
So there's a scene where the evasive Death is being pursued, but he isn't at home, he's in the yam garden. I thought, Candide! There was hope but alas I don't like novels drenched in Folk Lore and the sinuous path never again crackled my imagination. Recommended for friends of [b:The Storyteller|53931|The Storyteller|Mario Vargas Llosa|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1437445804s/53931.jpg|2545389] or [b:The Hakawati|2774912|The Hakawati|Rabih Alameddine|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1328035350s/2774912.jpg|1994762]. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
This combination of two novellas in one edition by Nigerian author, Amos Tutuola, was quite interesting. Written in the early 1950s, both stories read like mythology meets pen and paper. Both stories are about cultural and personal transitions and conjure up the image of being shared orally around a campfire. I cannot honestly say that I liked the stories so much as I found the biographical information about the author and his folktale style very interesting. I preferred "My Life in the Bush of Ghosts", which read like the fever dream of a young boy lost in a world turned inside out by war. I could hold on to a sense of the boy's struggle in that story more than I could grasp meaning in "The Palm-Wine" Drinkard". ( )
1 vote hemlokgang | Sep 5, 2015 |
The Palm-Wine Drinkard was recommended to me as a great surrealistic ghost story a la Murakami. I just couldn't get into it, but I think that part of the problem is that it needs to be consumed in one or two sittings, like an oral story since that is the style in which it is told. Alas, I cannot carve out this time during the day (it's FREAKY) before the library wants its copy back. Perhaps I'll revisit this during the summer for a lazy day at Bells Beach.
  beckydj | Mar 30, 2013 |
The Palm-Wine Drinkard is a novella of connected stories based on Yoruba folktales written by Amos Tutuola, a Christian Yoruba. It is not surprising that the reader can ‘hear’ the stories while reading them as the Nigerian Tutuola came out of a strong oral tradition and was first generation literate. We follow the Palm-Wine Drinkard, eldest son of the “richest man in town” who “had no other work than to drink palm-wine.” The novella resonated with me for several personal reasons: my great-grandmother was from West Africa and an uncle, Sir Philip Sherlock, wrote several books of Anansi folktales for a Caribbean audience. Anansi stories, centering on a trickster spider, originated with the Asante tribe of West Africa, primarily in Nigeria’s neighbor, Ghana. The Yoruba folktales that Tutuola uses are similar.
More at http://annotationnation.wordpress.com/2009/04/28/the-palm-wine-drinkard/
  AnnotationNation | Mar 21, 2011 |
Review for The Palm-Wine Drinkard only:
This is a strange, delightful piece of work. It reads a bit like a cross between a fairy tale (or collection thereof) and an underworld myth--put on your Jungian hat, and you'll be thrilled. Made me wish I could have the full traditional African story-telling experience. It's written in Pidgin English, and I love listening to non-native speakers. Interesting flashes of the "modern," colonial world here and there, usually when referencing a technological device in analogies. And I'll never forget the parable of "The Skull as Complete Gentleman." ( )
  Medellia | Jul 19, 2008 |

When Amos Tutuola's first novel, The Palm-Wine Drinkard, appeared in 1952, it aroused exceptional worldwide interest. Drawing on the West African Yoruba oral folktale tradition, Tutuola described the odyssey of a devoted palm-wine drinker through a nightmare of fantastic adventure. Since then, The Palm-Wine Drinkard has been translated into more than 15 languages and has come to be regarded as a masterwork of one of Africa's most influential writers. Tutuola's second novel, My Life in the Bush of Ghosts, recounts the fate of mortals who stray into the world of ghosts, the heart of the tropical forest. Here, as every hunter and traveler knows, mortals venture at great peril, and it is here that a small boy is left alone.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:02 -0400)

The ghosts live in the center of the jungle and this tells of what happens to the mortals who venture into the world of the ghosts.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,460,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible