How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. Seuss

How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (original 1957; edition 1957)

by Dr. Seuss

Member:mollyboehme
Title:How the Grinch Stole Christmas!
Authors:Dr. Seuss
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (1957), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 64 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Christmas, Children's Book, Rhymes

How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. Seuss (1957)

Summary: Grinch lived on the hill of Who-ville. Christmas was coming. Everyone in the Who-ville was so excited to prepare the Christmas stuffs. In the contrast, Grinch hated Christmas. So he decided to stole all of the festival stuffs at the Christmas Eve. He made up himself as a Santa Claus and his dog as a reindeer. Then he did stole all of the things he planed to stole. But to his surprised, every one still celebrated the Christmas as before! Finally he understood Christmas meant more than gifts and then joined in the party too.

Genre: Fantasy. The characters in this book are not exist in the real world. And a dog can't ride a tons of things. The story is created totally by imagination.

Use: 1. Ask students questions: Is stealing good? What would you do if you don't like something? Students can have a group discussion and about 10 minutes later, they share their ideas with the whole class.
2. Teacher read the book, and students take notes on what would the Who-ville people do on Christmas. Compare with their family's traditions. List all the similarities and differences on a poster.

Media: pen and ink ( )
  Aliceyeol | Apr 15, 2016 |
Another great book by the Dr. himself. How the Grinch Stole Christmas is another childhood favorite that can easily be loved by children all over the world. I read this book and felt like a kid all over again. I also have it on VHS at my parents house but it is 2016 and VCR's and tapes have seemingly become obsolete so I must find some kind of tape to DVD converter soon! Definitely deserves its 5 stars! :) ( )
  Hkl46 | Apr 7, 2016 |
This book is a classic Dr. Seuss book. Since I was a kid I have loved Dr. Seuss and this was my favorite one. It is a great story with a little twist at the end, the Grinch is a mean man with a mean heart, but at towards the end, he has a change of heart. It is a heartwarming story that can be enjoyed anywhere. ( )
  MollyyDavis | Apr 6, 2016 |
Having had somewhat of a disappointing reading month in November, I wanted to read something that would be light and sure to be enjoyable. So on a whim I bought the e-book of How the Grinch stole Christmas and it was truly the perfect book for the occasion. Very clever, I loved to read in rime (something I have very rarely done in the past), I actually read it out loud to myself. I love the rime, and the illustrations are also very sweet and I love the clear black on white with red spots to sort of pinpoint the key part of every illustration. Of course it's also very suitable for the time of year, and it was my first reading this. I am definitely going to be reading more of Dr. Seuss books soon. ( )
  zombiehero | Mar 25, 2016 |
love this book!!!!! ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
For Teddy Owens
Every Who Down in Who-ville Liked Christmas a lot...
But the Grinch, Who lived just North of Who-ville, Did NOT!

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800796, Hardcover)

"The Grinch hated Christmas! The whole Christmas season! / Now, please don't ask why. No one quite knows the reason." Dr. Seuss's small-hearted Grinch ranks right up there with Scrooge when it comes to the crankiest, scowling holiday grumps of all time. For 53 years, the Grinch has lived in a cave on the side of a mountain, looming above the Whos in Whoville. The noisy holiday preparations and infernal singing of the happy little citizens below annoy him to no end. The Grinch decides this frivolous merriment must stop. His "wonderful, awful" idea is to don a Santa outfit, strap heavy antlers on his poor, quivering dog Max, construct a makeshift sleigh, head down to Whoville, and strip the chafingly cheerful Whos of their Yuletide glee once and for all.

Looking quite out of place and very disturbing in his makeshift Santa get-up, the Grinch slithers down chimneys with empty bags and stealing the Whos' presents, their food, even the logs from their humble Who-fires. He takes the ramshackle sleigh to Mt. Crumpit to dump it and waits to hear the sobs of the Whos when they wake up and discover the trappings of Christmas have disappeared. Imagine the Whos' dismay when they discover the evil-doings of Grinch in his anti-Santa guise. But what is that sound? It's not sobbing, but singing! Children simultaneously adore and fear this triumphant, twisted Seussian testimonial to the undaunted cheerfulness of the Whos, the transcendent nature of joy, and of course, the growth potential of a heart that's two sizes too small. This holiday classic is perfect for reading aloud to your favorite little Whos. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:54 -0400)

The Grinch tries to stop Christmas from arriving by stealing all the presents and food from the village, but much to his surprise it comes anyway.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,881,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible