Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for…

Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and… (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Elizabeth Gilbert

Member:avantaggiato
Title:Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia
Authors:Elizabeth Gilbert
Info:Viking Books (2006), Hardcover
Tags:personal travel growth

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (2006)

Recently added byBrad4600, SquidgetsRoom, PSII, beyzx, lorr1322, UCLA_LGBT, NazarethLibrary, Avianna, private library
    Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously by Julie Powell (heidialice)
    Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage by Elizabeth Gilbert (cafepithecus)
    Now Is the Time to Open Your Heart by Alice Walker (aleahmarie)
    aleahmarie: An American woman reaching mid-life shrugs off all she has done in order to discover who she might be. Both stories resonate with spirituality, the feminine, and exotic travel.
    Dreaming in Hindi by Katherine Russell Rich (amyblue)
    How to Be Single by Liz Tuccillo (elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: This is a way better book than Eat Pray Love. A similar premise but written well. The main character decides to go on a journey around the world and research how people are single in different countries. Humourous and endearing!
    A Thousand Days in Venice by Marlena de Blasi (infiniteletters)
    Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed (KatyBee)
    KatyBee: Another woman's search.
    Yoga Bitch: One Woman's Quest to Conquer Skepticism, Cynicism, and Cigarettes on the Path to Enlightenment by Suzanne Morrison (ainsleytewce)
    The View from Lazy Point: A Natural Year in an Unnatural World by Carl Safina (joririchardson)
    Life of Pi by Yann Martel (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Both deal with the same kind of mixed spirituality.
    A Woman Alone: Travel Tales from Around the Globe by Faith Conlon (PaperbackPirate)
    PaperbackPirate: I enjoyed this collection of short stories much more than Eat, Pray, Love.
    Enlightenment for Idiots by Anne Cushman (Katie_H)
    It Sucked and Then I Cried: How I Had a Baby, a Breakdown, and a Much Needed Margarita by Heather Armstrong (spacepotatoes)
    Extra Virgin: A Young Woman Discovers the Italian Riviera, Where Every Month Is Enchanted by Annie Hawes (Bcteagirl)
    Holy Cow: An Indian Adventure by Sarah Macdonald (VaterOlsen)
    The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry: Love, Laughter, and Tears in Paris at the World's Most Famous Cooking School by Kathleen Flinn (DixonClassroom)
    Expecting Adam: A True Story of Birth, Rebirth, and Everyday Magic by Martha Beck (infiniteletters)
    How Starbucks Saved My Life by Michael Gates Gill (lornay)
    lornay: both of them are about privileged people whose lives went down the tubes and were able to pull themselves up again.
    Server by Tim Parks (JuliaMaria)
    Mennonite in a Little Black Dress: A Memoir of Going Home by Rhoda Janzen (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: Both of these books deal with a woman looking for meaning and trying to deal with failed relationships in their past -- one travels the world, the other goes home, but both have written heartfelt and funny memoirs about the experience.

English (746)  Dutch (11)  German (4)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  Italian (2)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  Lithuanian (1)  All languages (775)
As with most critically acclaimed books, I find myself not liking it as much as the critics do. The author's worldview is so different than my own. I fell as if she's been led astray by false prophets and it made it doubly hard for me to read it. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Dec 1, 2018 |
This is also a book about a woman who felt really lost in the life she was living, so in order to find herself she embarked on a journey that helped her rediscover herself. In this book the author, Elizabeth Gilbert traveled to India, Indonesia and Italy in order to follow her path. This book was also turned into a movie that came out a few years ago that starred Julia Roberts as Elizabeth Gilbert or the author/main character of this book. As I was reading through the book Gilbert seemed really lost in life. However, as the book progressed it seemed as though Gilbert began to find herself and rediscover her purpose in life. This was awesome for me to see. In the book Gilbert knew she needed to do this for herself and she did it and it ended up benefitting her long-term and affecting her happiness in a positive way. Overall, this was a very good book and contained a lot of good information to read about. It was also a very different book for me to read as I do not tend to read a lot of nonfiction books. ( )
  cconsolian | Nov 26, 2018 |
Too long, too indulgent, too slow.

The pacing was bad, and the 'learning lessons' were patronizing.

Not a fan. The movie was great, better way to consume the story. ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
I enjoyed this book while I was reading it, but when I set it aside, there was nothing that made be come back to it - so I gave up.

The book gives you insights into another woman's thought processes, who might be going through similar issues than you - looking to find out who she is, what she believes in, and most importantly, what's next in her life. She is funny, insightful, and self-deprecating, the book reads like talking to a friend about her problems and soul searching. However, I can only concentrate for that long on self-revelations without getting distracted. The book has no story, no progress, just thoughts. Reading this book is similar to reading philosophical works or poetry for me... which I read in spurts here or there, but not from start to finish. The content is there; the three stars are because she can't keep a hold on my ADHD-riddled mind. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
I have never read Eat, Pray, Love before and I read it this time for a school assignment on inspirational books. I like how Elizabeth writes about her experiences and acknowledges that this was the right path for her and she was able to afford to do it, she does not preach about her choices in traveling or religion, but just tells them how it was for her. I give the book 3 stars because some parts, especially the parts where she talks to god or has awakenings, they come off over-exaggerated and just downright weird. I also would of liked her to explore more into the history of the areas she visited and more about what appealed her to yoga in the first place that inspired her to go to India. I enjoyed the book for the travel and finding herself parts and can see why inspired so many people. ( )
  wellreadcatlady | Oct 4, 2018 |
Gilbert is suffering from shattered confidence. Who hasn't been there? Who hasn't cried on a bathroom floor, sure that our life is over at 32? Gilbert's beauty is that she isn't exceptional; she's just an ordinary gal with a broken heart and gift for writing.

Lacking a ballast of gravitas or grit, the book lists into the realm of magical thinking: nothing Gilbert touches seems to turn out wrong; not a single wish goes unfulfilled. What's missing are the textures and confusion and unfinished business of real life, as if Gilbert were pushing these out of sight so as not to come off as dull or equivocal or downbeat.

This book started out as the movie did, interesting, exciting, and drew me in but the
story kind of fell flat at the end for me. I was
disappointed even though I did understand that
this woman was going through a life changing
process.
added by Writer300 | editNew Westminister Library, Writer300

Elizabeth Gilbertprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bustelo, GabrielaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tell the truth, tell the truth, tell the truth.*
----Sheryl Louise Moller

Except when attempting to solve emergency Balinese real estate transactions, such as described in Book 3.
For Susan Brown--
who provided refuge
even from 12,000 miles away
When you're traveling in India -- especially through holy sites and Ashrams -- you see a lot of people wearing beads around their necks. (Introduction)
I wish Giovanni would kiss me.
A few months after I'd left Indonesia, I returned to visit loved ones and celebrate the Christmas and New Year's holiday. (Final Recognition and Reassurance)
When I get lonely these days, I think: So be lonely, Liz. Learn your way around loneliness. Make a map of it. Sit with it, for once in your life. Welcome to the human experience. But never again use another person's body or emotions as a scratching post for your own unfulfilled yearnings.
...I don't care how diligently scholars of every religion will try to sit you down with their stacks of books and prove to you through scripture that their faith is indeed rational; it isn't. If faith were rational, it wouldn't be—by definition—faith. Faith is belief in what you cannot see or prove or touch. Faith is walking face-first and full-speed into the dark.
Man is neither entirely a puppet of the gods, nor is he entirely the captain of his own destiny; he's a little of both.
Culturally, though not theologically, I'm a Christian.

Op haar dertigste heeft Elizabeth alles wat een moderne vrouw zich maar kan wensen: een echtgenoot, een huis en een succesvolle carrière. Maar in plaats van gelukkig te zijn wordt ze overspoeld door paniek, verdriet en verwarring.
Twee jaar later, na een bittere echtscheiding en een hevige depressie, besluit Elizabeth een radicale stap te nemen: ze gaat een jaar lang alleen op reis. Op haar zoektocht naar evenwicht en geluk doet ze drie landen aan. In Italië leert ze la dolce vita kennen, in India verdiept ze zich in meditatie en schrobt ze tempelvloeren, en in Indonesië ontdekt ze de balans tussen ernst en lichtvoetigheid – en ontmoet ze haar grote liefde.

This beautifully written, heartfelt memoir touched a nerve among both readers and reviewers. Elizabeth Gilbert tells how she made the difficult choice to leave behind all the trappings of modern American success (marriage, house in the country, career) and find, instead, what she truly wanted from life. Setting out for a year to study three different aspects of her nature amid three different cultures, Gilbert explored the art of pleasure in Italy and the art of devotion in India, and then a balance between the two on the Indonesian island of Bali. By turns rapturous and rueful, this wise and funny author (whom Booklist calls “Anne Lamott’s hip, yoga- practicing, footloose younger sister”) is poised to garner yet more adoring fans.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:41 -0400)

Traces the author's decision to quit her job and travel the world for a year after suffering a midlife crisis and divorce, a journey that took her to three places in her quest to explore her own nature and learn the art of spiritual balance.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,800,205 books! | Top bar: Always visible