Violin by Anne Rice

Violin (original 1997; edition 1997)

by Anne Rice

Member:atrautz
Title:Violin
Authors:Anne Rice
Info:New York : Alfred A. Knopf, 1997.
Collections:Fiction/Literature/Plays/Essays, Read (Personal Collection)
Rating:***
Tags:Horror, Ghosts, Supernatural

Violin by Anne Rice (1997)

English (14)  Swedish (1)  All languages (15)
Different from her others. I didn't like it at first, but it grew on me. Oddly enough, there was a truly happy ending for all including the ghost. That's a twist! Way too talky, but Rice does that sometimes. Different. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 23, 2014 |
Considering the level of all Anne Rice's books that I have already read, this one was a complete let down. Perhaps I was expecting something different, as sexy as the books from her vampires series. How upset I was when I found that this book actually tells the story of a woman in such a depression level that it get actually annoying. Amidst her sorrow, this woman meets the ghost of a violinist.

You hopefully suppose that the story is going to improve now that the woman met the subject of the book, but this is actually where the book gets awfully tedious. During the 400 pages of the book, the only thing that they do is argue and scream at each other. As you go through the story you get to the conclusion that, in spite of the bonds that tight them together in the story, whatever still keeps them together is not clear. It's not the violin. Seriously, it CAN'T be the violin because Triana barely played violin. Stephan's attitudes can be justified. Not Triana's.
As for the main character, she tells her weird, non-violin related, stupid story about her bizarre past.

The only part of the book that I effectively liked (and, in my opinion, should've been the core of the book since the first page) was Stephan's story, which could have been better explored but only lasted 10 or 20 pages. ( )
  aryadeschain | Aug 26, 2014 |
Amazing. Stunning. A masterpiece.
This book moved me to a different place, time. A feeling. An emotion.
Somehow she created music and art out of words in a way few others have ever been able to do.
I can not say enough how much I enjoyed this book. A true gem in Anne Rice's collection, this book has not been given enough attention by the world. Yet. ( )
  KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
Easily, the worst book I have ever read. ( )
2 vote Asillie | May 27, 2011 |
Not her best. Actually, most of her other books are better than this one. ( )
  nevusmom | Oct 15, 2010 |
What I seek to do here perhaps cannot be done in words.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679433023, Hardcover)

If neatness counts for you, don't count on Anne Rice's musical-ghost novel Violin. It is an eruption of the author's personal demons, as messy as the monster bursting from that poor fellow's chest in the movie Alien. Like Rice, the heroine Triana lives in New Orleans, mourns a dead young daughter and a drunken mother, and is subject to uncanny visions. A violin-virtuoso ghost named Stefan time-trips and globetrots with Triana, taunting her for her inability to play his Stradivarius--which echoes composer Salieri's jealousy in Amadeus and possibly Rice's jealousy of her successful poet husband Stan Rice in the years before her own florid, lurid writing made her famous. The storytelling here is too abstract, but the almost certainly autobiographical emotions could not be more visceral. At one point, the narrator exclaims, "Shame, blame, maim, pain, vain!" But Rice's dip in the acid bath of memory was not in vain--she packs the pain of a lifetime into 289 pages.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:17 -0400)

A woman from New Orleans steals a violin from a ghost and becomes the musician she always wanted, finding herself acclaimed on two continents. Part fantasy, part reality.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,995,932 books! | Top bar: Always visible