Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for…

Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and… (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Elizabeth Gilbert

Member:AddictedToMorphemes
Title:Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia
Authors:Elizabeth Gilbert
Info:Penguin Books (2007), Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:**
Tags:Read, Read in 2010

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (2006)

Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen by Julie Powell (heidialice)
    Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage by Elizabeth Gilbert (cafepithecus)
    Now is the Time to Open Your Heart by Alice Walker (aleahmarie)
    aleahmarie: An American woman reaching mid-life shrugs off all she has done in order to discover who she might be. Both stories resonate with spirituality, the feminine, and exotic travel.
    Dreaming in Hindi by Katherine Russell Rich (amyblue)
    How to Be Single by Liz Tuccillo (elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: This is a way better book than Eat Pray Love. A similar premise but written well. The main character decides to go on a journey around the world and research how people are single in different countries. Humourous and endearing!
    A Thousand Days in Venice by Marlena de Blasi (infiniteletters)
    Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed (KatyBee)
    KatyBee: Another woman's search.
    Yoga Bitch: One Woman's Quest to Conquer Skepticism, Cynicism, and Cigarettes on the Path to Enlightenment by Suzanne Morrison (ainsleytewce)
    Mennonite in a Little Black Dress: A Memoir of Going Home by Rhoda Janzen (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: Both of these books deal with a woman looking for meaning and trying to deal with failed relationships in their past -- one travels the world, the other goes home, but both have written heartfelt and funny memoirs about the experience.
    Life of Pi by Yann Martel (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Both deal with the same kind of mixed spirituality.
    A Woman Alone: Travel Tales from Around the Globe by Faith Conlon (PaperbackPirate)
    PaperbackPirate: I enjoyed this collection of short stories much more than Eat, Pray, Love.
    The View from Lazy Point: A Natural Year in an Unnatural World by Carl Safina (joririchardson)
    It sucked and then I cried by Heather Armstrong (spacepotatoes)
    Holy Cow: An Indian Adventure by Sarah Macdonald (VaterOlsen)
    The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry: Love, Laughter, and Tears in Paris at the World's Most Famous Cooking School by Kathleen Flinn (DixonClassLibrary)
    Enlightenment for Idiots: A Novel by Anne Cushman (Katie_H)
    Extra Virgin: A Young Woman Discovers the Italian Riviera, Where Every Month Is Enchanted by Annie Hawes (Bcteagirl)
    The Server by Tim Parks (JuliaMaria)
    Broken: A Love Story by Lisa Jones (nancenwv)
    How Starbucks Saved My Life by Michael Gates Gill (lornay)
    lornay: both of them are about privileged people whose lives went down the tubes and were able to pull themselves up again.

English (660)  Dutch (12)  Spanish (4)  German (3)  French (3)  Italian (2)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  Lithuanian (1)  All languages (689)
the whole time i read this book, i could never decide whether i liked it or not. half the time i felt the author was annoying and self-absorbed and the other half of the time i found her to be on a really inspiring spiritual path. i really liked the india section a lot, which was surprising, becuase i must confess i'm not too big on the idea of westerners going to india to meditate in ashrams and never experiencing the rest of the culture. but as hard as i tried to pin her down as some escapist with idealized notions of eastern spirituality, it just didn't work and i really liked what she said about her time in the ashram.

i maybe should have given the book four stars, i don't really know. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
more like 4.5 stars really. ( )
  mkclane | Jul 31, 2015 |
****Warning contains spoilers*****
i read this long time back. Here is my review as per whatever I remember - what is the story? woman feels dejected by life after a divorce(or was it a bf?). She starts roaming around to different countries. eats a lot, mingles a lot with people and finally in the end she meets another guy and falls in love with him.

If one can afford to quit your job and still end up spending money, that too on activities like roaming around in different countries and enjoying their luxuries then I cannot understand how one can still feel so down. She lost someone dear. Yeah so did we all. What is her solution for overcoming this pain? "Find someone else"...after all these pages.
2 stars. ( )
  MugenHere | Jul 12, 2015 |
Fun for being a journey story, but with a woman as the traveling hero. ( )
  DianaSaco | Jul 8, 2015 |
I found this book very relatable which is strange considering I'm a 24 year old single engineer.
I have suffered from depression since I was in high school so I related very much to Elizabeth and how much she urged for freedom from the darkness. I especially related to the story she told about how the journey started, how she was crying on the bathroom floor. That moment when she determined that she didn't want that anymore, that she didn't want that life anymore. That entire scene felt like something that had been ripped from my life. I was able to find strength to move on with my life through God just as she'd been able to. While I found the story inspirational and beautiful there were times I felt disconnected, I would never be able to experience the things that she did. While I may never experience the things that she did I still feel as though I was on that journey with her. Elizabeth writes so well and so beautifully that it's hard not to feel as though you know her. This is a very important book for young women of all ages but it would be good for absolutely anybody to read. (Also reviewed on Goodreads)
  SaraEllen | Jul 3, 2015 |
Gilbert is suffering from shattered confidence. Who hasn't been there? Who hasn't cried on a bathroom floor, sure that our life is over at 32? Gilbert's beauty is that she isn't exceptional; she's just an ordinary gal with a broken heart and gift for writing.

Lacking a ballast of gravitas or grit, the book lists into the realm of magical thinking: nothing Gilbert touches seems to turn out wrong; not a single wish goes unfulfilled. What's missing are the textures and confusion and unfinished business of real life, as if Gilbert were pushing these out of sight so as not to come off as dull or equivocal or downbeat.

This book started out as the movie did, interesting, exciting, and drew me in but the
story kind of fell flat at the end for me. I was
disappointed even though I did understand that
this woman was going through a life changing
process.
added by Writer300 | editNew Westminister Library, Writer300

Elizabeth Gilbertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bustelo, GabrielaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tell the truth, tell the truth, tell the truth.
----Sheryl Louise Moller
For Susan Brown--
who provided refuge
even from 12,000 miles away
When you're traveling in India -- especially through holy sites and Ashrams -- you see a lot of people wearing beads around their necks.
When I get lonely these days, I think: So be lonely, Liz. Learn your way around loneliness. Make a map of it. Sit with it, for once in your life. Welcome to the human experience. But never again use another person's body or emotions as a scratching post for your own unfulfilled yearnings.
...I don't care how diligently scholars of every religion will try to sit you down with their stacks of books and prove to you through scripture that their faith is indeed rational; it isn't. If faith were rational, it wouldn't be—by definition—faith. Faith is belief in what you cannot see or prove or touch. Faith is walking face-first and full-speed into the dark.
Man is neither entirely a puppet of the gods, nor is he entirely the captain of his own destiny; he's a little of both.
Culturally, though not theologically, I'm a Christian.

Op haar dertigste heeft Elizabeth alles wat een moderne vrouw zich maar kan wensen: een echtgenoot, een huis en een succesvolle carrière. Maar in plaats van gelukkig te zijn wordt ze overspoeld door paniek, verdriet en verwarring.
Twee jaar later, na een bittere echtscheiding en een hevige depressie, besluit Elizabeth een radicale stap te nemen: ze gaat een jaar lang alleen op reis. Op haar zoektocht naar evenwicht en geluk doet ze drie landen aan. In Italië leert ze la dolce vita kennen, in India verdiept ze zich in meditatie en schrobt ze tempelvloeren, en in Indonesië ontdekt ze de balans tussen ernst en lichtvoetigheid – en ontmoet ze haar grote liefde.

This beautifully written, heartfelt memoir touched a nerve among both readers and reviewers. Elizabeth Gilbert tells how she made the difficult choice to leave behind all the trappings of modern American success (marriage, house in the country, career) and find, instead, what she truly wanted from life. Setting out for a year to study three different aspects of her nature amid three different cultures, Gilbert explored the art of pleasure in Italy and the art of devotion in India, and then a balance between the two on the Indonesian island of Bali. By turns rapturous and rueful, this wise and funny author (whom Booklist calls “Anne Lamott’s hip, yoga- practicing, footloose younger sister”) is poised to garner yet more adoring fans.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:41 -0400)

Traces the author's decision to quit her job and travel the world for a year after suffering a midlife crisis and divorce, a journey that took her to three places in her quest to explore her own nature and learn the art of spiritual balance.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,036,804 books! | Top bar: Always visible