dismiss

Blood and Gold (2001)

by Anne Rice

Series: The Vampire Chronicles (8)

Out of the pages of the Vampire Chronicles steps the golden-haired Marius, true Child of the Millenia, once mentor to the Vampire Lestat, always and forever the conscientious slayer of the evildoer, and now ready to reveal the secrets of his two-thousand-year-long existence in his own intense yet intimate voice. Born in Imperial Rome, imprisoned and made a "blood god" by the ancient Druids, Marius is the baffled yet powerful protector of Akasha and Enkil, Queen and King of the vampires, in whom the core of the race resides. We follow him through his tragic loss of the vampire Pandora, his lover and fledgling creation. Through him we see the fall of pagan Rome to the Christendom of Constantine, and the sack of the Eternal City by the Visigoths. We see him sailing to the glittering city of Constantinople. Worlds within worlds unfold as Marius, surviving the Dark Ages and the Black Death, emerges in the midst of the Italian Renaissance to create magnificent paintings and a vampire—the boy Armand. Moving from Florence, Venice, Dresden, Paris, and the English castle of the secret and scholarly order of the Talamasca, the novel reaches its dramatic finale in a jungle paradise where the oldest of the vampires reigns supreme.… (more)

Blood and Gold (Vampire Chronicles) by Anne Rice (2002) ( )
  zvati | Jan 27, 2019 |
Boring to say the least.
In this book we are told the story of Marius from his own lips as he explains it to a newly risen vampire named Thorne. His story was already captioned and a couple of the previous books.
Perhaps I liked his story better as a caption instead of in full. Instead of wise he comes off to me as very pretentious and self-righteous. His story is boring because he is always in the right about everything and everyone else is in the wrong. And at first glance this may sound like the story of Lestat however he differs from Lestat in the fact that he's not comical and bratty. Instead he is simply just always the victor in every circumstance.
Though it is beautifully written like the rest of the series, I have to say I did not enjoy this book very much and found it a rather daunting read. I am hoping that the next few books are better but as I'm heading into number 7 my hopes are not very high at this point. ( )
  SumisBooks | Sep 6, 2018 |
Confesso, questa volta la Rice mi ha delusa. La vicenda è già nota dagli altri romanzi delle "Cronache", un po' troppo ripetitiva. Peccato. ( )
  LaPizia | Aug 3, 2017 |
Box 5
  user4574 | Jul 27, 2017 |
Bellissimo come sempre lo stile della Rice, che dire, vedere i secoli passare attraverso gli occhi e la memoria di Marius il Romano è qualcosa di magnifico. Una fantasia senza limiti e soprattuto magica, avvolgente e coinvolgente che ti prende e ti trascina con piacere fino alle ultime parole del suo romanzo. Leggero senza dubbio gli altri ^^ ( )
  Nasreen44 | Jun 8, 2017 |

Anne Riceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rees, RogerNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

Goldmann (45999)
Dedicated to my beloved husband, Stan Rice
Tilegnet min elskede mand, Stan Rice, og min elskede søster, Karen O'brien
Hans navn var Thorne. På runernes ældgamle sprog havde det været længere ... Thornevald. Men da han blev bloddrikker var hans navn blevet ændret til Thorne. Og Thorne var han stadigvæk nu, århundreder efter, da han lå i sin hule i isen og drømte.

The Vampire Chronicles continue with Anne Rice's spellbinding new novel, in which the great vampire Marius returns.

The golden-haired Marius, true Child of the Millennia, once mentor to The Vampire Lestat, always and forever the conscientious foe of the Evil Doer, reveals in his own intense yet intimate voice the secrets of his two-thousand-year existence.

Once a proud Senator in Imperial Rome, kidnapped and made a "blood god" by the Druids, Marius becomes the embittered protector of Akasha and Enkil, Queen and King of the vampires, in whom the core of the supernatural race resides.

We follow him through his heartbreaking abandonment of the vampire Pandora. Through him we see the fall of pagan Rome to the Emperor Constantine and the horrific sack of the Eternal City itself at the hands of the Visigoths.

Bravely, Marius seeks a new civilization in the midst of glittering Constantinople, only to meet with the blood drinker Eudoxia. We see him ultimately returning to his beloved Italy, where after the horrors of the Black Death, he is restored by the beauty of the Renaissance. We see him become a painter living dangerously yet happily among mortals, giving his heart to the great Botticelli, to the bewitching courtesan Bianca, and to the mysterious young apprentice Armand.

Moving from Rome to Florence, Venice, and Dresden, and to the English castle of the secret scholarly order of the Talamasca, the novel reaches its dramatic finale in our own time, deep in the jungle where Marius, having told hi slife story, seeks some measure of justice from the oldest vampires in the world.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,979,740 books! | Top bar: Always visible