Soul of the Fire by Terry Goodkind

Soul of the Fire (1999)

by Terry Goodkind

Series: Sword of Truth (5)

Recently added byc3044462, Calladus, mojo09226, private library, slwysocki

English (20)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (22)
Very addictive from the moment I started. The story continues straight after the last novel, the day after Richard and Kahlan's wedding. On their first day married strange things start happening around them starting with the death of a chicken! Turns out the chicken was not a chicken. It was a chime. In the act of saving Richard from the magical plague in the last book, Kahlan had set loose the chimes on the world. While they are in the world of the living, they will destroy magic and lure people into death through water, fire or jumping off high places. Zed tries to hide the truth from Richard to protect him, sending him off to the Wizard's Keep to retrieve the sword of truth whilst going to Anderith himself to deal with the Chimes. He gets his soul taken and turns into a Raven. Ann tries to free the sisters captured by Emporer Jagang but gets captured instead. Richard, Kahlan and Cara head to the Keep but meet Du Chaillu and her blade masters on the way. From what Richard's pregnant "first wife" - all sorts of trouble follows this - tells him, he decides they must go to Anderith to warn of the impending arrival of Jagang's massive army and at the same time, find out more about Joseph Ander, the chimes, and the Domanie Dirtch that protects Anderith. Cara is sent reluctantly to the keep to retrieve his sword. Anderith meanwhile is embroiled in politics as their soveriegn approaches the end of his life, people jostle for power. Chief among them is Dalton Campbell who efficiently manipulates a web of assistants for his support of the minister Chanboor to become the next Sovereign. He is so efficient manipulating everyone from the young Hakens, Beata and Fitch to his network of messangers and the despicable minister himself that he gets exactly what he wants in his secret deal with Jagang's representative... and yet everything falls apart as he loses his wife, his friend and ultimately condemns Anderith to a fate worse than death. But he does return Richard's sword of truth in the end as he takes Kahlan home with him to convalesce after her horrendous attack.

I did enjoy this novel even though at least half the novel focused on the new characters from Anderith - not that many of them remained by the end of the novel. It drew me in from the start and was unput-downable before I even got half-way through. Very involving read. ( )
  LindaLiu | Jul 23, 2015 |
Not exactly my favorite from the series. A lot of stupid decisions, IMO, made by various characters. But I suppose it's for the betterment of their development. ( )
  jms001 | Jun 14, 2015 |
This particular installment of the Sword of Truth series was a bit of a downer. Albeit the best possible downer. Goodkind takes a major pause from the main storyline in order to develop a secondary storyline which has a huge impact on Richard and Kahlan toward the end of the book. I absolutely love the way in which Goodkind presents political agendas. My favorite quote in the book is from an up and coming social climber, Dalton Campbell, who recognizes the folly of his ambition a bit too late. "Following the lead of noted people such as the Directors, ordinary people had not taken to loudly voicing the tailored notions they had been fed. Even though Dalton had expected it, he never failed to find it remarkable the way he had but to say a thing enough times, through enough people, and it became the popular truth, its provenance lost as it was mimicked by ordinary people who came to believe that it was their own idea." The book ends on a massive cliffhanger, so make sure to have Faith of the Fallen in hand well before you conclude this one. ( )
  silva_44 | Jun 4, 2015 |
This review refers to the SOT series through book 9.

Terry Goodkind’s first book Wizard’s First Rule was great! Except for the actual First Rule ("People are Stupid"), which was...stupid. The story had so many unique and fascinating characters (especially the secondary ones). I was in love with Richard; I wanted to be a Mord-Sith. The next couple of books of The Sword of Truth were pretty good, too.

Then...I don’t know what happened...it just TOTALLY lost it. The writing style became incredibly annoying and Richard was getting WAY too preachy (constant Ayn Rand-ish humanistic ranting). But, I kept going because I was really invested by this time. And each time I bought one of his $25 hardback books, I found myself rolling my eyes at every passive sentence and starting to fall asleep during the sermons (when did Richard hire a speech writer??).

And the plot really got ssslllllloooowwww (just look at the book covers for Chainfire and Phantom — you can tell we're not going anywhere). But the weirdest thing is that I kept buying these 1 star books! I can’t explain my behavior, except to say that Terry Goodkind is (was) a master at plot and characterization (truly, his secondary characters are so well done). So I kept thinking that things would get better, but they did not. How did he pull off that excellent first booK?? I've learned from this experience that I can put down a book if it's not good. There's too much good literature to read.

According to Mr Goodkind, those of us who have bailed out are ignorant and uneducated. Wow. That is something I have never been called before. I should have realized right from the start ("Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid") what kind of fellow Terry Goodkind is. Here is a quote from a chat session conducted with Mr Goodkind (this used to be on his website, but has now been removed. It is well-documented on the internet, however.):

"Why would they continue to read books they claim are bad? Because they hate that my novels exists. Values arouse hatred in these people. Their goal is not to enjoy life, but to destroy that which is good — much like a school child who does not wish to study for a test and instead beats up a classmate who does well. These people hate what is good because it is good. Their lives are limited to loathing and indifference. It isn't that they want to read a good book, what they want is to make sure that you do not. Ignore them." —Terry Goodkind

I say Terry Goodkind is the one acting like a school child having a tantrum. I regret that he got so much of my money. I hope you won't give him any of yours. If you really want to try a Goodkind book, I would recommend that you go to the library and check out the first few, and then trust me that you don't need to read any further. I will not read the last book. I'm not even tempted. What an ass.
Read more Terry Goodkind book reviews at Fantasy Literature . ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
A chicken that's not a chicken, a raven that's not raven, and a plot that's not a plot. Oh how this series has fallen in just 4 books from the first [b:Wizard's First Rule|43889|Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)|Terry Goodkind|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1316131846s/43889.jpg|1323305]? I keep hearing revs of newer books in the series, that's all that keeps me reading on in this series that is becoming known for huge brainless fodder for the masses. ( )
  capiam1234 | Aug 14, 2013 |

Terry Goodkindprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gianni, NicolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parkinson, KeithCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruitenberg, JosephineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To James Frenkel, a man of great patience, courage, integrity, and talent.
"I wonder what's bothering the chickens," Richard said.

Per salvare Richard dalla peste, Kahlan è stata costretta a richiamare dal Mondo Sotterraneo i tre Rintocchi: Vasi, Sentrosi e Rechani. Queste creature magiche possiedono un’abilità particolare, che consente loro di prosciugare la magia presente nella dimensione in cui sono state liberate. Ma ora, a causa della loro presenza, i popoli delle Terre Centrali rischiano di perdere i propri poteri magici, mettendo in pericolo non solo la vita di ognuno ma favorendo anche l’oscuro disegno di Jagang, il malvagio imperatore dell’Ordine Imperiale, dominato da un odio assoluto e irrefrenabile per la magia. Kahlan e Richard, in parte responsabili della situazione e della minaccia che incombe sul loro mondo, sono gli unici in grado di fermare e rispedire nell’aldilà i tre Rintocchi, e non vi è rischio o prezzo da pagare che non valga la salvezza delle Terre Centrali.

Continua, con questo quinto volume, il ciclo più acclamato della fantasy contemporanea

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812551494, Mass Market Paperback)

Soul of the Fire is the fifth book in Terry Goodkind's wildly popular Sword of Truth saga. The previous books are: Wizard's First Rule, Stone of Tears, Blood of the Fold, and Temple of the Winds.

When last we saw our heroes--Richard Cypher (Lord Rahl) and Kahlan Amnell--they each had made enormous sacrifices to save one another from certain doom. To save her beloved, Khalan, Mother Confessor of the Midlands, had spoken the three chimes, summoning these chaotic beings from the world beyond and unwittingly releasing incredibly destructive power. Now the chimes are stealing souls, and malevolent forces are reshaping the world itself. To save everything from almost certain doom, Richard, Kahlan, and the wizard Zedd must hunt the elusive chimes and reharness them before it's too late.

Although comparisons to Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series are inevitable, there's obviously enough room in the world for more than one blockbuster swords and sorcery series. With Soul of the Fire, fans of epic sagas will get their fill of adventure, magic, strange beings, and struggles for power as Goodkind delivers another thrilling episode of the Sword of Truth, with all the complexity and taut characterization we've come to expect from this master of fantasy. --Adam Fisher

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:37 -0400)

Seeker of Truth Richard Rahl and Mother Confessor Kahlan Amnell must confront the Chimes, a magical force that they accidentally unleashed, before the Chimes can destroy them and ravage all of D'Hara

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,784,569 books! | Top bar: Always visible