Soul of the Fire by Terry Goodkind

Soul of the Fire (1999)

by Terry Goodkind

Series: Sword of Truth (5)

Recently added byannertan, generalerror, knersus, nycke137, drhapgood, Bookluvr1989, private library, ladyofbadgers

English (17)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (19)
This review refers to the SOT series through book 9.

Terry Goodkind’s first book Wizard’s First Rule was great! Except for the actual First Rule ("People are Stupid"), which was...stupid. The story had so many unique and fascinating characters (especially the secondary ones). I was in love with Richard; I wanted to be a Mord-Sith. The next couple of books of The Sword of Truth were pretty good, too.

Then...I don’t know what happened...it just TOTALLY lost it. The writing style became incredibly annoying and Richard was getting WAY too preachy (constant Ayn Rand-ish humanistic ranting). But, I kept going because I was really invested by this time. And each time I bought one of his $25 hardback books, I found myself rolling my eyes at every passive sentence and starting to fall asleep during the sermons (when did Richard hire a speech writer??).

And the plot really got ssslllllloooowwww (just look at the book covers for Chainfire and Phantom — you can tell we're not going anywhere). But the weirdest thing is that I kept buying these 1 star books! I can’t explain my behavior, except to say that Terry Goodkind is (was) a master at plot and characterization (truly, his secondary characters are so well done). So I kept thinking that things would get better, but they did not. How did he pull off that excellent first booK?? I've learned from this experience that I can put down a book if it's not good. There's too much good literature to read.

According to Mr Goodkind, those of us who have bailed out are ignorant and uneducated. Wow. That is something I have never been called before. I should have realized right from the start ("Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid") what kind of fellow Terry Goodkind is. Here is a quote from a chat session conducted with Mr Goodkind (this used to be on his website, but has now been removed. It is well-documented on the internet, however.):

"Why would they continue to read books they claim are bad? Because they hate that my novels exists. Values arouse hatred in these people. Their goal is not to enjoy life, but to destroy that which is good — much like a school child who does not wish to study for a test and instead beats up a classmate who does well. These people hate what is good because it is good. Their lives are limited to loathing and indifference. It isn't that they want to read a good book, what they want is to make sure that you do not. Ignore them." —Terry Goodkind

I say Terry Goodkind is the one acting like a school child having a tantrum. I regret that he got so much of my money. I hope you won't give him any of yours. If you really want to try a Goodkind book, I would recommend that you go to the library and check out the first few, and then trust me that you don't need to read any further. I will not read the last book. I'm not even tempted. What an ass.
Read more Terry Goodkind book reviews at Fantasy Literature . ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
A chicken that's not a chicken, a raven that's not raven, and a plot that's not a plot. Oh how this series has fallen in just 4 books from the first [b:Wizard's First Rule|43889|Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)|Terry Goodkind|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1316131846s/43889.jpg|1323305]? I keep hearing revs of newer books in the series, that's all that keeps me reading on in this series that is becoming known for huge brainless fodder for the masses. ( )
  capiam1234 | Aug 14, 2013 |
  smcamp1234 | Aug 14, 2013 |
This is the fifth installment of the Sword of truth series and the story and my interest are still going strong. 7 books in the series to go. I will copy and paste this review into all subsequent reviews of this series, except the last, in which I will hopefully say how awesome the whole series was. ( )
  clstaff | Feb 20, 2013 |
There are people who loved Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series from beginning to end. But a lot of people who loved it through the first four books feel this is where the series jumped the shark. Goodkind is a devotee of Ayn Rand; he's open about that on his website. But although you could see libertarian themes in the earlier books, this is the one where it's more than subtext easily ignored. If that is what bothers you about this book, to the point you didn't find it enjoyable, you might want to stop here, because in Faith of the Fallen that line becomes even more explicit and beyond that even I, who am mostly sympathetic to his philosophy, finds Goodkind unbearably preachy and just plain unbearable.

But this book, even if I do see it as falling off in enjoyment from the earlier books, is still very entertaining as Richard and Kahlan combat the power of the chimes leaching magic from the world. There are still characters I love here, and there's still humor, and there's still imagination in Goodkind's world-building to burn. And I do like that there are consequences here to actions from previous books. So even if here I could see the shark's fin protruding from the water, he hadn't jumped for me. Yet. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Oct 17, 2012 |

Terry Goodkindprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gianni, NicolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parkinson, KeithCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruitenberg, JosephineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To James Frenkel, a man of great patience, courage, integrity, and talent.
"I wonder what's bothering the chickens," Richard said.

Per salvare Richard dalla peste, Kahlan è stata costretta a richiamare dal Mondo Sotterraneo i tre Rintocchi: Vasi, Sentrosi e Rechani. Queste creature magiche possiedono un’abilità particolare, che consente loro di prosciugare la magia presente nella dimensione in cui sono state liberate. Ma ora, a causa della loro presenza, i popoli delle Terre Centrali rischiano di perdere i propri poteri magici, mettendo in pericolo non solo la vita di ognuno ma favorendo anche l’oscuro disegno di Jagang, il malvagio imperatore dell’Ordine Imperiale, dominato da un odio assoluto e irrefrenabile per la magia. Kahlan e Richard, in parte responsabili della situazione e della minaccia che incombe sul loro mondo, sono gli unici in grado di fermare e rispedire nell’aldilà i tre Rintocchi, e non vi è rischio o prezzo da pagare che non valga la salvezza delle Terre Centrali.

Continua, con questo quinto volume, il ciclo più acclamato della fantasy contemporanea

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812551494, Mass Market Paperback)

Soul of the Fire is the fifth book in Terry Goodkind's wildly popular Sword of Truth saga. The previous books are: Wizard's First Rule, Stone of Tears, Blood of the Fold, and Temple of the Winds.

When last we saw our heroes--Richard Cypher (Lord Rahl) and Kahlan Amnell--they each had made enormous sacrifices to save one another from certain doom. To save her beloved, Khalan, Mother Confessor of the Midlands, had spoken the three chimes, summoning these chaotic beings from the world beyond and unwittingly releasing incredibly destructive power. Now the chimes are stealing souls, and malevolent forces are reshaping the world itself. To save everything from almost certain doom, Richard, Kahlan, and the wizard Zedd must hunt the elusive chimes and reharness them before it's too late.

Although comparisons to Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series are inevitable, there's obviously enough room in the world for more than one blockbuster swords and sorcery series. With Soul of the Fire, fans of epic sagas will get their fill of adventure, magic, strange beings, and struggles for power as Goodkind delivers another thrilling episode of the Sword of Truth, with all the complexity and taut characterization we've come to expect from this master of fantasy. --Adam Fisher

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:05 -0400)

Seeker of Truth Richard Rahl and Mother Confessor Kahlan Amnell must confront the Chimes, a magical force that they accidentally unleashed, before the Chimes can destroy them and ravage all of D'Hara

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,693,780 books! | Top bar: Always visible