Merrick by Anne Rice

Merrick

by Anne Rice

I related a lot to Merrick and David's relationship. I really enjoyed this book, though not as much as I've enjoyed some of her others. ( )
  KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
Finally the Mayfair family and the vampires are combined and brought together. While reading of the Mayfair witches isn't necessary to read and understand this book, that series is so good, why wouldn't you?

This is a tale of ghosts, vampiric death, spirits, voodoo, and love. Good fun! ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
I really enjoyed Merrick. It's part of the Vampire Chronicles series and it focuses on the history between David Talbot and a witch named Merrick. The history is all background story of course in the fashion that Anne Rice often does in her books, but the main plot of the story is that Louis wants to contact Claudia's ghost and David gets in touch with the witch Merrick to request that she use her magic to do this. Personally I found the background story more interesting than the actual main plot. This book does involve the Mayfair witches so if you have any interest in reading the trilogy about the Mayfair witches, you should probably read them before you read this book. ( )
  Kythe42 | Jul 10, 2013 |
Bought at work from the 10p bookswap shelves - the only way I can bring myself to read any of AR's books, and even then I'm regretting it already. Several years back I deaccessioned all of the Rice books on my shelves; they'd gone from being a fun read to a guilty pleasure to one that made me feel more nauseous than guilty. I only bought this one because, I dunno, I'm short of books to read due to lots of ours having been in storage for ages, and why not give this a go, can't be all that bad, can it?

It's not all that bad, no, but it isn't well written. In its defence, I liked the face that the kind of magic brought into this story was specifically American-continent - Brazilian Candomblé, Mesoamerican Mayan shamanism. But she doesn't do anything with it, once she's got a couple of exciting scenes out of the way, and achieved a MacGuffin. I also rather liked (as well as being a bit annoyed by) the uncertainty of whether the central witch character was going to end up having a negative effect despite the positive spin she was given from the start - a bit like Rowan Mayfair having been set up as the main heroine but actually bringing disaster to her nearest and dearest. The actual ending was pants though. ( )
  comixminx | Apr 8, 2013 |

Anne Riceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Malcolm, GraemeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Stan Rice and Christopher Rice and Nancy Rice Diamond
My name is David Talbot.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345422406, Mass Market Paperback)

Just when you thought it was safe for a bloodsucker to go out in the dark in New Orleans, along comes Merrick Mayfair, a sultry, hard-drinking octoroon beauty whose voodoo can turn the toughest vampire into a marionette dancing to her merry, scary tune. In Merrick, Anne Rice brings back three of her most wildly popular characters--the vampires Lestat and Louis and the dead vampire child Claudia--and introduces them to the world of her Mayfair Witches book series.

It is Louis who brings about the collision of the fang and voodoo universes. Louis made Claudia a vampire in Rice's classic Interview with the Vampire, in which she was destroyed, and now he's obsessed with raising her ghost to make amends and seek guidance from the beyond. (Claudia physically resembles Rice's young daughter who died of a blood-related illness. Rice nearly died of a diabetic coma in 1998, and writing Merrick turned her excruciating recovery into an exhilarating burst of creativity).

Vampire David Talbot lobbies Merrick to call Claudia's spirit and slake Louis's guilt, but Talbot winds up in the grip of an obsession with the witch. You see, Talbot, unlike most vampires, lived 70 years as a human, so his sexual response to humans is still as strong as his blood thirst. Merrick can cast spells to make men crave her, and Talbot is tormented. After she reads his palm, he muses, "I wanted to take her in my arms, not to feed from her, no, not harm her, only kiss her, only sink my fangs a very little, only taste her blood and her secrets, but this was dreadful and I wouldn't let it go on."

The secrets of Merrick are dark and sensuous, but the book is a romp animated by Rice's feeling of coming back to life through the magic of a literary outpouring. The narrative flashes back to the past, to an Indiana Jones-ish adventure in a Guatemalan cave, and to scenes from many other Rice novels. It may be helpful to read Merrick with the Rice-approved guidebooks The Vampire Companion and The Witches' Companion at hand.

After many books, Rice's grand Vampire Chronicles tale was in peril of getting long in the tooth. Merrick Mayfair's magic represents an infusion of fresh blood. --Tim Appelo

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:50 -0400)

David Talbot, an adventurer and near-mortal vampire, narrates the saga of Merrick, a descendant of the Mayfair witches, from whom she inherits her magical gifts, and of a mixed African and French background that is steeped in traditions and lore of voodoo.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,274,872 books! | Top bar: Always visible