Eragon by Christopher Paolini

Eragon (original 2002; edition 2006)

by Christopher Paolini, Enrique de Hériz (Translator), Silvia Kómet (Translator)

Member:sora91
Title:Eragon
Authors:Christopher Paolini
Other authors:Enrique de Hériz (Translator), Silvia Kómet (Translator)
Info:Roca Editorial
Collections:Leídos, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:fantasía, juvenil

Eragon by Christopher Paolini (2002)

The Hobbit, or There and Back Again by J. R. R. Tolkien (jubjub_luver1)
    jubjub_luver1: Both are great adventure books, full of fantasy, adventure, and dragons!
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (jpers36)
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Proginoskes)
    Proginoskes: A necessity for any fan of quality fantasy to read.
    Brisingr by Christopher Paolini (snapplechick)
    Eldest by Christopher Paolini (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Continuation of the story . . .
    The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan (hermionewannabe)
    hermionewannabe: If you enjoy fantasy works than you will love the Eragon series.
    Dragon's Blood by Jane Yolen (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: In Dragon's Blood, indentured servant Jakkin struggles to win his freedom by secretly raising a stolen dragon's egg. I loved Jakkin's bond with his dragon and the intrigue of it all.
    Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey (dagnirath)
    Inheritance by Christopher Paolini (dagnirath)
    Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings (dagnirath)
    dagnirath: Pawn of prophecy... has nothing to do with dragons. However, it does have the same writing style, and Eddings is a master storyteller.
    Warhammer 40,000 Codex: Tyranids 2004 by Games Workshop (Journey07)
    Journey07: I recommend this book because it is a great book. Who doesn't love a good story about dragons?
    The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: If you like quest stories with supernatural creatures, Sea of Trolls is for you. Bard apprentice Jack is kidnapped by Vikings and must face a whole host of creatures straight out of Norse mythology to rescue his sister Lucy.
    Joust by Mercedes Lackey (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Book one of a great series from Mercedes Lackey.
    Children of the Dragon by Rose Estes (infiniteletters)
    The Dragon Circle by Stephen Krensky (infiniteletters)
    Kai's Journey: The New World Chronicles by Charles Siefken (WendySiefken66)
    WendySiefken66: adventure books that will capture your imagination and take you on a journey!
    The Last Dragonlord by Joanne Bertin (Hedgepeth)
    Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind (loriephillips)
    Nightpool by Shirley Rousseau Murphy (infiniteletters)
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (amyblue)

English (463)  German (6)  Spanish (3)  Croatian (1)  Danish (1)  Vietnamese (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (478)
After hearing about this for years, the one comment that stuck in my head (other than it was good, and that there were a number of adults fighting over our only copy of the fourth book) was that it was a little like Star Wars. And it really, really is. Star Wars with dragons. Which is cool, because I like Star Wars, and I like dragons, but... yeah. I think the worst offender here is the Darth Vader character. I haven't read any further than the first book, but I'm willing to bet he's Darth Vader through and through.

I liked the whole Dragon Riders element, and their history and relationship with their dragons and whatnot. And the story was pretty exciting, a nice book to listen to while stuck in traffic. I have a soft spot for stories with their own magic systems and well-developed geography like this.

But the various criticisms I've seen leveled at it are true. In addition to the (very, very) Star Wars storyline, it's fairly derivative of fantasy in general. Which was fine with me. It's a YA title, and I was expecting it to be at least a little generic. I was disappointed it wasn't more original, though.

I will read at least the second book though. I'm not particularly caught up in any sort of cliffhanger, but again, this was a great book to listen to in the car. ( )
  ConnieJo | Jul 21, 2014 |
Very enjoyable, not particularly engrossing or poignant, but good fun. ( )
  lam.rock | Jul 1, 2014 |
This book is so exciting and full of adventure! It is the story of Eragon from the country Alagaësia. He is a simple farm boy who makes a magical discovery, a stone that one day hatches into a dragon! Eragon names his dragon Saphria and they begin an epic journey full of battles and tragedy and victory!
  gfurth | Jun 11, 2014 |
I picked up this book, vaguely remembering that I'd thought the movie about a boy and a dragon had been cool.
I loved it. Eragon was a really relatable, down to earth character. His relationship to Seraphina was absolutely endearing. I smiled during some of their little bonding moments.
I'm not sure about Brom... he seemed like a bit of a 'Dumbledore' character, but I respected him.
The adventure was exciting and intriguing- though I'm glad I'll never have to trek through so many 'leagues' with the invention of cars, airplanes, etc. And the map at the front of the book was very helpful, I liked being able to flip back and check their position on the map.
The concept of magic in Eragon' world was very thoughtful- the balance, the consequences, the knowledge and strength needed. It was refreshing.
The other characters were all interesting and well-developed- even those we only got a short glimpse of like his cousin and Katrina, I'd like to see them again later in the series.
One issue I had, was that if I'm right about the mother of all secrets which I think links Murtagh and Eragon, it seemed a little predictable to me- they threw all of the information in there that lets us figure it out after considering it for only a moment. However, I could be wrong, and the truth could be a total shock. I suppose I'll find out when I read the next book.
Overall, I would certainly recommend reading it if you like an olde fashioned adventure, unique characters, and a heart-warming relationship between boy and dragon.

****
After reading some of the other negative reviews, I felt the need to defend Eragon a little.
A common criticism was 'plagiarism'. Now, I haven't seen anyone point out an exact character/event/quote etc. that was from any other book, and fantasy books (and other genres) tend to share similar ideas. This is only inevitable with so many books out there.
Another thing people talked about was Eragon, and his lack of depth. I disagree. From my understanding, Eragon is humble, brave, doesn't like to see the suffering of others, and is sometimes impulsive/thoughtless.
I also thought the book itself had alot of depth- the character that talks about the dangers of having a single, immortal ruler...the ambivalent attitude towards the dragon riders, the complex relationship between the species... I could go on.
1 vote Sweet_Serenity | May 20, 2014 |
Slow and a bit predictable. Had this been written by an adult, I would have thought "meh" but the fact that it was created by a teenager makes it significantly more impressive. ( )
  benuathanasia | Apr 1, 2014 |
''Eragon,'' for all its flaws, is an authentic work of great talent. The story is gripping; it may move awkwardly, but it moves with force. The power of ''Eragon'' lies in its overall effects -- in the sweep of the story and the conviction of its storyteller. Here, Paolini is leagues ahead of most writers, and it is exactly here that his youth is on his side.

Paolini, Christopherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Doyle, GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuittinen, TeroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scotto di Santillo, Maria ConcettaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my mom, for showing me the magic in the world; to my dad, for revealing the man behind the curtain. And also my sister, Angela, for helping me when I'm 'blue.'
Eragon knelt in a bed of trampled reed grass and scanned the tracks with a practiced eye.
It has been one hundred years since the last of the legendary Dragon Riders was slain by the evil Galbatorix, whose tyranny now weighs heavily upon the vast land of Alagaësia. Only three dragon eggs survived the slaughter, and when one of these eggs hatches to a farm-boy named Eragon, Galbatorix dispatches his most fearsome minions to hunt the new Rider down. With his dragon to protect him, Eragon manages to survive the king's first attack, but his uncle is not so lucky. Before long, Eragon finds himself on a quest for revenge that will take him to the far ends of Alagaësia – but an epic power struggle rages around him, and he will soon come to understand the monumental weight of the legacy he has inherited.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440240735, Mass Market Paperback)

Here's a great big fantasy that you can pull over your head like a comfy old sweater and disappear into for a whole weekend. Christopher Paolini began Eragon when he was just 15, and the book shows the influence of Tolkien, of course, but also Terry Brooks, Anne McCaffrey, and perhaps even Wagner in its traditional quest structure and the generally agreed-upon nature of dwarves, elves, dragons, and heroic warfare with magic swords.

Eragon, a young farm boy, finds a marvelous blue stone in a mystical mountain place. Before he can trade it for food to get his family through the hard winter, it hatches a beautiful sapphire-blue dragon, a race thought to be extinct. Eragon bonds with the dragon, and when his family is killed by the marauding Ra'zac, he discovers that he is the last of the Dragon Riders, fated to play a decisive part in the coming war between the human but hidden Varden, dwarves, elves, the diabolical Shades and their neanderthal Urgalls, all pitted against and allied with each other and the evil King Galbatorix. Eragon and his dragon Saphira set out to find their role, growing in magic power and understanding of the complex political situation as they endure perilous travels and sudden battles, dire wounds, capture and escape.

In spite of the engrossing action, this is not a book for the casual fantasy reader. There are 65 names of people, horses, and dragons to be remembered and lots of pseudo-Celtic places, magic words, and phrases in the Ancient Language as well as the speech of the dwarfs and the Urgalls. But the maps and glossaries help, and by the end, readers will be utterly dedicated and eager for the next book, Eldest. (Ages 10 to 14) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:22 -0400)

In Aagaesia, a fifteen-year-old boy of unknown lineage called Eragon finds a mysterious stone that weaves his life into an intricate tapestry of destiny, magic, and power, peopled with dragons, elves and monsters.

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,546,321 books! | Top bar: Always visible