Taxed to Death (1st in Alex Bellamy Series)…

Taxed to Death (1st in Alex Bellamy Series)

by Debra Purdy Kong

BOTTOM-LINE:
Could have been better laid out with fewer characters
PLOT OR PREMISE:
A tax auditor discovers fraud, revenge and murder/
WHAT I LIKED:
The writing is pretty good and I love the premise of the protagonist (a Revenue Canada tax auditor).
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:
I had difficulty with three things in the book. First, I found there were way too many characters to keep them all straight. Second, I didn't like the relationship between Alex and Jillian, very hard to follow why this would be a romance that would "bloom". Third, I just plain don't like Jillian...the choices she makes, the rationale for her relationships and interactions with men, all of it made me feel like an accomplice to sexism. All together it presented a challenge for realism, but it may also just be my personal preference to read about a character like Jillian.
DISCLOSURE:
I received no compensation, not even a free copy, in exchange for this review. I am not personal friends with the author, but I did interact with her briefly online. ( )
  polywogg | Dec 30, 2016 |
Twists and turns, likeable characters and quick chapters...., May 3, 2009

Author Debra Purdy Kong's TAXED TO DEATH is the first book I have read by a Canadian author, and what beautiful portraits of Canada did she describe!

I chose the book as it was tax season in the USA and thought "how fitting." Reading about Revenue Canada instead of the IRS was also a first for me, so that took a little getting used to, but not problematic at all.

The given synopsis of the story is as follows: "Revenue Canada auditor, Alex Bellamy, has always dreamed of adventure. During a field audit, he discovers evidence of fraud. When Alex learns that others, including someone inside Revenue Canada, are involved, he persuades his colleague, Andy Gowan, to help him investigate. But Andy is murdered and Alex is forced to turn to Jillian Scott; a lady he's never met and who has her own frightening reasons for refusing to cooperate. Soon, Jillian's fears and Alex's search for a killer embroil them in a bizarre and disturbing nightmare...not everyone will survive."

The main plot of TAXED TO DEATH is filled with several twists and turns, the dynamic between the main characters, Alex and Jillian is likeable and the chapters for the most part are quick reads. The only thing I longed for was a little more description of the characters and the adventure scenes.

J.R. Reardon ( )
  jrreardon | May 13, 2009 |

Revenue Canada auditor, Alex Bellamy, has always dreamed of adventure. During a field audit, he discovers evidence of fraud. Alex learns that others, including someone inside Revenue Canada, are involved. He persuades his colleague, Andy Gowan to help him investigate, but Andy is murdered and Alex is forced to turn to Jillian Scott; a lady he's never met and who has her own frightening reasons for refusing to cooperate. Soon, Jillian's fears and Alex's search for a killer embroil them in a bizarre and disturbing nightmare not everyone will survive.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:34 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,852,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible