The Exodus Quest by Will Adams

The Exodus Quest (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Will Adams

Member:jnelson4
Title:The Exodus Quest
Authors:Will Adams
Info:Harper (2008), Paperback, 560 pages
Collections:Daniel Knox, To read

The Exodus Quest by Will Adams (2008)

A great action thriller with historical references. The book presents an interesting theory linking biblical and Egyptian histories. ( )
  adam.currey | Sep 20, 2018 |
Loved the first one. Bought the second and ... same.
Action packed historical adventure roller coaster. You know what you're going to get and it's great fun, once in a while. ( )
  jameserith | Jul 27, 2015 |
Loved the first one. Bought the second and ... same.
  jameserith | Jul 27, 2015 |
Entertaining for the most part. While other reviewers found Adams' style of writing short chapters which are even further subdivided into vignettes that switch constantly between characters and situations, I found it irritating. I would have appreciated sticking with one set of people for a little longer than Adams did.

I also found the climax and resolution severely lacking; it may be that I just wasn't invested in the characters, or maybe that it was rushed. I don't know.

And finally, as a religious person myself, I found the cavalier dismissal of the Bible as a collection of folktales by most of the characters (other than the arguably maniacal and definitely homicidal reverend who serves as a primary antagonist) rather offensive. While I am open to other's opinions and recognize that the Bible is not primarily a historical record, I do believe it to be the word of God and that the events recorded therein really happened. ( )
  rwilliab | Nov 21, 2014 |
This could have been much a much better book. But isn't because it really seems like it can't decide what it actually wants to be. An interesting, surprising ancient revelation. or an action story. Unfortunately, it ends up feeling like it falls in an unenthusiastic heap somewhere between the two.

The idea that Akenaten was the beginner of an idea of Monotheism (the doctrine or belief that there is one god), that possibly lead to the Jewish and the Christian 'God', isn't a new theory. But it is probably one that would surprise a lot of the readers of this type of Historical Mystery and Adventure novel. And so one that could, if handled correctly, lead to some Dan Brown/'The Da Vinci Code'-type excitement, even notoriety amongst a wider public. But by losing the premis amongst a convoluted tale of chases, corrupt Egyptian Police, mad US preachers, old girlfriends, narcissistic TV Archaeologists and their assistants and rain, lots of rain, it really doesn't become what it could have been. But, having read the previous one (?) involving Will Adams' archaeological hero 'Daniel Cox', the Alexander Cypher back in June, I really think that part of the problem is that the author either isn't interested in writing a better book, or isn't able to. I can't decide.

Then, as with a lot of these type of adventure stories, he's also fallen into the trap of putting quotation marks around his theory. Of having his characters have long 'conversations' where they regurgitate all the facts the author wants the reader to get up to speed on, to enable the premis of the book/story to move along. Where characters being chased by all sorts of officialdom or underworld hoodlums, run through the streets dodging bullets while also running through what sounds like the presentation of a doctorate thesis. Really, especially in the early sections, the number of lectures they give each other, masquerading as conversations, is unbelievable. Not to say extremely dull if you're supposed to be reading, or supposed to be writing, an adventure story.

And, in a story where they generally accidentally stumble upon illicit archaeological digs and fall over artifacts in obscure Egyptian back-street markets, isn't it lucky that - for instance and amongst many other examples - that Knox had; "...wasted countless glorious summer afternoons in a forlorn effort to master Syriac by studying that particular text...” Or his possibly/possibly not girlfriend 'Gaille' had; “...worked on her father’s excavation in Amarna for two seasons while still a teenager, and who’d studied the Eighteenth Dynasty for three years at the Sorbonne.” Handy. It often feels like the girl behind the counter in the coffee shop could probably interject with the name of the otherwise never heard of outside the British Museum's Ancient Greece section obscure Greek philosopher/writer who may have mentioned a fact that proves the unbelievable, improbable and otherwise generally thought to be unprovable.

Then with the chase and adventure part of the story, another irritation came forward. Clearly having read and misunderstood too many Robert Ludlum books, he tries to keep too many (not all that interesting) balls in the air. Switching between different locations and different aspects of the action in the hope of simulating the frenetic atmosphere he's wanting to project. If not handled correctly, it just gives the whole thing discontinuity. And this isn't handled correctly or with any great enthusiasm. It just ends up feeling too broken up and frustratingly disjointed.

It was good, but not great. It was exciting in parts, but not in enough parts. It was interesting in premis, but unenthusiastically handled. And that lack of enthusiasm spread to this reader as well. Should I read another of his? I can't decide. ( )
  Speesh | Mar 29, 2014 |
In fond memory of my friend and cousin Mark Petre
The plaster had dried at last.

"Fact collides with fiction in Will Adams's second adventure featuring archaeologist Daniel Knox"--Provided by publisher.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,693,615 books! | Top bar: Always visible