To Beguile A Beast (Legend of the Four…

To Beguile A Beast (Legend of the Four Soldiers - 3)

by Elizabeth Hoyt

Member:Dotland101
Title:To Beguile A Beast (Legend of the Four Soldiers - 3)
Authors:Elizabeth Hoyt
Info:Forever (2009), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:3/4, Have & Read, copy=2

To Beguile a Beast by Elizabeth Hoyt

Recently added byrena70, moonlitgarden, BillieBook

I love Helen and the children, Abby and Jamie. Alister so needed them in his life. ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Oct 8, 2013 |
I was a bit disappointed in this book, given the stellar reviews. Hoyt does a fine job creating a truly tortured hero, but the heroine didn't grab me. The children are quite engaging, which is not something that always works in a romance. ( )
  LadyWesley | Sep 25, 2013 |
Amazon preorder,headless woman cover
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
I was pleasantly surprised by how much I loved To Beguile a Beast. While the first two books from this Soldiers series were good enough to pass the time, this has been the only story that’s compelled me to reread parts of it here and there just to visit with the characters again. It’s a lovely spin on the Beauty and the Beast tale. Helen Fitzwilliam, the longtime mistress of the Duke of Lister, decides to run away from her past life, taking her children into hiding in the Scottish castle of Alistair Munroe. Alistair was badly tortured during a massacre he experienced as part of the regiment fighting the French in the American colonies, so he’s lived as a hermit ever since. Helen and the kids burst into Alistair’s life as she insists on becoming his new housekeeper despite his objections. Both the lonely hero and heroine have painful pasts that require them to pick up the pieces and push forward into a more hopeful future. It’s harder for Alistair to do so, even when Helen’s presence makes it tempting.

I like the curmudgeon of a hero and the feisty, yet vulnerable heroine. The scenes with the kids were a nice touch to the developing romance between the couple. In the background, there are the sinister machinations of the duke, who’s searching for Helen and is sure to take the kids away from her should he ever discover their location. But aside from the duke’s search and a teeny, tiny bit of attention to the mystery of the traitor who cause the massacre, it’s a very straightforward story. It’s one of Hoyt’s simpler stories—not too many frills and subplots—but it’s one of the more satisfying comfort reads. I checked this one out of the library, but I’m planning on buying my own copy so I can keep returning to it.
  Samchan | Mar 31, 2013 |
Helen, running from past mistakes with her two children, she heads up to Scotland, to be the housekeeper for a beast of a man. Although Helen has no idea what she is really doing, she wants to have a new start for both herself and her children. Alistair, is a recluse because of the scars on his face, where even both children and adults run in fear from him. However Helen is not afraid in the least by Alistair, she is very intrigued by him and despite the scars on his face, finds him mesmerizing. A passion starts to form between these two both in need of companionship, tenderness and love....and right when they think that they might have a future together, the past comes to bite them and only their love for each other, to fight will get them through to help them find a future for each other...To Beguile A Beast is the third installment in this series. I have just loved this series, and this was the last one of this great series for me to read, and even though I read this one last (when its not the last in the series) it ended great!!! Ever since seeing Helen in the previous book...I was excited to read her story, and I wasn't disappointed with To Beguile A Beast. I found a hard time putting this one down from the very first page. I found the story to be enticing, the characters full of depth and endearing, and the romance riveting!!! Definitely a high rating on my scale!!! I loved it!!! ( )
  addictofromance | Feb 26, 2013 |
Chapter One
SCOTLAND
JULY 1765
It was as the carriage bumped around a bend and the decrepit castle loomed into view in the dusk that Helen Fitzwilliam finally -and rather belatedly- realized that the whole trip may've been a horrible mistake.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446406937, Mass Market Paperback)

CAN A WOUNDED BEAST . . .

Reclusive Sir Alistair Munroe has hidden in his castle ever since returning from the Colonies, scarred inside and out. But when a mysterious beauty arrives at his door, the passions he's kept suppressed for years begin to awaken.

TRUST A BEAUTY WITH A PAST . . .

Running from past mistakes has taken legendary beauty Helen Fitzwilliam from the luxury of the ton to a crumbling Scottish castle . . . and a job as a housekeeper. Yet Helen is determined to start a new life and she won't let dust-or a beast of a man-scare her away.

TO TAME HIS MOST SECRET DESIRES?

Beneath Helen's beautiful façade, Alistair finds a courageous and sensual woman. A woman who doesn't back away from his surliness-or his scars. But just as he begins to believe in true love, Helen's secret past threatens to tear them apart. Now both Beast and Beauty must fight for the one thing neither believed they could ever find-a happy ever after.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:33 -0400)

Sir Alistair Munroe, horribly maimed during his service in the French and Indian War, lives a near solitary existence in a crumbling Scottish castle until Helen Fitzwilliam, former mistress of the Duke of Lister, and her two children arrive one night and change his life forever. When the Duke steals his children away from Helen, forcing her to reveal her true past to Alistair, and a friend from Alistair's army past is back from the dead--and quite possibly involved in the betrayal that lead to the massacre of their regiment, the bliss of their relationship isn't to last.… (more)

Elizabeth Hoyt is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,152,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible