How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. Seuss

How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (original 1957; edition 1957)

by Dr. Seuss

Member:edellaporta
Title:How the Grinch Stole Christmas!
Authors:Dr. Seuss
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (1957), Hardcover, 64 pages
Collections:Storytime, Picture Books
Rating:*****
Tags:3-5 years, 6-8 years, holidays, holidays: Christmas, DL

How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. Seuss (1957)

A classic Christmastide haunt by the talented and inventive poet-narrator, Dr. Seuss. A must-read book as well as a must-watch video every Christmas! ( )
  REGoodrich | Aug 10, 2016 |
SPICES curriculum - Simplicity
  wichitafriendsschool | Aug 9, 2016 |
This didn't seem quite as rollicking good times as I remembered it--I guess it's all been overlaid with the TV special and that guy''s hammy baritone going "You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch" and whatnot. I do like his design a whole lot, though--take away the cartoon off-greenishness of his skin and paint those eyes a vivd orange and the real inhumanity of this fey adversary comes out and gives him a dark charisma. ( )
  MeditationesMartini | Aug 4, 2016 |
GR: P
GL: 3.6
DRA: 38
Lexile: 510L
  Infinityand1 | Aug 3, 2016 |
Summary: How the Grinch Stole Christmas starts out telling about Who-Ville and how they love Christmas. It also tells about how much the Grinch hates Christmas and Who-Ville. The Grinch then decides that he wants steal Christmas from the Who's so he would not have to listen to it. He ends up stealing everything and the next morning he heard the Who's singing Christmas cheer. The Grinch then realized that Christmas was not from presents, he then decided to return the presents and fix Christmas.

Personal Reaction: I loved this book and always have. This is my favorite children's Christmas movie. I watch this every year and now my daughter loves it. Around Christmas time we watch it almost every night. This book is great for children of all ages.

Classroom Extension: There are many different classroom extensions you could do with this, with me wanting to teach kindergarten I would chose simple ones that are arts and crafts. I would probably do a coloring page of the Grinch for one and the second one I would do would be to have a tree cut out of paper and little ornaments and then allow the student to glue on ornaments and glitter to decorate their tree. One other idea that I would do was the have trees, ornaments, and santa or elfs cut out and allow the kids to glitter those up and make them into ornaments to take home and hang on their tree or even have a small tree in the classroom and they could hang their ornaments on it when they were finished. ( )
  CherokeeDavies | Jul 19, 2016 |
For Teddy Owens
Every Who Down in Who-ville Liked Christmas a lot...
But the Grinch, Who lived just North of Who-ville, Did NOT!

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800796, Hardcover)

"The Grinch hated Christmas! The whole Christmas season! / Now, please don't ask why. No one quite knows the reason." Dr. Seuss's small-hearted Grinch ranks right up there with Scrooge when it comes to the crankiest, scowling holiday grumps of all time. For 53 years, the Grinch has lived in a cave on the side of a mountain, looming above the Whos in Whoville. The noisy holiday preparations and infernal singing of the happy little citizens below annoy him to no end. The Grinch decides this frivolous merriment must stop. His "wonderful, awful" idea is to don a Santa outfit, strap heavy antlers on his poor, quivering dog Max, construct a makeshift sleigh, head down to Whoville, and strip the chafingly cheerful Whos of their Yuletide glee once and for all.

Looking quite out of place and very disturbing in his makeshift Santa get-up, the Grinch slithers down chimneys with empty bags and stealing the Whos' presents, their food, even the logs from their humble Who-fires. He takes the ramshackle sleigh to Mt. Crumpit to dump it and waits to hear the sobs of the Whos when they wake up and discover the trappings of Christmas have disappeared. Imagine the Whos' dismay when they discover the evil-doings of Grinch in his anti-Santa guise. But what is that sound? It's not sobbing, but singing! Children simultaneously adore and fear this triumphant, twisted Seussian testimonial to the undaunted cheerfulness of the Whos, the transcendent nature of joy, and of course, the growth potential of a heart that's two sizes too small. This holiday classic is perfect for reading aloud to your favorite little Whos. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:54 -0400)

The Grinch tries to stop Christmas from arriving by stealing all the presents and food from the village, but much to his surprise it comes anyway.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,365,346 books! | Top bar: Always visible