Fifteen Decisive Battles by Edward Shepherd…

Fifteen Decisive Battles (1851)

by Edward Shepherd Creasy

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..................... ( )
  Garrison0550 | May 10, 2016 |
Very useful for home schooling history - I might go so far as to say indispensable. This is history as it was once taught, Battles and Great Men (and Women) and should not be entirely neglected in favour of the currently popular emphasis on social history and daily life of ordinary folk. ( )
1 vote muumi | Dec 9, 2013 |
A classic I read with interest when young. To me it has some interesting period references --Creasey still feared a French invasion of Britain in the mid-19th century, for instance. ( )
1 vote antiquary | Feb 18, 2010 |
166. The Fifteen Decisive Battles of the World from Marathon to Waterloo, by E. S. Creasy (read 13 Dec 1944) I read this in December of 1944, when I was a junior in high school, and was enthralled by the accounts of the 15 battles. On 8 Dec 1944 I said to myself: ": "Read about battles of Arbela, Metaurus, Arminius, Chalons, and Tours. Very good and interesting." On Dec 10 I said: "Reading in Battles. Good." On Dec 11 I said: "Read tonight about Blenheim, and Pultowa. Very good. Certainly am enjoying this classic. I'm learning more history than I have in the past year." On Dec 13: "Finished book. Very good. Informative. History. An important supplement ro keep me from forgetting this year when I can't study it myself. A summary of world's history.". ( )
1 vote Schmerguls | Aug 3, 2009 |
Dedicated to Robert Gordon Latham, M.D., F.R.S., Late Fellow of King's College, Cambridge; Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians, London; Member of the Ethnological Society, New York; Late Professor of the English Language and Literature in University College, London; by his friend the author
Two thousand three hundred and forty years ago a council of Athenian officers was summoned on the slope of one of the mountains that look over the plain of Marathon, on the eastern coast of Attica.

Undoubtedly the most famous work of military history of the nineteenth century, Edward S. Creasy’s Fifteen Decisive Battles of the World has been read and re-read for close to 150 years. It is not only the authoritative account of each battle that makes Creasy’s work such a classic—it is his command of narrative, his interest in human struggle, his profound deductions as to effects of the battles, and his striving after truth. Furthermore, his selections seem as wise and well-considered today as when Fifteen Decisive Battles first appeared in 1851: Nobody since has made better ones, nor given us better accounts. Apart from the scholarship and literary skill of Creasy’s book, there is another reason it has endured: Creasy was essentially fair-minded. He had been a judge, and when he became England’s great military critic and historian, he maintained a thoroughly judicial attitude. He was not a British partisan, nor French, nor German—he was a cosmopolitan observer of great events.Out of 2300 years, Creasy only found fifteen battles which he called decisive in the highest sense. He chose them not for the number of killed and wounded, nor for their status in myth and lore, but because they fundamentally changed the course of world history. In doing so, he made his book a miniature military history of the western world, a classic that will repay continued study for generations to come, as it has for generations.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:53 -0400)

A reprint of the original text published in 1851 that analyzes fifteen important world battles, from the Battle of Marathon in 490 BC to Napoleon's defeat at Waterloo in 1815, and describes how each one changed the course of world history.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,451,367 books! | Top bar: Always visible