Flyboys: A True Story of Courage by James…

Flyboys: A True Story of Courage

by James Bradley

Did not read; book club. WW II
  JeanetteSkwor | Oct 15, 2015 |
Really good book, and James Bradley does a good narration job (audiobook). This book tells the story of the WWII aviators in general but, in particular, the story of eight (8? was it 7?) men who flew raids over Tokyo and other areas of Japan. It's not a pleasant tale and the guys that Bradley focuses on don't come back to tell their own tale; rather, this tale is told from declassified info and interviews of the other military that knew the aviators. The Japanese were brutal to captives and they were brutal to the eight men discussed. Don't read this book if you are queasy about torture tactics and/or cannibalism - sadly, the aviators in this story met their fate with an inclusion of both. I don't know how those guys stood up to some of the torture they did - it's soooo hard to read about,and I'm sure it was 1000 times worse to experience it..., ( )
  marshapetry | Sep 30, 2015 |
This is a most amazing, heart-breaking and heartfelt telling of what happened to some of our heroic airmen in the Pacific theater during World War II. I was interested in learning about this part of our U.S. military history because, as a child of Holocaust survivors, I mostly learned about WWII from the point of view of Nazi Europe. This book took me in depth to another, even more horrendous, part of this lengthy world conflict.

The more I read about man's inhumanity to man in this narrative, the more in disbelief I remained, yet the more I realized that the evil inclination is just as present in man as the good inclination. This is also part of the Jewish teaching I was given when growing up.

I was horrified by this book. Yet, I really appreciate the author's even-handedness in presenting both sides of the conflict by the end of the book. It is now with relief that I can wish my son a pleasant trip to Japan this year and look forward to his stories about that country on his return home.

A line from the end of this book read, "Nations tend to see the other side's war atrocities as systemic and indicative of their culture and their own atrocities as justified or the acts of stressed combatants." This statement is pretty telling about war. I hope that the future brings us all towards better understanding of each other's cultures. ( )
  SqueakyChu | Aug 31, 2015 |
Post-Modern. First off this is kind of garbled. You start out learning there is some secret trial during WWII. Just when that starts to get interesting all the sudden we are subjected to a chapter of how American's have a history of committing atrocities and wiping out the Indians starting from the very beginning of Western civilization coming to the New World.

Then we get a history lesson on Japan and then a chapter on Japanese atrocities. Japan committed terrible terrible atrocities on the Chinese. It talks about how new officers were required to cut off the head of a unarmed civilian tied up to prove they could handle being an officer in a war zone. It talks about for bayonet practice they would circle a Chinese man or woman's heart and then stab them everywhere but in the circle to get as much practice in killing someone before the person actually died. But his point here is that the American's were just as bad because of the way we treated the Indians. So there is really no one that was better than anyone else the Pacific WWII conflict according to this author.

Then we learn that because the Jimmy Doolittle raid when the Americans bombed the Japanese mainland for the first time during WWII we hit a hospital that made us actually worse than the Japanese because they only attacked military targets in the Pearl Harbor sneak attack.

Then there are lots of random stories including one on George H.W. Bush's experiences in WWII. And he finally comes back to his original story but it ends up being lost and overshadowed in everything else he writes.

Don't worry, he also gets in his withing distaste for Teddy Roosevelt worked in here too.

Poorly written. Avoid. ( )
  Chris_El | Mar 19, 2015 |
Flyboys tells the story of an air raid that took place during the Battle of Iwo Jima, some 150 miles away, when U.S. warplanes bombed the small communications outpost on Chichi Jima.
" While Iwo Jima had Japanese forces numbering 22,000, Chichi Jima's forces numbered 25,000."

Nine American Navy and Marine fliers were shot down off the Japanese-held island of Chichi Jima.
One ( Lieutenant George H. W. Bush) was picked up by the American submarine USS Finback.
"The others were captured by the Japanese and held as prisoners.
Then they disappeared."
...torture, execution and in some cases cannibalism.

Initially, when the war was over, the brutality of Chichi Jima was whitewashed.
"The records of a top-secret military tribunal were sealed."
Families received a censored version of events as many of the Japanese captors were being executed for their war crimes.

Bradley explains "the Japanese warrior mentality that fostered inhuman brutality and the U.S. military strategy that justified attacks on millions of civilians."
Bradley takes us on a intimate tour of the lives of the flyboys ( pre-military)
"Many of the new breed of pilot were teenagers when the war broke out, and piloted fighters and dive bombers against the Japanese in the last two years of the war."

"Bradley's quest for the truth took him from dusty attics in American small towns, to untapped government archives containing classified documents, to the heart of Japan, and finally to Chichi Jima itself."
(BN overview)

I didn't begin to set forth or elaborate all of the ancillary history that Bradley presented.
You'll discover that when you read....

The 5 disc audio was presented by the author

Warren Earl Vaughn from Childress, Texas
Dick Woellhof from Clay Center, Kansas
Grady York from Jacksonville, Florida
Glenn Frazier from Athol, Kansas
Warren Hindenlang of Foxboro, Massachusetts ( )
  pennsylady | Jan 14, 2015 |
Jimmy Dye, Glenn Frazier, Floyd Hall, Marve Mershon, Warren Earl Vaughn, Dick Woellhof, Grady York, and the Unidentified Airman, and to all Others
The e-mail was from Iris Chang, author of the groundbreaking bestseller The Rape of Nanking.
"I believe any culture can be indoctrinated into any attitude that the leaders want to teach them." (Glen Berry)

FLYBOYS is the true story of young American airmen who were shot down over Chichi Jima. Eight of these young men were captured by Japanese troops and taken prisoner. Another was rescued by an American submarine and went on to become president. The reality of what happened to the eight prisoners has remained a secret for almost 60 years. After the war, the American and Japanese governments conspired to cover up the shocking truth. Not even the families of the airmen were informed what had happened to their sons. It has remained a mystery--until now. Critics called James Bradley's last book "the best book on battle ever written." FLYBOYS is even better: more ambitious, more powerful, and more moving. On the island of Chichi Jima those young men would face the ultimate test. Their story--a tale of courage and daring, of war and of death, of men and of hope--will make you proud, and it will break your heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:29 -0400)

"Over the remote Pacific island of Chichi Jimi, nine American flyers - Navy and Marine airmen sent to bomb Japanese communications towers there - were shot down. One of those nine was miraculously rescued by a U.S. Navy submarine. The others were captured by Japanese soldiers on Chichi Jima and held prisoner." "Then they disappeared." "When the war was over, the American government, along with the Japanese, covered up everything that had happened on Chichi Jima. The records of a top-secret military tribunal were sealed, the lives of the eight Flyboys were erased, and the parents, brothers, sisters, and sweethearts they left behind were left to wonder." "Flyboys reveals for the first time ever the extraordinary story of those men. Bradley's quest for the truth took him from dusty attics in American small towns, to untapped government archives containing classified documents, to the heart of Japan, and finally to Chichi Jima itself. What he discovered was a mystery that dated back far before World War II - back 150 years, to America's westward expansion and Japan's first confrontation with the western world." "Flyboys is a story of war and horror but also of friendship and honor. It is about how we die, and how we live - including the tale of the Flyboy who escaped capture, a young Navy pilot named George H. W. Bush, who would one day become president of the United States."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,847,551 books! | Top bar: Always visible