The Conquerors: Roosevelt, Truman and the Destruction of Hitler's Germany,… (2002)

by Michael R. Beschloss

As Allied soldiers fought the Nazis, Franklin Roosevelt and, later, Harry Truman fought in private with Churchill and Stalin over how to ensure that Germany could never threaten the world again. Eleven years in the writing, drawing on newly opened American, Soviet and British documents as well as private diaries, letters and secret audio recordings, Michael Beschloss's gripping narrative lets us eavesdrop on private conversations and telephone calls among a cast of historical giants. The book casts new light upon Roosevelt's concealment of what America knew about Hitler's war against the Jews and his foot-dragging on saving refugees. FDR's actions so shocked his closest friend in the Cabinet, Secretary of the Treasury Henry Morgenthau, Jr., that Morgenthau risked their friendship by accusing the President of "acquiescence" in the "murder of the Jews." After the Normandy invasion, "obsessed" by what he had learned about the Nazis and the Holocaust, Morgenthau drew up a secret blueprint for the Allies to crush Germany by destroying German mines and factories after the European victory. As The conquerors shows, FDR endorsed most of Morgenthau's plan, and privately pressured a reluctant Churchill to concur. Horrified, Secretary of State Cordell Hull and Secretary of War Henry Stimson leaked the plan to the press at the zenith of the 1944 campaign. Hitler's propagandist Joseph Goebbels denounced the Roosevelt-Churchill "Jewish murder plan" and claimed it would kill forty-three million Germans. Republican presidential candidate Thomas Dewey charged that by stiffening German resistance, publicity about Morgenthau's plan had cost many U.S. soldiers' lives. The conquerors explores suspicions that Soviet secret agents manipulated Roosevelt and his officials to do Stalin's bidding on Germany. It reveals new information on FDR's hidden illnesses and how they affected his leadership--and his private talk about quitting his job during his fourth term and letting Harry Truman become President. It shows us FDR's final dinner, in April 1945, in Warm Springs, Georgia, at which the President and Morgenthau were still arguing over postwar Germany. Finally it shows how the unprepared new President Truman managed to pick up the pieces and push Stalin and Churchill to accede to a bargain that would let the Anglo-Americans block Soviet threats against Western Europe and ensure that the world would not have to fear another Adolf Hitler.… (more)

More about Morgenthau (SecTreas) than FDR or Truman, it is still interesting and well written. ( )
  wwj | Aug 20, 2019 |
Roosevelt and Truman's treatment of Germany after WWII ( )
  JackSweeney | Jan 10, 2017 |
informative, though tough sledding ( )
  tearley | Sep 28, 2008 |
I seriously loved this book! It is about the end of World War II from inside the White House and the goings on there. It was very well written and hugely informative! (And as there is references to almost everything I do believe that it is truthful as there is evidence to back up what the author states and he tells you where you can find the information!)

What I found most fascinating was seeing how FDR ran his White House and the thinking of his administration -- It looked a lot like our current administration in dealing with Iraq/Muslim countries! (That is no way a compliment!) I don't think Germany would have turned out the way it did if FDR hadn't been replaced -- It was unbelievable his thinking and way of running things! This man was elected four times?! ( )
  Adrianne_p | Aug 30, 2008 |
3856. The Conquerors: Roosevelt, Truman and the Destruction of Hitler's Germany, 1941-1945, by Michael Beschloss (read 9 Feb 2004) Since I so enjoyed the author's The Crisis Years: Kennedy and Khrushchev 1960-1963 when I read it on 25 Oct 2000 I could not resist reading this book. I found this a super-interesting read. It is "popular" history but very readable. I was amazed to find that the way Beschloss paints the picture one came to feel that it was fortunate that FDR died when he did, since he was so sick in the final weeks of his presidency--surely a contrast to my feelings when I lived thru that time. ( )
2 vote Schmerguls | Oct 31, 2007 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,909,383 books! | Top bar: Always visible