Even Cowgirls Get the Blues by Tom Robbins

Even Cowgirls Get the Blues (original 1976; edition 1990)

by Tom Robbins

Member:heina
Title:Even Cowgirls Get the Blues
Authors:Tom Robbins
Info:Bantam (1990), Paperback, 384 pages
Tags:2012, download

Even Cowgirls Get the Blues by Tom Robbins (1976)

English (31)  French (2)  All languages (33)
This book is funny, sort-of. But the characters are discreet entities, so the writer does deploy some skill. Definitely an attempt at feminist humour. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Apr 24, 2014 |
Recommended I believe by a friend's father's friend, he sent me a box of books to read and this was one of them. I hadn't liked a book as much as this in ages. (And then I saw the film, and I haven't hated a film as much as that in ages) ( )
  allisonneke | Dec 17, 2013 |
This was December's pick for our book club. I was not too impressed with the book. Here's what happened in the 300 or so pages: A woman with large thumbs who loves to hitchhike gets married, then goes to a cowgirl ranch and has sex with a woman and an old man and eventually gets pregnant by the old man and lives in a cave. The end.

For the rest of the review, visit my book blog at: http://angelofmine1974.livejournal.com/63528.html ( )
  booklover3258 | Dec 15, 2013 |
Even Cowgirls Get the Blues has some unforgettable characters: Sissy, who has turned hitchhiking into her life's work, given her gigantic thumbs; Bonanza Jellybean and the other cowgirls at the Rubber Rose Ranch, the Countess (a feminine hygene product tycoon) and Chink the philosopher/dirty old man.

The book also presents wonderful ideas about feminism (from a male author in 1976, no less), the meaning of time, of success....

What it doesn't have is much of a plot, but that doesn't seem to matter too much as lots happens and the characters are so interesting. ( )
  LynnB | Dec 13, 2013 |
I revisited this book with some misgivings. I read this book so many times my original copy fell apart. It was so heavily underlined and annotated that the original text was hard to make out. I was a teenager, in love with words and possibilities. I'm middle-aged now, still in love with words but more closed off, more apt to sneer at ingenuousness and hope. I was hesitant to open the new copy of Even Cowgirls Get the Blues.

I needn't have worried. Though some of it is undeniably dated, the core of joy and playfulness shines through Robbins' philosophical musings. It was surprising how much of this book I still knew by heart though I've not read it in probably 15 years. It's a paean to love and transcendence, a delightful romp through philosophies that can seem like blunt instruments in less skillful hands.

satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
The lust of the goat is the bounty of God. The nakedness of a woman is the work of God. Excess of sorrow laughs. Excess of joy weeps. -- William Blake
I told Dale, "When I go, just skin me and put me on top of Trigger." And Dale said, "Now don't get any ideas about me." -- Roy Rogers
To Fleetwood Star Robbins, the apple, the pineapple, the mango, and orchard of my eye. And, of course, to all cowgirls, everywhere.
It is not a heart: light, heavy, kind or broken; dear, hard, bleeding or transplanted; it is not a heart.
Success can eliminate as many options as failure.

Sissy Hankshaw jest wyjątkową dziewczyną, która urodziła się z niezwykle dużymi kciukami. W tej sytuacji mogła wybrać tylko jedną drogę życiową - została autostopowiczką. I to autostopowiczką niezrównaną.Po wieloletnich wędrówkach przez czas i przestrzeń dotarła w końcu na ranczo Gumowej Róży.Tam przyłączyła się do grupy kowbojek i wraz z nimi rozpoczęła walkę o wolność - swoją i żurawi krzykliwych.

[Zysk i S-ka, 1999]

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055334949X, Paperback)

The whooping crane rustlers are girls. Young girls. Cowgirls, as a matter of fact, all “bursting with dimples and hormones”—and the FBI has never seen anything quite like them. Yet their rebellion at the Rubber Rose Ranch is almost overshadowed by the arrival of the legendary Sissy Hankshaw, a white-trash goddess literally born to hitchhike, and the freest female of them all.

Freedom, its prizes and its prices, is a major theme of Tom Robbins’s classic tale of eccentric adventure. As his robust characters attempt to turn the tables on fate, the reader is drawn along on a tragicomic joyride across the badlands of sexuality, wild rivers of language, and the frontiers of the mind.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:30 -0400)

The outrageous bestseller that stars Sissy Hankshaw--flawlessly beautiful, almost. A small-town girl with big-time dreams and a quirk to match--hitchhiking her way into your heart, your hopes, and your sleeping bag. . . . Follow Sissy's amazing odyssey from Virginia to Manhattan to the Dakota Badlands, where FBI agents, cowgirls and ecstatic whooping cranes explode in a deliciously drawn-out climax.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,238,866 books! | Top bar: Always visible