Even Cowgirls Get the Blues by Tom Robbins

Even Cowgirls Get the Blues (original 1976; edition 1990)

by Tom Robbins

Member:heina
Title:Even Cowgirls Get the Blues
Authors:Tom Robbins
Info:Bantam (1990), Paperback, 384 pages
Tags:2012, download

Even Cowgirls Get the Blues by Tom Robbins (1976)

English (35)  French (2)  All languages (37)
I could not get into this book and put it on the table to go back to the library without finishing. Seemed fairly entertaining, but I just don't care for Robbins' style of writing I guess. I have been told his books are not for everyone. ( )
  KathyGilbert | Jan 29, 2016 |
Tom Robbins, where have you been all my life? My first venture into this iconic author collection of work- ‘Even Cowgirls’ was like a resurrection of the finer things of youth. Passion, fearlessness, idealism, quirkiness, rebellion, individuality--- this book made me ache for all of that absurdity. I never truly expected to get in touch with that special ‘coming of age’ optimism again. Perhaps Robbins does know a bit about magic. “Magic makes something permanent out of the transitory, coaxes drama from the colloquial.” Now that I’ve found him, I look forward to meeting Mr. Tom Robbins again and again though his host of works. I hope they are as funny and poetic as ‘Even Cowgirls.’ ( )
  Alidawn | Jan 29, 2016 |
My second favorite by Robbins, I think it made a bigger impression on my lesbianic friends. At certain points I can recall laughing so hard it hurt. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
male sexual fantasy without enough intellectual, interesting digressions to counteract the fact that he mary sued himself onto a ranch of fetishized and objectified women. ( )
  mongoosenamedt | Nov 10, 2015 |
You don't have to be some unusually well endowed Sissy Hankshaw to give Even Cowgirls Get the Blues a big thumbs up! ( )
3 vote EnriqueFreeque | Apr 22, 2015 |
The lust of the goat is the bounty of God. The nakedness of woman is the work of God. Excess of sorrow laughs. Excess of joy weeps.
--William Blake
I told Dale, "When I go, just skin me and put me on top of Trigger." And Dale said, "Now don't get any ideas about me."
-- Roy Rogers
To Fleetwood Star Robbins, the apple, the pineapple, the mango, and orchard of my eye. And, of course, to all cowgirls, everywhere.
Amoebae leave no fossils.
Success can eliminate as many options as failure.

Sissy Hankshaw jest wyjątkową dziewczyną, która urodziła się z niezwykle dużymi kciukami. W tej sytuacji mogła wybrać tylko jedną drogę życiową - została autostopowiczką. I to autostopowiczką niezrównaną.Po wieloletnich wędrówkach przez czas i przestrzeń dotarła w końcu na ranczo Gumowej Róży.Tam przyłączyła się do grupy kowbojek i wraz z nimi rozpoczęła walkę o wolność - swoją i żurawi krzykliwych.

[Zysk i S-ka, 1999]

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055334949X, Paperback)

The whooping crane rustlers are girls. Young girls. Cowgirls, as a matter of fact, all “bursting with dimples and hormones”—and the FBI has never seen anything quite like them. Yet their rebellion at the Rubber Rose Ranch is almost overshadowed by the arrival of the legendary Sissy Hankshaw, a white-trash goddess literally born to hitchhike, and the freest female of them all.

Freedom, its prizes and its prices, is a major theme of Tom Robbins’s classic tale of eccentric adventure. As his robust characters attempt to turn the tables on fate, the reader is drawn along on a tragicomic joyride across the badlands of sexuality, wild rivers of language, and the frontiers of the mind.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:17 -0400)

The outrageous bestseller that stars Sissy Hankshaw--flawlessly beautiful, almost. A small-town girl with big-time dreams and a quirk to match--hitchhiking her way into your heart, your hopes, and your sleeping bag. . . . Follow Sissy's amazing odyssey from Virginia to Manhattan to the Dakota Badlands, where FBI agents, cowgirls and ecstatic whooping cranes explode in a deliciously drawn-out climax.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,186,498 books! | Top bar: Always visible