Poems by Currer, Ellis, and Acton Bell by…

Poems by Currer, Ellis, and Acton Bell (original 1846; edition 2011)

by Anne Brontë

Charlotte, Emily and Anne Bront were successful poets and novelists in their own right; however, their careers began with several collaborative works of stories and poetry. They first wrote under male pseudonyms as they feared retribution by the male-dominated literary world if they published works under their own names. They attracted attention immediately, and soon after found success with works like Charlotte's "Jane Eyre" and Emily's "Wuthering Heights." This collection of poetry reveals the highly imaginative minds of these siblings, who grew up in the moors of Yorkshire and were greatly influenced by the deaths of their mother and two older sisters. Each sister displays a unique poetic voice and style, varying between passionate, melancholic, terse, melodic and symbolic. This is an excellent introduction to the siblings' highly original and influential writing, as well as a wonderful addition to any Bront enthusiast's collection.… (more)
Member:buleth
Title:Poems by Currer, Ellis, and Acton Bell
Authors:Anne Brontë
Info:Publisher Unknown, Kindle Edition, 218 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:2017-reading-challenge

Poems by Currer, Ellis, and Acton Bell by Emily Bronte (1846)

I enjoyed lots of these poems, though generally I liked Anne's the best. ( )
  daisy_may | Nov 16, 2017 |
I read this not because I like poetry, but because I’m a Brontë fan, especially of Anne. In short, I’m a Brontë completist, hence my decision to read these poems when I dislike 99 per cent of poetry no matter how good it’s revered in the eyes of the world.

I like the story behind the original publication of this collection, namely that the three sisters arranged to have it published off their own backs, but disappointingly for them it sold two copies.

The good thing that emerged from their failure was that it led to them writing and successfully publishing the novels that made them famous.

The version of “Poems” I read is the edition featuring extras written by Emily & Anne, plus notes and an introduction by Charlotte. Can’t remember the poems in question, but I know Charlotte saw fit to tweak a few of Anne’s lines, which I think is insulting to Anne.

Anyone who’s read a modern Brontë bio will know how Charlotte could be patronising and dismissive towards her “baby sister”, not to mention her having the audacity to prevent the masterpiece that is “The Tenant of Wildfell Hall” from being republished for many years.

Although my lack of interest in poetry makes me unfit to serve judgement on the poems within this collection, I rate Anne’s as the best of the bunch, Emily’s as average, and Charlotte’s as boring and confess to skipping most of hers. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Jul 1, 2016 |

Bronte, Emilyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brontë, Annemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Brontë, Emilymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Bronte, Annemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Bronte, Charlottemain authorall editionsconfirmed
"Poems by the Bronte Sisters" is the title of the reprint edition.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,690,190 books! | Top bar: Always visible