Even cowgirls get the blues by Tom Robbins

Even cowgirls get the blues (original 1976; edition 1976)

by Tom Robbins

Member:emcglohon
Title:Even cowgirls get the blues
Authors:Tom Robbins
Info:New York : Bantam Books, 1976.
Rating:***1/2

Even Cowgirls Get the Blues by Tom Robbins (1976)

English (36)  French (2)  All languages (38)
Even Cowgirls Get the Blues tells the story of Sissy Hankshaw, a woman born with a mutation (she would not call it a defect) giving her enormously large thumbs. The novel is a transgressive romp, covering topics from homosexuality and free love to drug use and political rebellion to animal rights and body odor and religions. Sissy makes the most of her thumbs by becoming a hitchhiker. Her travels take her to New York, where she becomes a model for the Countess, a homosexual tycoon of feminine hygiene products, who introduces her to the man whom she will marry, a staid Mohawk named Julian Gitche. In her later travels she encounters, among many others, a sexually open cowgirl named Bonanza Jellybean and an itinerant escapee from the Japanese internment camps happily mislabeled "the Chink." Robbins finally inserts himself into the novel as a character as well.

bostonwendym | Mar 3, 2016 |
I could not get into this book and put it on the table to go back to the library without finishing. Seemed fairly entertaining, but I just don't care for Robbins' style of writing I guess. I have been told his books are not for everyone. ( )
  KathyGilbert | Jan 29, 2016 |
Tom Robbins, where have you been all my life? My first venture into this iconic author collection of work- ‘Even Cowgirls’ was like a resurrection of the finer things of youth. Passion, fearlessness, idealism, quirkiness, rebellion, individuality--- this book made me ache for all of that absurdity. I never truly expected to get in touch with that special ‘coming of age’ optimism again. Perhaps Robbins does know a bit about magic. “Magic makes something permanent out of the transitory, coaxes drama from the colloquial.” Now that I’ve found him, I look forward to meeting Mr. Tom Robbins again and again though his host of works. I hope they are as funny and poetic as ‘Even Cowgirls.’ ( )
  Alidawn | Jan 29, 2016 |
My second favorite by Robbins, I think it made a bigger impression on my lesbianic friends. At certain points I can recall laughing so hard it hurt. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
male sexual fantasy without enough intellectual, interesting digressions to counteract the fact that he mary sued himself onto a ranch of fetishized and objectified women. ( )
  mongoosenamedt | Nov 10, 2015 |
The lust of the goat is the bounty of God. The nakedness of woman is the work of God. Excess of sorrow laughs. Excess of joy weeps.
--William Blake
I told Dale, "When I go, just skin me and put me on top of Trigger." And Dale said, "Now don't get any ideas about me."
-- Roy Rogers
To Fleetwood Star Robbins, the apple, the pineapple, the mango, and orchard of my eye. And, of course, to all cowgirls, everywhere.
Amoebae leave no fossils.
Success can eliminate as many options as failure.

Sissy Hankshaw jest wyjątkową dziewczyną, która urodziła się z niezwykle dużymi kciukami. W tej sytuacji mogła wybrać tylko jedną drogę życiową - została autostopowiczką. I to autostopowiczką niezrównaną.Po wieloletnich wędrówkach przez czas i przestrzeń dotarła w końcu na ranczo Gumowej Róży.Tam przyłączyła się do grupy kowbojek i wraz z nimi rozpoczęła walkę o wolność - swoją i żurawi krzykliwych.

[Zysk i S-ka, 1999]

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055334949X, Paperback)

The whooping crane rustlers are girls. Young girls. Cowgirls, as a matter of fact, all “bursting with dimples and hormones”—and the FBI has never seen anything quite like them. Yet their rebellion at the Rubber Rose Ranch is almost overshadowed by the arrival of the legendary Sissy Hankshaw, a white-trash goddess literally born to hitchhike, and the freest female of them all.

Freedom, its prizes and its prices, is a major theme of Tom Robbins’s classic tale of eccentric adventure. As his robust characters attempt to turn the tables on fate, the reader is drawn along on a tragicomic joyride across the badlands of sexuality, wild rivers of language, and the frontiers of the mind.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:17 -0400)

The outrageous bestseller that stars Sissy Hankshaw--flawlessly beautiful, almost. A small-town girl with big-time dreams and a quirk to match--hitchhiking her way into your heart, your hopes, and your sleeping bag. . . . Follow Sissy's amazing odyssey from Virginia to Manhattan to the Dakota Badlands, where FBI agents, cowgirls and ecstatic whooping cranes explode in a deliciously drawn-out climax.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,647 books! | Top bar: Always visible