Blood and Gold by Anne Rice

Blood and Gold (2001)

by Anne Rice

Series: The Vampire Chronicles (8)

Boring to say the least.
In this book we are told the story of Marius from his own lips as he explains it to a newly risen vampire named Thorne. His story was already captioned and a couple of the previous books.
Perhaps I liked his story better as a caption instead of in full. Instead of wise he comes off to me as very pretentious and self-righteous. His story is boring because he is always in the right about everything and everyone else is in the wrong. And at first glance this may sound like the story of Lestat however he differs from Lestat in the fact that he's not comical and bratty. Instead he is simply just always the victor in every circumstance.
Though it is beautifully written like the rest of the series, I have to say I did not enjoy this book very much and found it a rather daunting read. I am hoping that the next few books are better but as I'm heading into number 7 my hopes are not very high at this point. ( )
  TheReadingMermaid | Sep 6, 2018 |
Confesso, questa volta la Rice mi ha delusa. La vicenda è già nota dagli altri romanzi delle "Cronache", un po' troppo ripetitiva. Peccato. ( )
  LaPizia | Aug 3, 2017 |
Box 5
  user4574 | Jul 27, 2017 |
Bellissimo come sempre lo stile della Rice, che dire, vedere i secoli passare attraverso gli occhi e la memoria di Marius il Romano è qualcosa di magnifico. Una fantasia senza limiti e soprattuto magica, avvolgente e coinvolgente che ti prende e ti trascina con piacere fino alle ultime parole del suo romanzo. Leggero senza dubbio gli altri ^^ ( )
  Nasreen44 | Jun 8, 2017 |
I liked this volume a lot, maybe more than the story of Armand. The story of Armand was sensual, erotic almost. Marius's story is historical. I loved how much history and culture was in this volume. I do find it interesting that the same conversation, told by Armand first and then Marius in this volume could be so different. At first it bothered me a lot. Why would Armand say Marius said or did something, but then Marius says he didn't or that something completely different happened. Finally I decided that Rice wasn't referring back to her earlier writing as reference. And then I decided that maybe it was deliberate - a way of showing that different people see things differently and see different things as important or not. Whether or not that is the case, I am actually very interested in the differences now. Put yourself in the shoes of an immortal. Of course small details disappear. Imagine them thinking back thousands of years and trying to remember what was said or not. No, it would be more that they took away from the events. I'm having too much fun with these books. :) And now that I've gotten Armand and Marius' stories out of the way I feel that I now have to read Pandora's story, since hers is so intertwined with these two. So off I go! ( )
  Kassilem | Jul 28, 2016 |

Anne Riceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rees, RogerNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to my beloved husband, Stan Rice
Tilegnet min elskede mand, Stan Rice, og min elskede søster, Karen O'brien
Hans navn var Thorne. På runernes ældgamle sprog havde det været længere ... Thornevald. Men da han blev bloddrikker var hans navn blevet ændret til Thorne. Og Thorne var han stadigvæk nu, århundreder efter, da han lå i sin hule i isen og drømte.

The Vampire Chronicles continue with Anne Rice's spellbinding new novel, in which the great vampire Marius returns.

The golden-haired Marius, true Child of the Millennia, once mentor to The Vampire Lestat, always and forever the conscientious foe of the Evil Doer, reveals in his own intense yet intimate voice the secrets of his two-thousand-year existence.

Once a proud Senator in Imperial Rome, kidnapped and made a "blood god" by the Druids, Marius becomes the embittered protector of Akasha and Enkil, Queen and King of the vampires, in whom the core of the supernatural race resides.

We follow him through his heartbreaking abandonment of the vampire Pandora. Through him we see the fall of pagan Rome to the Emperor Constantine and the horrific sack of the Eternal City itself at the hands of the Visigoths.

Bravely, Marius seeks a new civilization in the midst of glittering Constantinople, only to meet with the blood drinker Eudoxia. We see him ultimately returning to his beloved Italy, where after the horrors of the Black Death, he is restored by the beauty of the Renaissance. We see him become a painter living dangerously yet happily among mortals, giving his heart to the great Botticelli, to the bewitching courtesan Bianca, and to the mysterious young apprentice Armand.

Moving from Rome to Florence, Venice, and Dresden, and to the English castle of the secret scholarly order of the Talamasca, the novel reaches its dramatic finale in our own time, deep in the jungle where Marius, having told hi slife story, seeks some measure of justice from the oldest vampires in the world.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345409329, Mass Market Paperback)

Time heals all wounds, unless, of course, you're a vampire. Cuts may heal, burns vanish, limbs reattach, but for the "blood god," the wounds of the heart sometimes stay open and raw for centuries. So it is for Marius, Anne Rice's oft-mentioned and beloved scholar. We've heard parts of his tale in past volumes of the Vampire Chronicles, but never so completely and never from his own lips. In Blood and Gold, Rice mostly (but not entirely) avoids the danger of treading worn ground as she fills out the life and character of Marius the Lonely, the Disenchanted, the Heartsick--a 2,000-year-old vampire "with all the conviction of a mortal man."

Plucked from his beloved Rome in the prime of his life and forced into solitude as keeper of the vampire queen and king, Marius has never forgiven the injustice of his mortal death. Thousands of years later, he still seethes over his losses. Immortality for Marius is both a blessing and a curse--he bears "witness to all splendid and beautiful things human," yet is unable to engage in relationships for fear of revealing his burden.

New readers to the Chronicles may wish for a more fleshed-out, less introspective hero, but Rice's legions of devoted fans will recognize Blood and Gold for what it is: a love song to Marius the Wanderer, whose story reveals the complexities and limitations of eternal existence. --Daphne Durham

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:20 -0400)

Marius, the former mentor to the vampire Lestat, tells his story, which begins in the ancient Roman Empire when he is made a "blood god" by the Druids and follows him through the darkest, bloodiest centuries of European history.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,216,255 books! | Top bar: Always visible