How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. Seuss

How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (original 1957; edition 1957)

by Dr. Seuss

Member:edellaporta
Title:How the Grinch Stole Christmas!
Authors:Dr. Seuss
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (1957), Hardcover, 64 pages
Collections:English, Storytime, Picture Books
Rating:*****
Tags:3-5 years, 6-8 years, holidays, holidays: Christmas, DL

How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. Seuss (1957)

This is one of my absolute favorites! Every christmas this is the one book I would pull off the shelf to have my dad read to me since he would not be at every christmas due to his tours overseas. This book is about a grumpy old grinch who's heart was two sizes too small and who hated christmas most of all. He one day got an idea he would steal all of christmas from Whoville. Running into Cindy Lou Who, he told some fibs to get her back to bed. As he goes back home with all of the goodies and presents he had stole, he hears a noise and yes that was singing. He did not stop christmas from coming at all. His heart was starting to grow. The Grinch brought all of the things he stole back to Whoville and they had the best christmas feast they'd ever had. ( )
  Hayley.Hustead | Jan 20, 2017 |
I loved this book because the pictures were very engaging. This book is about a grinch who did not like the Christmas holiday. Each page was colored beautifully and matched the text perfectly. For example, when the grinch carved the roast beast it showed a picture of him carving it. The big idea behind this book is that people should try to be open minded and positive. ( )
  breannaamos | Dec 15, 2016 |
This has always been one of my favorite stories and is definitely a classic. ( )
  Annabelleurb | Dec 12, 2016 |
Years ago, when my nephew was still small, my parents and I spent Christmas with my brother's mother- and father-in-law up in north Texas. Because Christmas doesn't count without the Grinch, I brought my tape along. But then I got worried that they might not have a VCR, so I brought the book, too. Over the course of the next 3 days, I must have read that book aloud some 50 or 60 times at my nephew's request. He sat enthralled every single time. It's not as fun to read aloud as Fox in Socks, but that weekend makes the Grinch my favorite Seuss. ( )
  Mrs_McGreevy | Nov 17, 2016 |
How the Grinch Stole Christmas is a classic book that has even been made into a movie. This book is about a grinch who hates Christmas and all the people of Who Ville. He plots to steal all the presents, food, christmas decorations, and anything Christmas from the people of Who Ville. This book would be good to read around Christmas time and talk about sharing. ( )
  Katelyn.Armatys | Nov 8, 2016 |
For Teddy Owens
Every Who Down in Who-ville Liked Christmas a lot...
But the Grinch, Who lived just North of Who-ville, Did NOT!

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800796, Hardcover)

"The Grinch hated Christmas! The whole Christmas season! / Now, please don't ask why. No one quite knows the reason." Dr. Seuss's small-hearted Grinch ranks right up there with Scrooge when it comes to the crankiest, scowling holiday grumps of all time. For 53 years, the Grinch has lived in a cave on the side of a mountain, looming above the Whos in Whoville. The noisy holiday preparations and infernal singing of the happy little citizens below annoy him to no end. The Grinch decides this frivolous merriment must stop. His "wonderful, awful" idea is to don a Santa outfit, strap heavy antlers on his poor, quivering dog Max, construct a makeshift sleigh, head down to Whoville, and strip the chafingly cheerful Whos of their Yuletide glee once and for all.

Looking quite out of place and very disturbing in his makeshift Santa get-up, the Grinch slithers down chimneys with empty bags and stealing the Whos' presents, their food, even the logs from their humble Who-fires. He takes the ramshackle sleigh to Mt. Crumpit to dump it and waits to hear the sobs of the Whos when they wake up and discover the trappings of Christmas have disappeared. Imagine the Whos' dismay when they discover the evil-doings of Grinch in his anti-Santa guise. But what is that sound? It's not sobbing, but singing! Children simultaneously adore and fear this triumphant, twisted Seussian testimonial to the undaunted cheerfulness of the Whos, the transcendent nature of joy, and of course, the growth potential of a heart that's two sizes too small. This holiday classic is perfect for reading aloud to your favorite little Whos. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:54 -0400)

The Grinch tries to stop Christmas from arriving by stealing all the presents and food from the village, but much to his surprise it comes anyway.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,784,108 books! | Top bar: Always visible