Blood and Gold by Anne Rice

Blood and Gold (2001)

by Anne Rice

Series: Vampire Chronicles (8)

Recently added byBob_dylan140, JosephCooper, private library, rachelda, Theadora78, purple15emerald

Blood and Gold by Anne Rice is part of her Vampire Chronicles series. The majority of the book is just recounting the events of the life of the vampire Marius. I found a lot of the book to be repetitive. Many of the events described were things that were told of in previous books in the series, though I suppose it was somewhat different being told from a different viewpoint. Still I found it somewhat tedious to be rereading the same stories again. There were new stories in the book from Marius' life that did keep me interested, but I felt like way too much time was spent on stuff that had been gone over in previous books. While the new material was interesting/entertaining to read about, I'm not really sure it added much to the series and it felt a bit superfluous to me. I ended up rating the book with three stars, and I'd probably only recommend it to those who are big fans of Anne Rice's vampire books and really like the characters of Marius, Armand, and Pandora. ( )
  Kythe42 | Jul 10, 2013 |
Solita nota negativa per la traduzione del titolo: non solo non rende il riferimento alle catene di oro e sangue che hanno trattenuto la furia di Lestat al termine di Memnoch, ma ormai abbiamo una sfilza di titoli (in italiano) che si compongono di nome e qualifica del protagonista (Memnoch il diavolo, Armand il vampiro, Merrick la strega, Il vampiro Marius…che noia!)
Il libro in sé è pregevole, purtroppo sembra che la Rice con il tempo sia stata vittima del suo stesso stile e ci presenti alla fine la stessa struttura narrativa: introduzione con incontro tra due vampiri, la storia della vita del narratore, una conclusione che lega il romanzo al ciclo.
Poste queste condizioni il romanzo è piacevole da leggere, ma va affrontato con la consapevolezza che non succede nulla di eclatante e che in fondo sia stato scritto soltanto per i fan.
L’unica critica vera che sento di muovere a questo romanzo riguarda la parte centrale: per quanto sia interessante approfondire la vita di Marius, vengono sacrificati i periodi storici potenzialmente più affascinanti, compreso il medioevo: che la Rice sia una positivista? L’altro punto negativo è sul ripetere la sequenza sulla creazione di Armand già letta nel libro a lui dedicato, ripetizione inutile: peccato!
Bella ma poco approfondita la parte su Costantinopoli, ambientata male la parte rinascimentale italiana generalista e poco documentata. Solo per gli appassionati sfegatati. ( )
  Zeruhur | May 26, 2012 |
  Zeruhur | May 26, 2012 |
I'm kind of glad I waited more than a year to read this book after having read the first eight, plus the Mayfair Witches book all pretty much right in a row. I think I would have found the parts where Marius is retelling things that Lestat told us in The Vampire Lestat and that Armand told us in The Vampire Armand rather boring and repetitive. As it was, it was a nice reminder of things I'd forgotten, and I was able to jump right back in without re-reading, which would have been quite the undertaking. I would really recommend, if you're reading straight through, to take a hiatus before jumping into this one, because it seems others who'd done so were quite disappointed by this.
I've always really admired the wisdom and even temper of Marius, particularly in The Queen of the Damned and although we knew a little of him from the two previously mentioned books, it was a treat to have his story fleshed out even more and his perspective shown on things we already knew the other side of. It's unfortunate that the character of Thorne, who emerges from the ice apparently only to listen to Marius tell a 500-page story and then complete a couple of acts no other previously introduced character would have been able to. I would have liked to have known more about him; the climax of this tale might have meant more or had more feeling for me. As it was, it was a little bit of a let down. I was feeling like awarding this book three stars because of that feeling, but sitting down to write about it has induced me to add back the fourth star I was intending to give it right before I came to the end. Had the ending been more exciting or satisfying, I probably would've given 4.5 stars. As it stands, it's a good, full, tale of history and blood and a fascinating vampire with a rather lame last three chapters. I hope that's a set-up for something more interesting, but it seems the next book in this series takes an entirely different tack. I am looking forward to completing this author's vampire-related works in their entirety. ( )
  EmScape | May 11, 2012 |
Here is a longer read than her last few vampire books, but Anne brings in a LOT of history and art history, which was very pleasing to read. This is the story of Marius, which includes what he went through with Pandora, Those Who Must Be Kept, and Armand.
  Aerow | Aug 15, 2011 |

Anne Riceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rees, RogerNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Dedicated to my beloved husband, Stan Rice

The Vampire Chronicles continue with Anne Rice's spellbinding new novel, in which the great vampire Marius returns.

The golden-haired Marius, true Child of the Millennia, once mentor to The Vampire Lestat, always and forever the conscientious foe of the Evil Doer, reveals in his own intense yet intimate voice the secrets of his two-thousand-year existence.

Once a proud Senator in Imperial Rome, kidnapped and made a "blood god" by the Druids, Marius becomes the embittered protector of Akasha and Enkil, Queen and King of the vampires, in whom the core of the supernatural race resides.

We follow him through his heartbreaking abandonment of the vampire Pandora. Through him we see the fall of pagan Rome to the Emperor Constantine and the horrific sack of the Eternal City itself at the hands of the Visigoths.

Bravely, Marius seeks a new civilization in the midst of glittering Constantinople, only to meet with the blood drinker Eudoxia. We see him ultimately returning to his beloved Italy, where after the horrors of the Black Death, he is restored by the beauty of the Renaissance. We see him become a painter living dangerously yet happily among mortals, giving his heart to the great Botticelli, to the bewitching courtesan Bianca, and to the mysterious young apprentice Armand.

Moving from Rome to Florence, Venice, and Dresden, and to the English castle of the secret scholarly order of the Talamasca, the novel reaches its dramatic finale in our own time, deep in the jungle where Marius, having told hi slife story, seeks some measure of justice from the oldest vampires in the world.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345409329, Mass Market Paperback)

Time heals all wounds, unless, of course, you're a vampire. Cuts may heal, burns vanish, limbs reattach, but for the "blood god," the wounds of the heart sometimes stay open and raw for centuries. So it is for Marius, Anne Rice's oft-mentioned and beloved scholar. We've heard parts of his tale in past volumes of the Vampire Chronicles, but never so completely and never from his own lips. In Blood and Gold, Rice mostly (but not entirely) avoids the danger of treading worn ground as she fills out the life and character of Marius the Lonely, the Disenchanted, the Heartsick--a 2,000-year-old vampire "with all the conviction of a mortal man."

Plucked from his beloved Rome in the prime of his life and forced into solitude as keeper of the vampire queen and king, Marius has never forgiven the injustice of his mortal death. Thousands of years later, he still seethes over his losses. Immortality for Marius is both a blessing and a curse--he bears "witness to all splendid and beautiful things human," yet is unable to engage in relationships for fear of revealing his burden.

New readers to the Chronicles may wish for a more fleshed-out, less introspective hero, but Rice's legions of devoted fans will recognize Blood and Gold for what it is: a love song to Marius the Wanderer, whose story reveals the complexities and limitations of eternal existence. --Daphne Durham

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:09 -0400)

Marius, the former mentor to the vampire Lestat, tells his story, which begins in the ancient Roman Empire when he is made a "blood god" by the Druids and follows him through the darkest, bloodiest centuries of European history.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,606,501 books! | Top bar: Always visible