Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

Eat, Pray, Love (2006)

by Elizabeth Gilbert

Recently added byprivate library, CMcDiarmid, olongbourn, arena100, cattylj, Cmyrick36, TheBookStop
    Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen by Julie Powell (heidialice)
    Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage by Elizabeth Gilbert (cafepithecus)
    Now is the Time to Open Your Heart by Alice Walker (aleahmarie)
    aleahmarie: An American woman reaching mid-life shrugs off all she has done in order to discover who she might be. Both stories resonate with spirituality, the feminine, and exotic travel.
    Dreaming in Hindi by Katherine Russell Rich (amyblue)
    How to Be Single by Liz Tuccillo (elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: This is a way better book than Eat Pray Love. A similar premise but written well. The main character decides to go on a journey around the world and research how people are single in different countries. Humourous and endearing!
    A Thousand Days in Venice by Marlena de Blasi (infiniteletters)
    Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed (KatyBee)
    KatyBee: Another woman's search.
    Yoga Bitch: One Woman's Quest to Conquer Skepticism, Cynicism, and Cigarettes on the Path to Enlightenment by Suzanne Morrison (ainsleytewce)
    Mennonite in a Little Black Dress: A Memoir of Going Home by Rhoda Janzen (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: Both of these books deal with a woman looking for meaning and trying to deal with failed relationships in their past -- one travels the world, the other goes home, but both have written heartfelt and funny memoirs about the experience.
    Life of Pi by Yann Martel (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Both deal with the same kind of mixed spirituality.
    A Woman Alone: Travel Tales from Around the Globe by Faith Conlon (PaperbackPirate)
    PaperbackPirate: I enjoyed this collection of short stories much more than Eat, Pray, Love.
    The View from Lazy Point: A Natural Year in an Unnatural World by Carl Safina (joririchardson)
    It sucked and then I cried by Heather Armstrong (spacepotatoes)
    Holy Cow: An Indian Adventure by Sarah Macdonald (VaterOlsen)
    The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry: Love, Laughter, and Tears at the World's Most Famous Cooking School by Kathleen Flinn (DixonClassLibrary)
    Enlightenment for Idiots: A Novel by Anne Cushman (Katie_H)
    Extra Virgin: A Young Woman Discovers the Italian Riviera, Where Every Month Is Enchanted by Annie Hawes (Bcteagirl)
    The Server by Tim Parks (JuliaMaria)
    Broken: A Love Story by Lisa Jones (nancenwv)
    How Starbucks Saved My Life by Michael Gates Gill (lornay)
    lornay: both of them are about privileged people whose lives went down the tubes and were able to pull themselves up again.

English (651)  Dutch (12)  Spanish (4)  German (3)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Lithuanian (1)  All languages (679)
My attention flagged as soon as the Eating part was over. ( )
  | Feb 27, 2015 | edit |
Hated this book. Can't even imagine what all the hype was about. ( )
1 vote NHNick | Jan 21, 2015 |
This was just ok for me. ( )
  Staci09 | Jan 2, 2015 |
This book was definitely an easy read but the story leaves you still wanting. With all the praise it got I was really expecting a little more. There is no doubt, Gilbert went on an amazing journey though. ( )
  Anietzerck | Dec 28, 2014 |
My feelings for this book are exact opposites at different times. I actually made the mistake of reading some of the other reviews of this book before I started mine. I definitely believe there are many people out there who are feeling the same as I do about this book. The first part of me is jealous of this woman who can drop her entire life and go away for a year to do whatever she wants at her heart's content. The other half of me is jealous of her ability to see the world and spirituality in a completely different way than myself.

I read a lot of reviews saying that this book is very self-centered toward the author and stuff like that, but seeing as this book is about her life for a year I completely understand and expect that. Let me go into detail about the feelings I have upon completing this book: I am jealous of the peace this women has found upon her excursion and her ability to change so completely as to have been able to find this peace and understanding.

I love the way she sees her religion and spirituality and the way she spreads her views out so that others can fit their own deities and religions into her practices if someone were so inclined. I wish I had the sort of clarity she gains. Also, after reading this I want to learn to meditate and I just might one day. Hopefully. Anyway, I think that is all I have to say about this book. I loved it because it opened my eyes to a way that a person can experience their spirituality in every moment of everyday and not just when it is convenient for them and I fully intend to strive for that ability. ( )
1 vote mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
Gilbert is suffering from shattered confidence. Who hasn't been there? Who hasn't cried on a bathroom floor, sure that our life is over at 32? Gilbert's beauty is that she isn't exceptional; she's just an ordinary gal with a broken heart and gift for writing.

Lacking a ballast of gravitas or grit, the book lists into the realm of magical thinking: nothing Gilbert touches seems to turn out wrong; not a single wish goes unfulfilled. What's missing are the textures and confusion and unfinished business of real life, as if Gilbert were pushing these out of sight so as not to come off as dull or equivocal or downbeat.

This book started out as the movie did, interesting, exciting, and drew me in but the
story kind of fell flat at the end for me. I was
disappointed even though I did understand that
this woman was going through a life changing
process.
added by Writer300 | editNew Westminister Library, Writer300

Tell the truth, tell the truth, tell the truth.
----Sheryl Louise Moller
For Susan Brown--
who provided refuge
even from 12,000 miles away
When you're traveling in India -- especially through holy sites and Ashrams -- you see a lot of people wearing beads around their necks.
When I get lonely these days, I think: So be lonely, Liz. Learn your way around loneliness. Make a map of it. Sit with it, for once in your life. Welcome to the human experience. But never again use another person's body or emotions as a scratching post for your own unfulfilled yearnings.
...I don't care how diligently scholars of every religion will try to sit you down with their stacks of books and prove to you through scripture that their faith is indeed rational; it isn't. If faith were rational, it wouldn't be—by definition—faith. Faith is belief in what you cannot see or prove or touch. Faith is walking face-first and full-speed into the dark.
Man is neither entirely a puppet of the gods, nor is he entirely the captain of his own destiny; he's a little of both.
Culturally, though not theologically, I'm a Christian.

Op haar dertigste heeft Elizabeth alles wat een moderne vrouw zich maar kan wensen: een echtgenoot, een huis en een succesvolle carrière. Maar in plaats van gelukkig te zijn wordt ze overspoeld door paniek, verdriet en verwarring.
Twee jaar later, na een bittere echtscheiding en een hevige depressie, besluit Elizabeth een radicale stap te nemen: ze gaat een jaar lang alleen op reis. Op haar zoektocht naar evenwicht en geluk doet ze drie landen aan. In Italië leert ze la dolce vita kennen, in India verdiept ze zich in meditatie en schrobt ze tempelvloeren, en in Indonesië ontdekt ze de balans tussen ernst en lichtvoetigheid – en ontmoet ze haar grote liefde.

This beautifully written, heartfelt memoir touched a nerve among both readers and reviewers. Elizabeth Gilbert tells how she made the difficult choice to leave behind all the trappings of modern American success (marriage, house in the country, career) and find, instead, what she truly wanted from life. Setting out for a year to study three different aspects of her nature amid three different cultures, Gilbert explored the art of pleasure in Italy and the art of devotion in India, and then a balance between the two on the Indonesian island of Bali. By turns rapturous and rueful, this wise and funny author (whom Booklist calls “Anne Lamott’s hip, yoga- practicing, footloose younger sister”) is poised to garner yet more adoring fans.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:20 -0400)

Traces the author's decision to quit her job and travel the world for a year after suffering a midlife crisis and divorce, a journey that took her to three places in her quest to explore her own nature and learn the art of spiritual balance.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,699,954 books! | Top bar: Always visible