How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. Seuss

How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (original 1957; edition 1957)

by Dr. Seuss

Member:edellaporta
Title:How the Grinch Stole Christmas!
Authors:Dr. Seuss
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (1957), Hardcover, 64 pages
Collections:Storytime, Picture Books
Rating:*****
Tags:3-5 years, 6-8 years, holidays, holidays: Christmas, DL

How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. Seuss (1957)

A fan favorite, Dr. Seuss has done it again! How the Grinch Stole Christmas is Dr. Seuss' take on a person (or 'who') who hates Christmas, and will do anything in his power to stop it from happening. But as we all know, Christmas will come anyways. I would recommend this book to children just learning to read, and any type of reader after that. ( )
  SimoneAlexis | Dec 11, 2014 |
Summary:
This children's book is about the Grinch whose heart is two sizes too small and hates Who-ville's holiday celebrations and plans to steal the presents from everyone in the town of Who-ville to ruin Christmas. As the Grinch is going through with his plan, his feelings change and eventually finds the true meaning of the holiday.

Review:
All books by Dr. Suess I love but especially this one. The way that the Grinch discovers the meaning of Christmas and realizes that he does not have to be alone. This story is a classic tale about greed, materialism, and the kindness of others that all people can relate to. ( )
  mnorth2 | Dec 9, 2014 |
This is a classic that every child should read. It is a story about the Grinch and how he "stole christmas." This book could be fun to read in the classroom because there are also a couple movies made after the book. This book reminds me of my childhood. It has a lot of rhyming and catchy phrases which make it a fun read for emerging readers. The illustrations are excellent and portray the craziness of the story. ( )
  sconne7 | Dec 1, 2014 |
Oh man this story just never gets old. I am all about reading to my students i think it is really important because i vivdily remember loving it along with being able to picture the moving animation that was made to match the illustrations.
  ecm014 | Dec 1, 2014 |
The main message and theme being conveyed in this story is the christmas spirit of being kind and generous to all.
I liked this book because it goes against what I have said for other books. For another book I said I didn't like the illustrations because they were on all white backgrounds, but this book is mainly composed of all black and white. I thought the color though went with the book and the only other color in the story is red. On each page, for example, everything will be black and white except his red santa hat and coat, which also helps draws the readers attention.
Another reason I liked this book, and all Dr. Seuss books, is for the way his words form patterns into a rhyming scheme. I always think rhymes are fun to read and he does an excellent job of using that rhyming to pull the readers in. He uses very fun language for example, "Then the Grinch said, "Giddap!" And the sleigh started down, toward the homes where the Who lay a-snooze in their town." ( )
  JamieLewis | Oct 27, 2014 |
For Teddy Owens
Every Who Down in Who-ville Liked Christmas a lot...
But the Grinch, Who lived just North of Who-ville, Did NOT!

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800796, Hardcover)

"The Grinch hated Christmas! The whole Christmas season! / Now, please don't ask why. No one quite knows the reason." Dr. Seuss's small-hearted Grinch ranks right up there with Scrooge when it comes to the crankiest, scowling holiday grumps of all time. For 53 years, the Grinch has lived in a cave on the side of a mountain, looming above the Whos in Whoville. The noisy holiday preparations and infernal singing of the happy little citizens below annoy him to no end. The Grinch decides this frivolous merriment must stop. His "wonderful, awful" idea is to don a Santa outfit, strap heavy antlers on his poor, quivering dog Max, construct a makeshift sleigh, head down to Whoville, and strip the chafingly cheerful Whos of their Yuletide glee once and for all.

Looking quite out of place and very disturbing in his makeshift Santa get-up, the Grinch slithers down chimneys with empty bags and stealing the Whos' presents, their food, even the logs from their humble Who-fires. He takes the ramshackle sleigh to Mt. Crumpit to dump it and waits to hear the sobs of the Whos when they wake up and discover the trappings of Christmas have disappeared. Imagine the Whos' dismay when they discover the evil-doings of Grinch in his anti-Santa guise. But what is that sound? It's not sobbing, but singing! Children simultaneously adore and fear this triumphant, twisted Seussian testimonial to the undaunted cheerfulness of the Whos, the transcendent nature of joy, and of course, the growth potential of a heart that's two sizes too small. This holiday classic is perfect for reading aloud to your favorite little Whos. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:59 -0400)

The Grinch tries to stop Christmas from arriving by stealing all the presents and food from the village, but much to his surprise it comes anyway.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,342,780 books! | Top bar: Always visible