Blood Canticle (The Vampire Chronicles) by…

Blood Canticle (The Vampire Chronicles) (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Anne Rice

Member:Amy.Fleming
Title:Blood Canticle (The Vampire Chronicles)
Authors:Anne Rice
Info:Ballantine Books (2004), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 401 pages

Blood Canticle by Anne Rice (2003)

I keep swearing off Rice's books. They inevitably disappoint. But I keep winding up with a copy of some novel I haven't read and searching for some glimmer of the talent that showed up in her earlier books. You won't find it here. ( )
  turtlesleap | Feb 6, 2016 |
it felt like Anne Rice enjoyed writing this and it was an easy read. It's supposed to be the last in the series, but Lestat mentions that he is uneasy about those parts of an island that he didn't explore. Still, Lestat seems to have matured. ( )
  raizel | Jul 19, 2015 |
Now Mona is a vampire and not facing her inevitable death, she is able to ask hard questions – like where her daughter is and what has become of the Taltos

The big dark secret of the Mayfair family is finally open and ready to be resolved.

I have a problem.

When I reviewed Blackwood Farm I gave it 0.5 fangs. I do not regret that rating, it most definitely deserved that rating. But now I have a problem, because Blood Canticle is even worse but, out of some odd twisted sense of needing to finish this series, I finished it so I can’t DNF it.

Normally I like to sum up all the positive things with the book first. This will not take long. I like that the book addresses Mona becoming a vampire and how, as a woman, the sheer safety from attack that comes with vampiric power means a lot more than it would to, say, Quinn. It’s a nice mention – it’s one line

There’s the good. I can think if not one more positive thing to add. Now to the much much much longer lists of negative.

Firstly, this book opens with a rather awful screed from Lestat chastising readers for not appreciating the brilliance of Memnoch The Devil (a book that was much criticised and, no, I didn’t like it either). I’ve seen authors respond to negative reviews before and it’s never good, but to actually have your title character scold readers for not UNDERSTANDING the insight of your oh-so-perfect book in a later book in the series is rather shockingly childish and ridiculous. It did not make me positively inclined towards this book

Then we have Lestat running through this strangely bizarre joyous ode to Catholicism, including shovelling over a lot of problematic issues (in a series that likes to make every character bisexual – well so long as their loves are under-aged – praising the church in glowing terms then throwing aside the homophobia as a 3 word bracketed reference is insulting) which then develops into a confused, incoherent ramble of Lestat wanting to be a saint and the Pope and the spiritual joys of an obscure saint that will keep popping up throughout the whole book without any real need or relevance (and it’s not like the books need more reasons to deviate).

After all this (and a brief, strange idea of lecturing the pope that the super-rich and luxurious would totally save the world so why worry about wealth divides), we move towards the story. Well, no, we move towards lots of sitting around and talking, info-dumping, lecturing and great big melodramatic emotional outbursts, commenting on people’s clothes in huge detail, a lot of recapping and a whole lot of nothing happening

But all of this happens with Lestat having “updated” his language. I think this is a response to people complaining about how over-elaborate the language of these books are – especially when Quinn showed up speaking in exactly the same voice as Lestat – so now Lestat drops random “yo” “cool” and “dude”. It is cringingly awful. It’s like your granddad trying to be “hip”. This continues through the book, it is never not awful.

The characterisation is appalling, especially Mona. Quinn just kind of fades away into the background. Lestat is histrionic and overly dramatic and spends most of the book arguing with Oncle Julien’s ghost, quite why this paedophile is haunting Lestat isn’t really explained, he just appears and he and Lestat melodramatically argue with each other in ridiculously overwrought language for pages on end. Mona is a disaster though – she throws off vast temper tantrums, is slut shamed horrendously both for her sexual past (accepting the blame for “seducing” a male relative when she was 13!) and for how she dresses (which Lestat finds distracting so of course she must change!). She is portrayed as histrionic and bad tempered and spiteful – even when she’s reasonable (she doesn’t like Rowan for good reasons, but her anger is portrayed as spite. She objects to how Lestat speaks to her but she is considered unreasonable). Lestat constantly thinks of her with words like “harpy”. To top it off, of course she apologises to Lestat for not being sufficiently meek and subservient to him. The characterisation is truly cringeworthy.

The story is crammed at the end. Before that we have an excruciatingly long info-dump of what I assume is the plot of the Mayfair Witches books since these two series have now been mushed together (to no-one’s shock, Lestat is now madly in love with Rowan Mayfair. Because Lestat falls in love with everyone the second he sees them. Always.) in between which we have random dramas and temper tantrums from ghostly Patsy (musical interval! Just like Lord of the Rings and just as boring) and Oncle Julien. Finally after all these tantrums and lectures we learn that the Taltos are out there and need finding.

Read More ( )
1 vote FangsfortheFantasy | Oct 13, 2014 |
For those of us who were too young for the original Interview with a Vampire in 1994, Blood Canticle introduces us all to the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice so that we won't have to buy or read anything before Blood Canticle in 2003. ( )
1 vote | allygggggg | Jun 17, 2014 |
In the Blood Canticle, Anne Rice decided to take all of her characters: vampires from the Vampire Chronicles, witches from the Mayfair Witches and Taltos, and throw them all together and see what happens. The end result is sometimes good, sometimes bad, but often times messy. The new Lestat, using new yet not quite updated language, narrates the novel. It brings in Rowan Mayfair, who he has a thing for, and Mona Mayfair, who he recently made into a vampire. They congregate in Blackwood Farms and after a very long-winded and tedious narrative, wind up in Haiti, where the Taltos were at.

As with many of Anne Rice’s later works, this novel is entirely too long with entirely too much fluff and useless information. Sometimes I get the impression that Anne Rice writes in order to impress herself with the beauty of her prose, which doesn’t exactly make for great reading. The novel isn’t all bad. Lestat is an enjoyable character and there was some decent action in this novel. It doesn’t stack up to her early Vampire Chronicle novels, but isn’t as bad as some of her recent work.

Carl Alves – author of Blood Street ( )
  Carl_Alves | Nov 21, 2013 |

Anne Riceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pittu, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Stan Rice 1942-2002 ---the love of my life.
I want to be a saint.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345443691, Mass Market Paperback)

Fiery, fierce, and erotic, Blood Canticle marks the triumphant culmination of Anne Rice’s bestselling Vampire Chronicles, as Lestat tells his astounding tale of the pleasures and tortures that lie between death’s shadow and immortality. . . .

Surrounded by its brooding swampscape, Blackwood Farm is alive with the comings and goings of the bewitched and the bewitching. Among them is the ageless vampire Lestat, vainglorious enough to believe that he can become a saint, weak enough to fall impossibly in love.

Gripped by his unspeakable desire for the mortal Rowan Mayfair and taking the not so innocent, new-to-the-blood Mona Mayfair under his wing, Lestat braves the wrath of paterfamilias Julien Mayfair and ventures to a private island off the coast of Haiti. There, Saint Lestat will get his chance to slay his dragon. For Mona and the Mayfairs share an explosive, secret blood bond to another deathless species: a five-thousand-year-old race of Taltos, strangers held in the throes of evil itself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:43 -0400)

Continues the crossover events of "Blackwood Farm," pitting the vampire Lestat against the ghost of Julian Mayfair, who is out to evenge the transformation of Mona Mayfair, and chronicling Rowan Mayfair's dangerous attraction to Lestat.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,846,323 books! | Top bar: Always visible