Deutsche Geschichte des neunzehnten und…

Deutsche Geschichte des neunzehnten und zwanzigsten Jahrhunderts (original 1958; edition 1959)

by Golo Mann (Author)

199387,147 (3.84)None
Member:chwiggy
Title:Deutsche Geschichte des neunzehnten und zwanzigsten Jahrhunderts
Authors:Golo Mann (Author)
Info:Frankfurt am Main : S. Fischer Verlag [1958]
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:history, non fiction, Old

Deutsche Geschichte des 19. und 20. Jahrhunderts by Golo Mann (1958)

English (2)  German (1)  All languages (3)
Written by the son of Thomas Mann, Golo Mann had a troubled relationship with his native Germany. This is borne out by his characterizations of the government actions leading up to WWI (I stopped reading at the conclusion of WWI, since that is the focus of my current research). Mann's discussions of Bismarck's maneuvering are insightful. I also enjoyed his occasional captions of important historical figures. There is a strong emphasis on the socialist movement during the pre-WWI period. While it may have flaws as a history, I found this narrative a good place to start on my exploration of recent German history. ( )
1 vote ninefivepeak | Jul 26, 2014 |
1498 The History of Germany Since 1789, by Golo Mann translated from the German by Marian Jackson (read 18 Sep 1978) When I finished this book I said to myself only this: "I have finished, finally, this book. It was too interpretative, not enough narrative history. But not too bad a book. ( )
  Schmerguls | Jan 12, 2009 |

Golo Mannprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jackson, MarianTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The genius of Europe of Europe has given much to the world: things good and evil, generally things that are both good and evil – among them the state and the nation.

Traces the sweep of intellectual development in Germany. As well as chronicling historic events, the book deals in detail with the contributions of philosophers, poets and novelists alongside those of parliamentarians.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,340,346 books! | Top bar: Always visible