Eragon by Christopher Paolini

Eragon (original 2002; edition 2006)

by Christopher Paolini, Silvia Kómet (Translator), Enrique de Hériz (Translator)

Member:sora91
Title:Eragon
Authors:Christopher Paolini
Other authors:Silvia Kómet (Translator), Enrique de Hériz (Translator)
Info:
Collections:Leídos, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:fantasía, juvenil

Eragon by Christopher Paolini (2002)

The Hobbit, or There and Back Again by J. R. R. Tolkien (jubjub_luver1)
    jubjub_luver1: Both are great adventure books, full of fantasy, adventure, and dragons!
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (jpers36)
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Proginoskes)
    Proginoskes: A necessity for any fan of quality fantasy to read.
    Brisingr by Christopher Paolini (snapplechick)
    Eldest by Christopher Paolini (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Continuation of the story . . .
    The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan (hermionewannabe)
    hermionewannabe: If you enjoy fantasy works than you will love the Eragon series.
    Dragon's Blood by Jane Yolen (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: In Dragon's Blood, indentured servant Jakkin struggles to win his freedom by secretly raising a stolen dragon's egg. I loved Jakkin's bond with his dragon and the intrigue of it all.
    Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey (dagnirath)
    Inheritance by Christopher Paolini (dagnirath)
    Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings (dagnirath)
    dagnirath: Pawn of prophecy... has nothing to do with dragons. However, it does have the same writing style, and Eddings is a master storyteller.
    Warhammer 40,000 Codex: Tyranids 2004 by Games Workshop (Journey07)
    Journey07: I recommend this book because it is a great book. Who doesn't love a good story about dragons?
    The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: If you like quest stories with supernatural creatures, Sea of Trolls is for you. Bard apprentice Jack is kidnapped by Vikings and must face a whole host of creatures straight out of Norse mythology to rescue his sister Lucy.
    Joust by Mercedes Lackey (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Book one of a great series from Mercedes Lackey.
    Children of the Dragon by Rose Estes (infiniteletters)
    The Dragon Circle by Stephen Krensky (infiniteletters)
    Kai's Journey: The New World Chronicles by Charles Siefken (WendySiefken66)
    WendySiefken66: adventure books that will capture your imagination and take you on a journey!
    The Last Dragonlord by Joanne Bertin (Hedgepeth)
    Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind (loriephillips)
    Nightpool by Shirley Rousseau Murphy (infiniteletters)
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (amyblue)

English (467)  German (5)  Spanish (3)  Croatian (1)  Danish (1)  Vietnamese (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (481)
(4.4)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
Eragon was, to my opinion, an outstanding book. I couldn't put it down! Each Chapter is very exciting and hooks on to the reader. The book is very descriptive in detail, which is just wonderful! I Suggest those who love exciting books, read Eragon! ( )
  torii13 | Oct 3, 2014 |
Eragon is one of those long fantasy books that isn't really new and doesn't have high excitement, but is very, very good at being a part of its own universe. There is a grand adventure here, starting with a boy who is about to become a man, but has his world turned upside down by events beyond his control. Through the book he learns to grow, not only as a person, but as someone who might one day have great things thrust upon him.

Paolini went to great lengths to work out the locations for this book, in such a way that you can practically see them in front of you. Readers might even feel as if they could simply walk out of their door and visit some of the places, such is the writing of their description. Each character also seems real, with positive and negative qualities balanced in each of them. Eragon is a hero, but he makes mistakes along the way, he has greatness thrust upon him, but it doesn't at all become something he settles into naturally.

This book has been compared to Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and many other stories, and I personally find some of the Dragon interaction a little Pern-like, but all of those elements mixed together make for some great storytelling. The cultures created within the pages are extremely real and well worked out. Of course, I am a little prejudiced when it comes to my enjoyment of this book, as I much prefer a story that treats dragons as intelligent creatures equal to those around them rather than greedy monsters out for a kill. The culture created there was much to my taste.

The most important thing I can say about this book is that if you have seen the movie and not read the book, forget everything you saw on the screen, pick up the book and read to the end. Usually movies are nothing like the books they were based on, but in this case the movie doesn't even come close. This book is by far the better choice. ( )
  mirrani | Sep 26, 2014 |
Veramente un bel libro. I personaggi sono descritti molto bene, la storia scorre bene... Peccato per il film che ne hanno tratto: una vera schifezza! ( )
  cecca | Jul 28, 2014 |
I think the book was ok.It was good but nothing wow about it.Personally I don't like historical fantasy much but I don't want to limit my reading in any particular genre.So I tried it.
The story was good.The journey of a young boy with his simple normal life turned into something big and vast.The concept was good but the writing style...I don't know...too much description.
I found the long journey of Eragon and Brom was a bit boring.At sometimes it seemed they were travelling and travelling.And when Eragon was in Trojenheim,the description of that part was also a bit long.
But other than these complains the story was not bad.It was interesting and exciting.And the part where Eragon was dreaming about Arya was also good and nicely done.At the end though there was too much mystery remained unsolved like who was Eragon's parents,what was his real name(I knew from the first that it will not be revealed in this book),who saved him from the shade's memory.All these unsolved mystery was enough to keep me interested for the 2nd book. ( )
  sreeparna | Jul 27, 2014 |
''Eragon,'' for all its flaws, is an authentic work of great talent. The story is gripping; it may move awkwardly, but it moves with force. The power of ''Eragon'' lies in its overall effects -- in the sweep of the story and the conviction of its storyteller. Here, Paolini is leagues ahead of most writers, and it is exactly here that his youth is on his side.

Paolini, Christopherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Doyle, GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuittinen, TeroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scotto di Santillo, Maria ConcettaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my mom, for showing me the magic in the world; to my dad, for revealing the man behind the curtain. And also my sister, Angela, for helping me when I'm 'blue.'
Eragon knelt in a bed of trampled reed grass and scanned the tracks with a practiced eye.
It has been one hundred years since the last of the legendary Dragon Riders was slain by the evil Galbatorix, whose tyranny now weighs heavily upon the vast land of Alagaësia. Only three dragon eggs survived the slaughter, and when one of these eggs hatches to a farm-boy named Eragon, Galbatorix dispatches his most fearsome minions to hunt the new Rider down. With his dragon to protect him, Eragon manages to survive the king's first attack, but his uncle is not so lucky. Before long, Eragon finds himself on a quest for revenge that will take him to the far ends of Alagaësia – but an epic power struggle rages around him, and he will soon come to understand the monumental weight of the legacy he has inherited.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440240735, Mass Market Paperback)

Here's a great big fantasy that you can pull over your head like a comfy old sweater and disappear into for a whole weekend. Christopher Paolini began Eragon when he was just 15, and the book shows the influence of Tolkien, of course, but also Terry Brooks, Anne McCaffrey, and perhaps even Wagner in its traditional quest structure and the generally agreed-upon nature of dwarves, elves, dragons, and heroic warfare with magic swords.

Eragon, a young farm boy, finds a marvelous blue stone in a mystical mountain place. Before he can trade it for food to get his family through the hard winter, it hatches a beautiful sapphire-blue dragon, a race thought to be extinct. Eragon bonds with the dragon, and when his family is killed by the marauding Ra'zac, he discovers that he is the last of the Dragon Riders, fated to play a decisive part in the coming war between the human but hidden Varden, dwarves, elves, the diabolical Shades and their neanderthal Urgalls, all pitted against and allied with each other and the evil King Galbatorix. Eragon and his dragon Saphira set out to find their role, growing in magic power and understanding of the complex political situation as they endure perilous travels and sudden battles, dire wounds, capture and escape.

In spite of the engrossing action, this is not a book for the casual fantasy reader. There are 65 names of people, horses, and dragons to be remembered and lots of pseudo-Celtic places, magic words, and phrases in the Ancient Language as well as the speech of the dwarfs and the Urgalls. But the maps and glossaries help, and by the end, readers will be utterly dedicated and eager for the next book, Eldest. (Ages 10 to 14) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:22 -0400)

In Aagaesia, a fifteen-year-old boy of unknown lineage called Eragon finds a mysterious stone that weaves his life into an intricate tapestry of destiny, magic, and power, peopled with dragons, elves, and monsters.

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,359,823 books! | Top bar: Always visible