Eldest (Inheritance Cycle, Book 2) (The…

Eldest (Inheritance Cycle, Book 2) (The Inheritance Cycle) (original 2005; edition 2007)

by Christopher Paolini

Member:LauraAshlee
Title:Eldest (Inheritance Cycle, Book 2) (The Inheritance Cycle)
Authors:Christopher Paolini
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2007), Edition: Trade Paperback Edition, Paperback, 704 pages

Eldest by Christopher Paolini (2005)

Recently added byLitaVore, BookstoogeLT, private library, Irrintra, Yona.Schuh

English (232)  German (3)  Dutch (2)  Danish (1)  French (1)  All (1)  Spanish (1)  All (241)
Paolini definitely matured between the writing of this book and Eragon. This is a lot more original but still keeps the solid foundation. Very enjoyable.
Eragon comes into his own as a rider, only to have to fight against Murtaugh, his brother, who has been turned by Galbatorix. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
This 2nd part of the Inheritance Cycle was painfully long and very boring at a lot of times. Even towards the end of the book the climax fell short of what it could've been. I had hoped that the immature storytelling of the first part would diminish in the second part but it didn't which was quite disappointing. I'd probably read the next book more out of wanting to check it off my to-read list than any eager anticipation of knowing what'll happen next in the story. ( )
  Zunaira | Dec 4, 2016 |
The sequel to Eragon, Eldest is about Eragon and his journey to the elven lands to meet The Cripple Who Is Whole, the only other dragon rider besides the evil Galbatorix. Right before Eragon leaves the dwarven king offers to adopt Eragon into his clan. Eragon agrees. Before, in the battle against the Urgals, Eragon got a nasty slice running diagonally on his back. He almost died. Because of that, Eragon goes into painful seizures whenever he moves it. Once Eragon went to the elven lands, he takes part of a ritual, known as the blood-oath celebration. He then is turned into a part elf, part human hybrid. He gets the elve's supernatural hearing, strength, speed, and agility. His back is healed. Eragon receives lots of training with Oromis, the cripple who is whole. Eragon rides back to the Varden and sees another rider. They have a lengthy battle and Eragon looses. The rider;s helm is taken off, and Eragon is astonished to see it's Murtagh, his former friend, and ally. Eragon manages to escape and is reunited with his brother. ( )
  kaip.g1 | Oct 23, 2016 |
As Eragon was such an average book I really wasn’t expecting wonderful things from this book. In my opinion this is the worst book in the series as it is slower and more boring than all the others. For much of the book I found myself skimming over parts in a desperate attempt to get the book finished.

Plot: 1/5
This is perhaps the major failling in this book is the frankly awful plot. It feels to me as if this is a kind of filler book, that Paolini has written without really planning the story beforehand. Apart from being incredibly slow to read, it also lacked any major events to move the story along until perhaps the last 80 pages. Paolini coud have deleted 600 pages and been left with a credible 80 page fantasy short story. Although most of this book wasn’t good, we did get another display of Paolini’s form when it comes to writing action sequences. This is something I believe Paolini does very well and the end of this book was a perfect example of this.

Characters: 2/5
None of the characters we were introduced to in the last book have changed or matured that much in this novel, but the new characters we were introduced to have been interesting so far. Oromis and Glaeder are two likeable characters that I would have loved to find out a bit more about in this book. Elva is another intriguing character that I look forward to reading more about as is Nasuada.

Writing Style: 3/5
One thing I definitely liked in Eldest was the way the novel was written. I really enjoyed reading Roran’s story and I found some light relief in his story from Eragon’s tedious training. I liked the way this writing style kept me on my toes with which story I was in, but also it was the only reason I continued reading the book.

Overall: 2/5
I wouldn’t recommend this book to anyone because as a sequel it was very poor and there are definitely better series around.
  ACascadeofBooks | Oct 5, 2016 |
Great book. Read it twice and loved it both times. ( )
  Bubamdk | Sep 9, 2016 |
Nothing wrong with a good thick serving of swords 'n' sorcery, but it needs a hero. In the hands of a writer like George R.R. Martin, Lois McMaster Bujold, Barbara Hambly, or J. K. Rowling, the central characters of fantasy are persons worth knowing: smart, flawed, moral, doomed to love the world more than the world loves back. It's fun that they're kings and queens and wizards, but we read the books because Miles Vorkosigan or Harry Potter are in them, the kind of people we'd like to know and be. Unfortunately, Eragon just doesn't measure up to the standard; he's a Frankenstein video-game hero, clanking with magic armor, charms, and weapons, but long on seams and short that essential spark of life.

It's clear that Paolini has drive and talent, and "Eldest" is, for the most part, competently constructed and written. The problem, however, is that anyone committed to reading a 2,000-page epic deserves more than competence and tropes that have been used countless times before.

Paolini, Christopherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Doyle, GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scotto di Santillo, Maria ConcettaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"As always, this book is for my family. And also to my incredible fans. You made this adventure possible. Se onr sverdar sitja hvass!"
"The songs of the dead are the lamentations of the living."

Eragon Shadeslayer may have protected the Varden from the wrath of an army of Urgals, but his skills still pale in comparison to those of the mighty tyrant Galbatorix, who he must overthrow to restore peace to the land of Alagaësia. He and Saphira must venture to the elven city of Ellesméra in the far north, to complete their training as Rider and dragon. Eragon, however, still carries a debilitating scar from his battle with the Shade Durza, and begins to wonder if any amount of training can ever place him on equal footing with Galbatorix. Elsewhere, Eragon’s cousin Roran struggles for survival as the misshapen Ra’zac besiege his hometown, intent on using him to bring Eragon under control. As both cousins struggle against overwhelming odds, the king rallies his forces to crush the Varden – and with them, all hope of resistance.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375840400, Paperback)

Surpassing its popular prequel Eragon, this second volume in the Inheritance trilogy shows growing maturity and skill on the part of its very young author, who was only seventeen when the first volume was published in 2003. The story is solidly in the tradition (some might say derivative) of the classic heroic quest fantasy, with the predictable cast of dwarves, elves, and dragons--but also including some imaginatively creepy creatures of evil.

The land of Alagaesia is suffering under the Empire of the wicked Galbatorix, and Eragon and his dragon Saphira, last of the Riders, are the only hope. But Eragon is young and has much to learn, and so he is sent off to the elven forest city of Ellesmera, where he and Saphira are tutored in magic, battle skills, and the ancient language by the wise former Rider Oromis and his elderly dragon Glaedr. Meanwhile, back at Carvahall, Eragon's home, his cousin Roran is the target of a siege by the hideous Ra'zac, and he must lead the villagers on a desperate escape over the mountains. The two narratives move toward a massive battle with the forces of Galbatorix, where Eragon learns a shocking secret about his parentage and commits himself to saving his people.

The sheer size of the novel, as well as its many characters, places with difficult names, and its use of imaginary languages make this a challenging read, even for experienced fantasy readers. It is essential to have the plot threads of the first volume well in mind before beginning--the publisher has provided not only a map, but a helpful synopsis of the first book and a much-needed Language Guide. But no obstacles will deter the many fans of Eragon from diving headfirst into this highly-awaited fantasy. (Ages 12 and up) --Patty Campbell

Meet Author Christopher Paolini

After successfully evading an Urgals ambush, Eragon is adopted into the Ingeitum clan and sent to finish his training so he can further help the Varden in their struggle against the Empire.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,835,084 books! | Top bar: Always visible