Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for…

Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy,… (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Elizabeth Gilbert

Member:tamarajp
Title:Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia
Authors:Elizabeth Gilbert
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (2007), Edition: Later Printing, Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:memoir

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (2006)

Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen by Julie Powell (heidialice)
    Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage by Elizabeth Gilbert (cafepithecus)
    A Thousand Days in Venice by Marlena de Blasi (infiniteletters)
    How to Be Single by Liz Tuccillo (elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: This is a way better book than Eat Pray Love. A similar premise but written well. The main character decides to go on a journey around the world and research how people are single in different countries. Humourous and endearing!
    Dreaming in Hindi by Katherine Russell Rich (amyblue)
    Now is the Time to Open Your Heart by Alice Walker (aleahmarie)
    aleahmarie: An American woman reaching mid-life shrugs off all she has done in order to discover who she might be. Both stories resonate with spirituality, the feminine, and exotic travel.
    Enlightenment for Idiots: A Novel by Anne Cushman (Katie_H)
    Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed (KatyBee)
    KatyBee: Another woman's search.
    The View from Lazy Point: A Natural Year in an Unnatural World by Carl Safina (joririchardson)
    Mennonite in a Little Black Dress: A Memoir of Going Home by Rhoda Janzen (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: Both of these books deal with a woman looking for meaning and trying to deal with failed relationships in their past -- one travels the world, the other goes home, but both have written heartfelt and funny memoirs about the experience.
    Holy Cow: An Indian Adventure by Sarah Macdonald (VaterOlsen)
    It sucked and then I cried by Heather Armstrong (spacepotatoes)
    Life of Pi by Yann Martel (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Both deal with the same kind of mixed spirituality.
    Extra Virgin: A Young Woman Discovers the Italian Riviera, Where Every Month Is Enchanted by Annie Hawes (Bcteagirl)
    The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry: Love, Laughter, and Tears at the World's Most Famous Cooking School by Kathleen Flinn (DixonClassLibrary)
    The Server by Tim Parks (JuliaMaria)
    The Good Luck Knot by Melissa Field (melissafield)
    I Have Iraq in My Shoe: Misadventures of a Soldier of Fashion by Gretchen Berg (InfectiousOptimist, CcanRead)
    CcanRead: Give Gretchen Berg a shot. I wish they'd made a movie about her experience!
    A Woman Alone: Travel Tales from Around the Globe by Faith Conlon (PaperbackPirate)
    PaperbackPirate: I enjoyed this collection of short stories much more than Eat, Pray, Love.
    The Immoralist by André Gide (pgkenn)
    pgkenn: Gide invented the genre

English (640)  Dutch (11)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  German (2)  Italian (2)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  Lithuanian (1)  All languages (666)
More like three and a half YEAH I SAID IT. I read it on the beach and it was a perfect beach book WHATEVER ( )
  abbeyhar | Jul 23, 2014 |
Mulle väga ei istu, kui jagatakse coelholikke klišeetarkusi ning veel arusaamatum, kui see seotakse vägisi jumalaga. Tsitaat raamatust:
"Aga muidugi on Jumalale juba teada, mida ma vajan. Küsimus on selles, kas mina seda ise ikka tean. Inimene võib ju viskuda Jumala jalge ette abitus meeleheites- ma ise olen seda korduvalt teinud-, kuid see tuleb ju ainult kasuks, kui sa oskad midagi konkreetset ette võtta".
Kallis inimene. Just nii see ju ongi. Mõtle välja mida sa tahad ja siis tee seda. Jäta jumal rahule.

Raamatu teine ja kolmas osa on paremad. Reisikirjeldustena on Bali ning India väga põnevad. Eriti lahe oli Bali meditatsiooni õpetus- lihtsalt istu vaikselt ja naerata. Seda peaks me kõik sagedamini tegema.
Mulle ilmselt meeldiks selle autori teisi jutte lugeda. Kus peategelaseks pole tema ning tema õnnetu elu. ( )
  Indigoaalane | Jul 18, 2014 |
All the people I know (ok, lady friends only, since no guy has admitted to having done so) who have read this book can relate to it, often in more than one instance. Our circumstances and situations are all different, but the journey is rather similar. ( )
  MomsterBookworm | Jul 14, 2014 |
Gilbert is suffering from shattered confidence. Who hasn't been there? Who hasn't cried on a bathroom floor, sure that our life is over at 32? Gilbert's beauty is that she isn't exceptional; she's just an ordinary gal with a broken heart and gift for writing.

Lacking a ballast of gravitas or grit, the book lists into the realm of magical thinking: nothing Gilbert touches seems to turn out wrong; not a single wish goes unfulfilled. What's missing are the textures and confusion and unfinished business of real life, as if Gilbert were pushing these out of sight so as not to come off as dull or equivocal or downbeat.

This book started out as the movie did, interesting, exciting, and drew me in but the
story kind of fell flat at the end for me. I was
disappointed even though I did understand that
this woman was going through a life changing
process.
added by Writer300 | editNew Westminister Library, Writer300

Has the adaptation

Tell the truth, tell the truth, tell the truth.
----Sheryl Louise Moller
For Susan Brown--
who provided refuge
even from 12,000 miles away
When you're traveling in India -- especially through holy sites and Ashrams -- you see a lot of people wearing beads around their necks.
When I get lonely these days, I think: So be lonely, Liz. Learn your way around loneliness. Make a map of it. Sit with it, for once in your life. Welcome to the human experience. But never again use another person's body or emotions as a scratching post for your own unfulfilled yearnings.
...I don't care how diligently scholars of every religion will try to sit you down with their stacks of books and prove to you through scripture that their faith is indeed rational; it isn't. If faith were rational, it wouldn't be-by definition-faith. Faith is belief in what you cannot see or prove or touch. Faith is walking face-first and full-speed into the dark.
Man is neither entirely a puppet of the gods, nor is he entirely the captain of his own destiny; he's a little of both.
Culturally, though not theologically, I'm a Christian.

Op haar dertigste heeft Elizabeth alles wat een moderne vrouw zich maar kan wensen: een echtgenoot, een huis en een succesvolle carrière. Maar in plaats van gelukkig te zijn wordt ze overspoeld door paniek, verdriet en verwarring.
Twee jaar later, na een bittere echtscheiding en een hevige depressie, besluit Elizabeth een radicale stap te nemen: ze gaat een jaar lang alleen op reis. Op haar zoektocht naar evenwicht en geluk doet ze drie landen aan. In Italië leert ze la dolce vita kennen, in India verdiept ze zich in meditatie en schrobt ze tempelvloeren, en in Indonesië ontdekt ze de balans tussen ernst en lichtvoetigheid – en ontmoet ze haar grote liefde.

This beautifully written, heartfelt memoir touched a nerve among both readers and reviewers. Elizabeth Gilbert tells how she made the difficult choice to leave behind all the trappings of modern American success (marriage, house in the country, career) and find, instead, what she truly wanted from life. Setting out for a year to study three different aspects of her nature amid three different cultures, Gilbert explored the art of pleasure in Italy and the art of devotion in India, and then a balance between the two on the Indonesian island of Bali. By turns rapturous and rueful, this wise and funny author (whom Booklist calls “Anne Lamott’s hip, yoga- practicing, footloose younger sister”) is poised to garner yet more adoring fans.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:20 -0400)

Traces the author's decision to quit her job and travel the world for a year after suffering a midlife crisis and divorce, a journey that took her to three places in her quest to explore her own nature and learn the art of spiritual balance.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,669,556 books! | Top bar: Always visible