The Four Deuces: A Korean War Story by C. S.…

The Four Deuces: A Korean War Story

by C. S. Crawford

Crawford was a young scared Marine when he went to Korea in 1951. This book is his story told many years after the fact . He Doesn't glorify the battles or people. He Doesn't try to explain the why or wherefores of the war. Just tells in simple terms the day to day life and doings of the war from his point of view.

The Stories he tells are at times humorous, sad and shocking but never gratuitously graphic or violent.

Though his eyes and writing you get a glimse into why such strong bounds are forged between unlikly people in war time. A must read for any military history buff or those who are interested in the Korean War. ( )
1 vote usnmm2 | Jan 11, 2009 |

These memoirs are not an attempt to answer, solve, or resolve the problems arising from or about the three-year-long Korean War or the much longer stalemate that followed. This story was written to let you know how one very young, very scared marine saw his very first war and how he reacted to the killing and the mayhem of it. The stories are my view of that war, a war gone to ground in the trench lines. Dig into the stories and you may find something you were not expecting.

I am well aware that my view of the Korean War has no historical importance. Still, it is my view, and I want to share it with you. I do not have a cause to plead or an ax to grind, and that alone ought to count for something. My memoirs are selective and most certainly tainted with time. My recollections are a lot like boot mines, and ought to be approached with caution.

I was a grunt, a Four Deuce forward observer, assigned to duty with a marine infantry company every time the 1st Marine Regiment went back up on line. During the time I was in Korea my boondockers were firmly planted in trench-line mud. When I came home in September 1952, I was proud that I had helped in the attempt to stop Communism in Korea. I was proud of all the men I served, and served with, and I was a little bit proud of myself, too.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:23 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,050,535 books! | Top bar: Always visible