Inheritance (Eragon / Eldest / Brisingr) by…

Inheritance (Eragon / Eldest / Brisingr) (original 2002; edition 2010)

by Christopher Paolini

Member:BTHoskins
Title:Inheritance (Eragon / Eldest / Brisingr)
Authors:Christopher Paolini
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 800 pages

Eragon by Christopher Paolini (2002)

The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien (jubjub_luver1)
    jubjub_luver1: Both are great adventure books, full of fantasy, adventure, and dragons!
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (jpers36)
    Eldest by Christopher Paolini (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Continuation of the story . . .
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Proginoskes)
    Proginoskes: A necessity for any fan of quality fantasy to read.
    Brisingr by Christopher Paolini (snapplechick)
    The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan (hermionewannabe)
    hermionewannabe: If you enjoy fantasy works than you will love the Eragon series.
    Dragon's Blood by Jane Yolen (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: In Dragon's Blood, indentured servant Jakkin struggles to win his freedom by secretly raising a stolen dragon's egg. I loved Jakkin's bond with his dragon and the intrigue of it all.
    Archie Wilson: & The Nuckelavee (Volume 1) by Mark A. Cooper (DonPeterson)
    Inheritance by Christopher Paolini (dagnirath)
    Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey (dagnirath)
    Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings (dagnirath)
    dagnirath: Pawn of prophecy... has nothing to do with dragons. However, it does have the same writing style, and Eddings is a master storyteller.
    The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: If you like quest stories with supernatural creatures, Sea of Trolls is for you. Bard apprentice Jack is kidnapped by Vikings and must face a whole host of creatures straight out of Norse mythology to rescue his sister Lucy.
    Warhammer 40,000 Codex: Tyranids 2004 by Games Workshop (Journey07)
    Journey07: I recommend this book because it is a great book. Who doesn't love a good story about dragons?
    Joust by Mercedes Lackey (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Book one of a great series from Mercedes Lackey.
    The Last Dragonlord by Joanne Bertin (Hedgepeth)
    Kai's Journey: The New World Chronicles by Charles Siefken (WendySiefken66)
    WendySiefken66: adventure books that will capture your imagination and take you on a journey!
    The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams (MissBrangwen)
    Children of the Dragon by Rose Estes (infiniteletters)
    The Dragon Circle by Stephen Krensky (infiniteletters)
    Die Elfen. by Bernhard Hennen (MissBrangwen, Tanks)

English (505)  German (5)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Vietnamese (1)  Croatian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (521)
Review Originally Posted At: FictionForesight

The story of me and Eragon may not fit the typical blind date setup you’ve seen. This was not the instantly charming, suave, sophisticated book that I normally go for. In fact, Eragon and I have known each other for quite some time. We met while I was still in high school, had a brief fling, and then went our separate ways. So when Treavor G. suggested that I give The Inheritance Cycle a try, I thought that maybe a few years of extra maturity would shed a new light on our relationship.

Eragon is the story of a young boy named Eragon (no way!). He lives in a small mountain village with his uncle and cousin, until one day he comes across a strange stone. Little does he know that this stone is a dragon egg, and he is about to become the last in a dynasty of Dragon Riders. Dragon Riders possess inhuman powers, and Eragon must choose which side he will take in the face of a dying tyrannical empire. His is a story of knights, elves, mystical forests, and ancient magic. It is pure, unadulterated high fantasy that, while it succeeds wildly in some ways, still fails in others.

Some people would rather see a novel idea executed poorly, than a familiar idea executed well. I think this is where many people are divided on Eragon. The concepts within are not new to anybody who has read any sort of high fantasy epic. The young orphan whose family is killed, with an unknown but powerful destiny, who goes on to be the linchpin of a civil war and is ultimately “the one.” It is essentially Star Wars meets Lord of the Rings, and there are so many elements taken from the latter that it toes the line between homage and blatant plagiarism. However, the author’s love for fantasy worlds also carries the work. It is clear that Paolini has put countless hours into crafting Alagaesia and its denizens. There are diverse languages, rich landscapes, and a political atmosphere that would put other fantasy masters to shame.

Where many epics have an obvious delineation between “good” and “evil,” Paolini makes nearly all of his characters three-dimensional, with conflicting internal desires and colorful, questionable, human motivations. Although this is a fantasy world, the characters and places are so very believable. Paolini excels in understanding how the world works and what drives flawed people to make choices – both individually and as a society. A fantastical universe is fun to write, but when done properly can also be a vehicle for studying more fundamental human inclination. I believe works should be judged on their own merit, but it’s worth mentioning here that Paolini wrote this book when he was merely 16 years old. I have met grown adults and read classics that have less grasp on the real world than Paolini demonstrates here.

It is obvious that the author loves and cares for this universe he has created. Unfortunately, he seems to lose steam somewhere in the last third of the book. Up until our daring protagonists reach the Beorn Mountains, the pacing of the plot is interesting, characters are mysterious, and we’re not sure what’s going to happen next. It keeps us going. All of a sudden, though, Eragon and his dragon reach their destination and the plot seems to drag down – information is suddenly dumped on us, Eragon’s learning progress is stagnated, there are no immediate threats. And so it drags. It feels as though Paolini loses the joy of running through this fantasy world and becomes too concerned with getting his character from point A to point B. As a whole, the plot is somewhat predictable, and the conclusion feels just a little too tidy.

I think Eragon is a good effort by a good author that starts off well, but fails to reach its full potential. As a blind date, I certainly enjoyed the time spent here but there weren’t any fireworks for me. No sudden rekindling of a childhood crush. There is no pretension, Eragon is what it is, and I can appreciate that. I don’t think there will be a second date for me, but I know there’s someone out there who is just waiting to fall head over heels into this story.

(www.FictionForesight.com) ( )
  FictionForesight | Apr 26, 2016 |
A good, well paced read. Looking forward to seeing how this series stacks up. ( )
  SashaM | Apr 20, 2016 |
I'm not sure how Christopher Paolini managed to publish this and not end up with a plagiarism court case. I seems like I've come across almost everything somewhere else, Star Wars, David Eddings, Anne Mccaffrey, LOTR.
The writing style also annoys me; yes, yes I know he was only 15 when he wrote it. Well, it really shows. Should have stuck with Fanfiction and published something original later in life. ( )
  thedreadcat | Apr 9, 2016 |
Eragon is a young boy who is out hunting in the woods and finds a blue "stone." Later this "stone" hatches and there is a little baby blue dragon. Eragon's home gets burned down and he has to leave, a man named Brom goes with him because he knows magic and has knowledge about dragons. They travel to a town where all the resident have been killed and lay in piles, they are then ambushed by Urgals(Tall pig/man creatures with horns.) Eragon has named his dragon Saphira and they both practice talking to each other in their heads(telekinesis.) Brom gets killed and Eragon buries him and at the same time meats a new com-rad... Murtagh. They travel together and try to escape an evil army, they flee to the hidden army who wishes to take out the evil one. They join that army and Eragon, Saphira, and Murtagh ight endless amounts of Urgals, then they fight a shade(demon.) They end up defeating him by dropping a giant crystal on him.

I rated Eragon a full five stars because I think that it's one of the best books I've ever read. It has great vocab and this book review I can actually rate this one for about sixth grade and above. If you're the kind of person who likes action then this is one of the best, it has loads of fight scenes. If you read this book please don't watch the movie, the movie made this wonderful book seem like trash. If you like big books, the whole series are all big fun and enticing stories. My review of this book is pretty accurate because I didn't want to spoil all the important details. I hope that when you read this book that you will love and adore it as much as I did. ( )
  GriffenP.b4 | Mar 28, 2016 |
This was pretty good considering that the author was sixteen when he wrote it, and if I were only using books written by teenagers as my frame of reference I'd probably give it a better rating.

I've seen a lot of people claim that Paolini plagiarized Star Wars, which I don't think is fair. It does use a lot of the same storytelling tropes (orphan boy, lives under and evil empire, finds out he's the Chosen One, meets a wise old teacher...) but those were all around way before Star Wars existed. The difference is that Paolini is an inexperienced writer - the characters aren't quite as believable, the dialog is a little clunky, and some other things about it just come across as hamfisted (like the main character's name. "Eragon" - it's "dragon" with an E!) Without all that, I might not have noticed all the things about this story that I've seen before, but there you go.

"Eragon" probably could have been a lot better if Paolini had sat on it a little while, kept writing, and come back to it when he was more experienced (and had an editor who wasn't related to him.) ( )
  MercuryChaos | Mar 22, 2016 |
''Eragon,'' for all its flaws, is an authentic work of great talent. The story is gripping; it may move awkwardly, but it moves with force. The power of ''Eragon'' lies in its overall effects -- in the sweep of the story and the conviction of its storyteller. Here, Paolini is leagues ahead of most writers, and it is exactly here that his youth is on his side.

Paolini, Christopherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Doyle, GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuittinen, TeroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scotto di Santillo, Maria ConcettaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my mom, for showing me the magic in the world;
to my dad, for revealing the man behind the curtain.
And also my sister, Angela, for helping me when I'm "blue."
Eragon knelt in a bed of trampled reed grass and scanned the tracks with a practiced eye.
PROLOGUE:
SHAED OF FEAR
Wind howled through the night, carrying a scent that would change the world.
It has been one hundred years since the last of the legendary Dragon Riders was slain by the evil Galbatorix, whose tyranny now weighs heavily upon the vast land of Alagaësia. Only three dragon eggs survived the slaughter, and when one of these eggs hatches to a farm-boy named Eragon, Galbatorix dispatches his most fearsome minions to hunt the new Rider down. With his dragon to protect him, Eragon manages to survive the king's first attack, but his uncle is not so lucky. Before long, Eragon finds himself on a quest for revenge that will take him to the far ends of Alagaësia – but an epic power struggle rages around him, and he will soon come to understand the monumental weight of the legacy he has inherited.

AR level 5.6, 25 pts.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440240735, Mass Market Paperback)

Here's a great big fantasy that you can pull over your head like a comfy old sweater and disappear into for a whole weekend. Christopher Paolini began Eragon when he was just 15, and the book shows the influence of Tolkien, of course, but also Terry Brooks, Anne McCaffrey, and perhaps even Wagner in its traditional quest structure and the generally agreed-upon nature of dwarves, elves, dragons, and heroic warfare with magic swords.

Eragon, a young farm boy, finds a marvelous blue stone in a mystical mountain place. Before he can trade it for food to get his family through the hard winter, it hatches a beautiful sapphire-blue dragon, a race thought to be extinct. Eragon bonds with the dragon, and when his family is killed by the marauding Ra'zac, he discovers that he is the last of the Dragon Riders, fated to play a decisive part in the coming war between the human but hidden Varden, dwarves, elves, the diabolical Shades and their neanderthal Urgalls, all pitted against and allied with each other and the evil King Galbatorix. Eragon and his dragon Saphira set out to find their role, growing in magic power and understanding of the complex political situation as they endure perilous travels and sudden battles, dire wounds, capture and escape.

In spite of the engrossing action, this is not a book for the casual fantasy reader. There are 65 names of people, horses, and dragons to be remembered and lots of pseudo-Celtic places, magic words, and phrases in the Ancient Language as well as the speech of the dwarfs and the Urgalls. But the maps and glossaries help, and by the end, readers will be utterly dedicated and eager for the next book, Eldest. (Ages 10 to 14) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:08 -0400)

In Aagaesia, a fifteen-year-old boy of unknown lineage called Eragon finds a mysterious stone that weaves his life into an intricate tapestry of destiny, magic, and power, peopled with dragons, elves, and monsters.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,252,144 books! | Top bar: Always visible