Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for…

Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and… (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Elizabeth Gilbert

Member:jeanf
Title:Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia
Authors:Elizabeth Gilbert
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (2007), Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:spirtuality, travel, women

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (2006)

Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously by Julie Powell (heidialice)
    Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage by Elizabeth Gilbert (cafepithecus)
    Now is the Time to Open Your Heart by Alice Walker (aleahmarie)
    aleahmarie: An American woman reaching mid-life shrugs off all she has done in order to discover who she might be. Both stories resonate with spirituality, the feminine, and exotic travel.
    Dreaming in Hindi by Katherine Russell Rich (amyblue)
    How to Be Single by Liz Tuccillo (elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: This is a way better book than Eat Pray Love. A similar premise but written well. The main character decides to go on a journey around the world and research how people are single in different countries. Humourous and endearing!
    Tausend Tage in Venedig. Tausend Tage in der Toskana by Marlena de Blasi (infiniteletters)
    Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed (KatyBee)
    KatyBee: Another woman's search.
    Yoga Bitch: One Woman's Quest to Conquer Skepticism, Cynicism, and Cigarettes on the Path to Enlightenment by Suzanne Morrison (ainsleytewce)
    Mennonite in a Little Black Dress: A Memoir of Going Home by Rhoda Janzen (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: Both of these books deal with a woman looking for meaning and trying to deal with failed relationships in their past -- one travels the world, the other goes home, but both have written heartfelt and funny memoirs about the experience.
    Life of Pi by Yann Martel (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Both deal with the same kind of mixed spirituality.
    A Woman Alone: Travel Tales from Around the Globe by Faith Conlon (PaperbackPirate)
    PaperbackPirate: I enjoyed this collection of short stories much more than Eat, Pray, Love.
    The View from Lazy Point: A Natural Year in an Unnatural World by Carl Safina (joririchardson)
    It Sucked and Then I Cried: How I Had a Baby, a Breakdown, and a Much Needed Margarita by Heather Armstrong (spacepotatoes)
    Holy Cow: An Indian Adventure by Sarah Macdonald (VaterOlsen)
    The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry: Love, Laughter, and Tears in Paris at the World's Most Famous Cooking School by Kathleen Flinn (DixonClassroom)
    Enlightenment for Idiots: A Novel by Anne Cushman (Katie_H)
    Extra Virgin: A Young Woman Discovers the Italian Riviera, Where Every Month Is Enchanted by Annie Hawes (Bcteagirl)
    Server by Tim Parks (JuliaMaria)
    Broken: A Love Story by Lisa Jones (nancenwv)
    How Starbucks Saved My Life by Michael Gates Gill (lornay)
    lornay: both of them are about privileged people whose lives went down the tubes and were able to pull themselves up again.

English (715)  Dutch (12)  German (4)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  Italian (2)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  All (1)  Finnish (1)  Lithuanian (1)  All (745)
This book had its moments. It is about a woman's spiritual journey precipitated by an ugly divorce. She visits Italy to learn pleasure, India to learn devotion, and Indonesia to learn balance. She eats a lot of good food in Italy, meditates in India under a Guru and then spends her time in Bali meeting with a crazy old medicine man and falling in love (not with the medicine man). The chief virtue of the story is that she is sharing her honest experience of faith, prayer, relationship to God. However she is highly relativistic. She does quote Catholic mystics some (especially Teresa of Avila 'the most mystical of all Catholic writers'?) in order to draw parallels which what she is learning in Eastern meditation. There are some parallels and sometimes she just reinterprets so. ( )
  Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |
I didn't think this was as good as everyone thought it was. Where others found revolution, I found a woman in a mid-life crisis. Maybe that's a bit harsh as everyone's different and it was her story to tell, this glorified after-college finding-yourself trip around the world was hard to swallow. I grant that parts of it were entertaining and relatable (the Italy section), but others were boring and alien. For those that enjoyed this book and truly got something out of it, I salute you. ( )
  mlmarks98 | May 13, 2017 |
Having doggedly avoided this book ever since suffering through the disappointingly mediocre film, I’m surprised at the poignancy of Gilbert’s memoirs. A travel narrative split between three unique nations, Gilbert’s text offers a painfully honest look at her struggles with a devastating divorce, depression, and a complete loss of her sense of self. Seeking comfort and strength in spirituality, a meditative quest in nations revered for their spiritual mastery (and one for their delicious cuisine) challenges Gilbert to re-discover herself. At times heavy handed with the intricacies of meditation, yet teeming with astute observations about religious ritual and the tradition of marriage and childbirth, among others. A uniquely forceful and resonating memoir. ( )
  GennaC | May 9, 2017 |
For more reviews, visit my virtual bookstore at kismetbookstore.weebly.com.

After a painful divorce, Elizabeth Gilbert went on a year-long journey of healing and self-discovery in Italy, India, and Bali.

What makes people pick up this book, I believe, is the universal longing to escape. How many of us fantasize about leaving our cell phone behind and disappearing overseas where no one can find us?

But this book isn’t about getting away; it’s about seeking after. Only through the experiences in the book is Elizabeth able to confront who she is and transform into who she wants to be. Surprisingly, that takes hard work. And somehow as she finds herself, we find ourselves, too.

Everything about this book spoke to me, but I want to mention one part that really stuck out to me. Before her epic trip, she decided to learn Italian for no reason in the world other than she liked it. She wrote about sitting in the bathtub with her Italian study guide, saying the words out loud and swooning over their beauty. Elizabeth Gilbert loves life, and she reminds us how to love it.

The most interesting part of this book, to me, is that it resonated with me so deeply when I disagree with almost everything Gilbert says. As a chaste Christian supporter of marriage who has been on mood stabilizers for seven years (and I’m not ashamed, thank you very much), we are polar opposites.

Her genius – and it truly is genius – is how she can express her thoughts while at the same time allowing you to have your own and that be okay. Somehow even if we don't come to the same conclusions as her, we agree with the path she takes to find them, and we're grateful that she took us on the journey.

​And by the way, I have never wanted to learn to meditate more than I did after reading this book. Someday, I want to disappear into a Buddhist retreat for months just like she did. And really, if a writer can make something as boring as another person meditating so exciting… that’s dang good writing. ( )
  Teralyn | May 5, 2017 |
Elizabeth Gilbert reminds me of a woman I know, who used to be a close friend. This woman has untreated bipolar disorder and every event in her life is either a serendipitous miracle or a catastrophic disaster. She exaggerates her feelings for and relationships with people and sucks the life out of her friends with her neverending problems and her waterfalls of tears. She can be great fun for a little while, and herein lies the paradox: she is best taken in small doses, but anything less than constant contact will throw her over the edge of paranoia. In short, unless you are a masochist, it is impossible to maintain a friendship with such a person. Gilbert is one of these people. She brags about going off her meds, but she clearly needs them.

That said, I enjoyed the section about Bali the most. Her descriptions of Balinese rituals were interesting, if a bit shallow.

Don't get me wrong, Gilbert is quite funny and endearing and she makes you want to like her, but her intensity and melodrama make that pretty difficult. ( )
  woolgathering | Apr 4, 2017 |
Gilbert is suffering from shattered confidence. Who hasn't been there? Who hasn't cried on a bathroom floor, sure that our life is over at 32? Gilbert's beauty is that she isn't exceptional; she's just an ordinary gal with a broken heart and gift for writing.

Lacking a ballast of gravitas or grit, the book lists into the realm of magical thinking: nothing Gilbert touches seems to turn out wrong; not a single wish goes unfulfilled. What's missing are the textures and confusion and unfinished business of real life, as if Gilbert were pushing these out of sight so as not to come off as dull or equivocal or downbeat.

This book started out as the movie did, interesting, exciting, and drew me in but the
story kind of fell flat at the end for me. I was
disappointed even though I did understand that
this woman was going through a life changing
process.
added by Writer300 | editNew Westminister Library, Writer300

Elizabeth Gilbertprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bustelo, GabrielaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tell the truth, tell the truth, tell the truth.*
----Sheryl Louise Moller

Except when attempting to solve emergency Balinese real estate transactions, such as described in Book 3.
For Susan Brown--
who provided refuge
even from 12,000 miles away
When you're traveling in India -- especially through holy sites and Ashrams -- you see a lot of people wearing beads around their necks. (Introduction)
I wish Giovanni would kiss me.
A few months after I'd left Indonesia, I returned to visit loved ones and celebrate the Christmas and New Year's holiday. (Final Recognition and Reassurance)
When I get lonely these days, I think: So be lonely, Liz. Learn your way around loneliness. Make a map of it. Sit with it, for once in your life. Welcome to the human experience. But never again use another person's body or emotions as a scratching post for your own unfulfilled yearnings.
...I don't care how diligently scholars of every religion will try to sit you down with their stacks of books and prove to you through scripture that their faith is indeed rational; it isn't. If faith were rational, it wouldn't be—by definition—faith. Faith is belief in what you cannot see or prove or touch. Faith is walking face-first and full-speed into the dark.
Man is neither entirely a puppet of the gods, nor is he entirely the captain of his own destiny; he's a little of both.
Culturally, though not theologically, I'm a Christian.

Op haar dertigste heeft Elizabeth alles wat een moderne vrouw zich maar kan wensen: een echtgenoot, een huis en een succesvolle carrière. Maar in plaats van gelukkig te zijn wordt ze overspoeld door paniek, verdriet en verwarring.
Twee jaar later, na een bittere echtscheiding en een hevige depressie, besluit Elizabeth een radicale stap te nemen: ze gaat een jaar lang alleen op reis. Op haar zoektocht naar evenwicht en geluk doet ze drie landen aan. In Italië leert ze la dolce vita kennen, in India verdiept ze zich in meditatie en schrobt ze tempelvloeren, en in Indonesië ontdekt ze de balans tussen ernst en lichtvoetigheid – en ontmoet ze haar grote liefde.

This beautifully written, heartfelt memoir touched a nerve among both readers and reviewers. Elizabeth Gilbert tells how she made the difficult choice to leave behind all the trappings of modern American success (marriage, house in the country, career) and find, instead, what she truly wanted from life. Setting out for a year to study three different aspects of her nature amid three different cultures, Gilbert explored the art of pleasure in Italy and the art of devotion in India, and then a balance between the two on the Indonesian island of Bali. By turns rapturous and rueful, this wise and funny author (whom Booklist calls “Anne Lamott’s hip, yoga- practicing, footloose younger sister”) is poised to garner yet more adoring fans.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:41 -0400)

Traces the author's decision to quit her job and travel the world for a year after suffering a midlife crisis and divorce, a journey that took her to three places in her quest to explore her own nature and learn the art of spiritual balance.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,481,561 books! | Top bar: Always visible