Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for…

Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and… (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Elizabeth Gilbert

Member:jeanf
Title:Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia
Authors:Elizabeth Gilbert
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (2007), Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:spirtuality, travel, women

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (2006)

Recently added byleannn, private library, juuulka, Vanala3, HollandseClub, Stabi_LB, jason29171
    Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously by Julie Powell (heidialice)
    Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage by Elizabeth Gilbert (cafepithecus)
    Now is the Time to Open Your Heart by Alice Walker (aleahmarie)
    aleahmarie: An American woman reaching mid-life shrugs off all she has done in order to discover who she might be. Both stories resonate with spirituality, the feminine, and exotic travel.
    Dreaming in Hindi by Katherine Russell Rich (amyblue)
    How to Be Single by Liz Tuccillo (elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: This is a way better book than Eat Pray Love. A similar premise but written well. The main character decides to go on a journey around the world and research how people are single in different countries. Humourous and endearing!
    Tausend Tage in Venedig. Tausend Tage in der Toskana by Marlena de Blasi (infiniteletters)
    Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed (KatyBee)
    KatyBee: Another woman's search.
    Yoga Bitch: One Woman's Quest to Conquer Skepticism, Cynicism, and Cigarettes on the Path to Enlightenment by Suzanne Morrison (ainsleytewce)
    Mennonite in a Little Black Dress: A Memoir of Going Home by Rhoda Janzen (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: Both of these books deal with a woman looking for meaning and trying to deal with failed relationships in their past -- one travels the world, the other goes home, but both have written heartfelt and funny memoirs about the experience.
    Life of Pi by Yann Martel (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Both deal with the same kind of mixed spirituality.
    A Woman Alone: Travel Tales from Around the Globe by Faith Conlon (PaperbackPirate)
    PaperbackPirate: I enjoyed this collection of short stories much more than Eat, Pray, Love.
    The View from Lazy Point: A Natural Year in an Unnatural World by Carl Safina (joririchardson)
    It Sucked and Then I Cried: How I Had a Baby, a Breakdown, and a Much Needed Margarita by Heather Armstrong (spacepotatoes)
    Holy Cow: An Indian Adventure by Sarah Macdonald (VaterOlsen)
    The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry: Love, Laughter, and Tears in Paris at the World's Most Famous Cooking School by Kathleen Flinn (DixonClassroom)
    Enlightenment for Idiots: A Novel by Anne Cushman (Katie_H)
    Extra Virgin: A Young Woman Discovers the Italian Riviera, Where Every Month Is Enchanted by Annie Hawes (Bcteagirl)
    Server by Tim Parks (JuliaMaria)
    Broken: A Love Story by Lisa Jones (nancenwv)
    How Starbucks Saved My Life by Michael Gates Gill (lornay)
    lornay: both of them are about privileged people whose lives went down the tubes and were able to pull themselves up again.

English (713)  Dutch (12)  German (4)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  Italian (2)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  All (1)  Finnish (1)  Lithuanian (1)  All (743)
Elizabeth Gilbert reminds me of a woman I know, who used to be a close friend. This woman has untreated bipolar disorder and every event in her life is either a serendipitous miracle or a catastrophic disaster. She exaggerates her feelings for and relationships with people and sucks the life out of her friends with her neverending problems and her waterfalls of tears. She can be great fun for a little while, and herein lies the paradox: she is best taken in small doses, but anything less than constant contact will throw her over the edge of paranoia. In short, unless you are a masochist, it is impossible to maintain a friendship with such a person. Gilbert is one of these people. She brags about going off her meds, but she clearly needs them.

That said, I enjoyed the section about Bali the most. Her descriptions of Balinese rituals were interesting, if a bit shallow.

Don't get me wrong, Gilbert is quite funny and endearing and she makes you want to like her, but her intensity and melodrama make that pretty difficult. ( )
  woolgathering | Apr 4, 2017 |
Despite what I have to confess as a gentle resentment for Elizabeth Gilbert - I am positive that I could get my life together if someone dumped a bucket of money on me to travel the world for a year - this book truly inspired me. Gilbert had me on the edge of my seat, laughing out loud, relating so keenly to some of her experiences. While I don't think her discoveries are necessarily a universal recipe for health and growth, her lessons are so clearly articulated I was readily inspired to concoct a few positive shifts of my own. Her book left me hopeful - and captivated by three countries I had never spent much time considering before. ( )
  Kate_Brady | Mar 2, 2017 |
Here is a woman who had everything: Loving husband, beautiful house, fabulous career....but she didn't have GUSTO. So, she abandons everything and gorges in Italy, purges in Bali, and preys upon some other poor sod. Self-absorbed balderdash. ( )
  maryhollis | Feb 20, 2017 |
Been there, done that!
  MicheleMG | Feb 1, 2017 |
Italy India Indonesia — a year of searching for self, everything very good, spiritual (not religious), Excellent (women only)

In her early thirties, Elizabeth Gilbert had everything a modern American woman was supposed to want—husband, country home, successful career—but instead of feeling happy and fulfilled, she was consumed by panic and confusion. This wise and rapturous book is the story of how she left behind all these outward marks of success, and set out to explore three different aspects of her nature, against the backdrop of three different cultures: pleasure in Italy, devotion in India, and on the Indonesian island of Bali, a balance between worldly enjoyment and divine transcendence.
  christinejoseph | Jan 18, 2017 |
Gilbert is suffering from shattered confidence. Who hasn't been there? Who hasn't cried on a bathroom floor, sure that our life is over at 32? Gilbert's beauty is that she isn't exceptional; she's just an ordinary gal with a broken heart and gift for writing.

Lacking a ballast of gravitas or grit, the book lists into the realm of magical thinking: nothing Gilbert touches seems to turn out wrong; not a single wish goes unfulfilled. What's missing are the textures and confusion and unfinished business of real life, as if Gilbert were pushing these out of sight so as not to come off as dull or equivocal or downbeat.

This book started out as the movie did, interesting, exciting, and drew me in but the
story kind of fell flat at the end for me. I was
disappointed even though I did understand that
this woman was going through a life changing
process.
added by Writer300 | editNew Westminister Library, Writer300

Elizabeth Gilbertprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bustelo, GabrielaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tell the truth, tell the truth, tell the truth.*
----Sheryl Louise Moller

Except when attempting to solve emergency Balinese real estate transactions, such as described in Book 3.
For Susan Brown--
who provided refuge
even from 12,000 miles away
When you're traveling in India -- especially through holy sites and Ashrams -- you see a lot of people wearing beads around their necks. (Introduction)
I wish Giovanni would kiss me.
A few months after I'd left Indonesia, I returned to visit loved ones and celebrate the Christmas and New Year's holiday. (Final Recognition and Reassurance)
When I get lonely these days, I think: So be lonely, Liz. Learn your way around loneliness. Make a map of it. Sit with it, for once in your life. Welcome to the human experience. But never again use another person's body or emotions as a scratching post for your own unfulfilled yearnings.
...I don't care how diligently scholars of every religion will try to sit you down with their stacks of books and prove to you through scripture that their faith is indeed rational; it isn't. If faith were rational, it wouldn't be—by definition—faith. Faith is belief in what you cannot see or prove or touch. Faith is walking face-first and full-speed into the dark.
Man is neither entirely a puppet of the gods, nor is he entirely the captain of his own destiny; he's a little of both.
Culturally, though not theologically, I'm a Christian.

Op haar dertigste heeft Elizabeth alles wat een moderne vrouw zich maar kan wensen: een echtgenoot, een huis en een succesvolle carrière. Maar in plaats van gelukkig te zijn wordt ze overspoeld door paniek, verdriet en verwarring.
Twee jaar later, na een bittere echtscheiding en een hevige depressie, besluit Elizabeth een radicale stap te nemen: ze gaat een jaar lang alleen op reis. Op haar zoektocht naar evenwicht en geluk doet ze drie landen aan. In Italië leert ze la dolce vita kennen, in India verdiept ze zich in meditatie en schrobt ze tempelvloeren, en in Indonesië ontdekt ze de balans tussen ernst en lichtvoetigheid – en ontmoet ze haar grote liefde.

This beautifully written, heartfelt memoir touched a nerve among both readers and reviewers. Elizabeth Gilbert tells how she made the difficult choice to leave behind all the trappings of modern American success (marriage, house in the country, career) and find, instead, what she truly wanted from life. Setting out for a year to study three different aspects of her nature amid three different cultures, Gilbert explored the art of pleasure in Italy and the art of devotion in India, and then a balance between the two on the Indonesian island of Bali. By turns rapturous and rueful, this wise and funny author (whom Booklist calls “Anne Lamott’s hip, yoga- practicing, footloose younger sister”) is poised to garner yet more adoring fans.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:41 -0400)

Traces the author's decision to quit her job and travel the world for a year after suffering a midlife crisis and divorce, a journey that took her to three places in her quest to explore her own nature and learn the art of spiritual balance.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,764,358 books! | Top bar: Always visible