Necropolis by Anthony Horowitz

Necropolis (2008)

by Anthony Horowitz

Series: The Power of Five (Book 4), The Gatekeepers (Book 4)

English (25)  Dutch (1)  All (26)
It is definitely a guy book. Too much blood and gore for me. I know my middle school boys will like it. The ending did leave me wanting more though. ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
An interesting story ( )
  Shadow494 | Jun 20, 2016 |
The fourth book in the Whyborne & Griffin series, these just get better and better. Between weaving an action filled, truly original plot consisting of ancient Egyptian Goddesses and Gods, ghuls, tombs and demons, not to mention the hostile environment, Ms. Hawk's wonderful characters (I am truly attached to them) reveal more about themselves in a very believable way--strengthening the triumvirate of uber-archaeologist, scholar-sorcerer, and Pinkerton turned PI/Monster-Hunter (I really wanted to say that, and it's not untrue, it just sounds suspicious the way I worded it).

While one could read this as a standalone, I would highly recommend against it. Much work has gone into creating the characters in the first three books, and they are very layered. Others might have differing opinions. This also isn't your typical Historical novel, for those who tend to shy away from them. These are more like Indiana Jones in the Victorian period, just throw out your gender role preconceptions at the door.
These are some of my favorite books of any genre. This is a bit of a cheat review as I didn't go into detail about the book itself. It's the first book where they've traveled into Christine's domain in the Egyptian desert, far out of Whyborne's comfort zone, with Griffin much more amenable to the journey. And whoever said getting there is half the fun has obviously never traveled with these two... ( )
  waclements7 | Oct 27, 2015 |
Book four, back on form for me, I really enjoyed that and can't wait to finish the set. That is one of the pluses of finding these later when they are all released I can just go straight on! Unlike book three this one had me the whole way through, I loved the way it was written from different points of view and all of them were equally enjoyable and gradually came together. I loved reading what Horowitz did to Hong Kong gradually turning it into the necropolis of the title and of course the Horowitz ending leaving you begging for more and waiting for the final book in the series. Loved it! ( )
  beckym | May 9, 2014 |

For Nicholas
Nightrise Corporation
Strictly Confidential
Memorandum from the Chairman's Office: October 15

We are about to take power.
(Prologue)

The stakes get higher in #1 NYT bestselling author Anthony Horowitz's latest masterpiece.

As the fourth novel in the spellbinding Gatekeepers series begins, the world is under the greatest threat it's ever known. The evil corporation Nightrise has amassed an immense amount of power . . . and the devastating force of the Old Ones is about to be unleashed around the globe. To stop this from happening, Matt and three of the Gatekeepers head to Hong Kong--not just the modern city of skyscrapers and wealth, but the secretive underworld beneath. In Hong Kong they will meet the final Gatekeeper, a girl named Scarlet, whose fate is inextricably joined to their own....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:16 -0400)

To stop the evil corporation Nightrise from unleashing its devastating power around the globe, fifteen-year-old Matt and three other Gatekeepers travel to Hong Kong to find Scarlet, the final Gatekeeper, whose fate is inextricably joined to their own.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Necropolis by Anthony Horowitz was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,321,215 books! | Top bar: Always visible