Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for…

Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy,… (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Elizabeth Gilbert

15,172None122 (3.61)484
Member:tamarajp
Title:Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia
Authors:Elizabeth Gilbert
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (2007), Edition: Later Printing, Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:memoir

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (2006)

2007 (66) 2008 (91) autobiography (157) Bali (169) biography (214) book club (117) divorce (160) fiction (148) food (217) India (509) Indonesia (365) inspirational (65) Italy (531) love (182) meditation (192) memoir (1,064) non-fiction (856) own (75) read (148) relationships (60) religion (142) romance (64) self-discovery (135) self-help (61) spiritual (93) spirituality (471) to-read (156) travel (956) women (117) yoga (128)
    Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen by Julie Powell (heidialice)
    Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage by Elizabeth Gilbert (cafepithecus)
    A Thousand Days in Venice by Marlena de Blasi (infiniteletters)
    Now is the Time to Open Your Heart by Alice Walker (aleahmarie)
    aleahmarie: An American woman reaching mid-life shrugs off all she has done in order to discover who she might be. Both stories resonate with spirituality, the feminine, and exotic travel.
    Life of Pi by Yann Martel (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Both deal with the same kind of mixed spirituality.
    Dreaming in Hindi by Katherine Russell Rich (amyblue)
    How to Be Single by Liz Tuccillo (elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: This is a way better book than Eat Pray Love. A similar premise but written well. The main character decides to go on a journey around the world and research how people are single in different countries. Humourous and endearing!
    Enlightenment for Idiots: A Novel by Anne Cushman (Katie_H)
    Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed (KatyBee)
    KatyBee: Another woman's search.
    Mennonite in a Little Black Dress: A Memoir of Going Home by Rhoda Janzen (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: Both of these books deal with a woman looking for meaning and trying to deal with failed relationships in their past -- one travels the world, the other goes home, but both have written heartfelt and funny memoirs about the experience.
    The View from Lazy Point: A Natural Year in an Unnatural World by Carl Safina (joririchardson)
    It Sucked and Then I Cried: How I Had a Baby, a Breakdown, and a Much Needed Margarita by Heather Armstrong (spacepotatoes)
    The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry: Love, Laughter, and Tears at the World's Most Famous Cooking School by Kathleen Flinn (DixonClassLibrary)
    Extra Virgin: A Young Woman Discovers the Italian Riviera, Where Every Month Is Enchanted by Annie Hawes (Bcteagirl)
    Holy Cow: An Indian Adventure by Sarah Macdonald (VaterOlsen)
    The Good Luck Knot by Melissa Field (melissafield)
    I Have Iraq in My Shoe: Misadventures of a Soldier of Fashion by Gretchen Berg (InfectiousOptimist, CcanRead)
    CcanRead: Give Gretchen Berg a shot. I wish they'd made a movie about her experience!
    How Starbucks Saved My Life by Michael Gates Gill (lornay)
    lornay: both of them are about privileged people whose lives went down the tubes and were able to pull themselves up again.
    The Server by Tim Parks (JuliaMaria)
    The Immoralist by André Gide (pgkenn)
    pgkenn: Gide invented the genre

English (625)  Dutch (11)  Spanish (4)  German (3)  French (2)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  Lithuanian (1)  All languages (651)
Brilliant! I loved everything about this book starting from the whole idea of a spiritual journey to the witty and extraordinarily engaging writing style. It's not that the author's and my situations are similar (not even close!), but somehow it was so easy for me to relate to this book that it kind of felt that I myself went through a spiritual journey while reading it. ( )
  AgneJakubauskaite | Apr 4, 2014 |
Student name: Juanita Norena
Group: 10B.
Date: 03/03/2014.
Book Title: Eat, Pray, Love.
Author: Elizabeth Gilbert.
Copyright Date: 2006.
Number of pages: 334.

Summary.

This story is based on real events and tells the story of Liz, a young woman who marries Steven, but over the years caused many problems between them until the divorce. Shortly after Liz decided to travel for a year, because she was stressed, sad, and don’t find herself, so she wanted to take a break and think about her and not the others as she often do. First she went to Rome, where he learned Italian language, met people and lots of food (she went up seven pounds in 4 months). Then she traveled to India to find inner peace and to forgive herself of all the fights with Steven, also met people who helped her concentrate on praying. And finally she went to Bali where she met Ryan; they spent much time together enjoying dinners and dances, they fell in love and eventually they married.

Liz in this book ate in Italy, prayed in India and loved in Bali.

Unknown words.

Grasping. Adj: Exceedingly eager for material gain; avaricious. "Grasping this reality" pg. 9

Leather. Noun: the skin of an animal, with the hair removed, prepared for use by tanning or a similar process designed to preserve it against decay and make it pliable or supple when dry. "I lead my clothes out last night, just like I did before my first day of first grade, with my parent leather shoes and my new lunch box" Pg. 42.

Wobbling. Adj: that wobbles or causes to wobble. And a wobble is: to incline to one side and to the other alternately, as a wheel, top, or other rotating body when not properly balanced. "Just as soon as the break comes, I run out of that classroom on wobbling legs and I scurry all the way over to the administrative office almost in tears, where I beg in very clear English if they could please move me down to a Level One class" Pg. 43

Muddy. Adj: abounding in or covered with mud. "I thought it would be me who would end up with a houseful of muddy boots ang hollering kids, while Catherine would be living by herself, a solo act, reading alone at night in he bed" Pg. 92

Grainy. Adj: full of grains or grain. "Venice is spooky under its grainy November skies" Pg. 101.
  Juanisnm | Mar 4, 2014 |
Okay, so it was an amazing read!! A very honest and transparent writer that Liz Gilbert is! So real and profound, while keeping it real. I am fascinated by her devotion and her labile nature. God bless her!! I shall read 'Committed' next :) I strongly recommend it to everyone who loves autobiographies dashes with a sprinkle of spirituality and psychology :) ( )
  pathogenik | Mar 2, 2014 |
I really love this book. Now I understand when someone says they hate to finish a book because it's all over. Gilbert is so good at sharing her experiences when she decides to get divorced and re-evaluate her life by traveling to Italy, India, and Indonesia to think things over. The reader easily shares her thoughts and feelings as well as being gifted with a more than generous education about these places and the people who live there. ( )
  justmeRosalie | Feb 17, 2014 |
The book was sooo much better than the movie but I thought it was lame that she ends up with a man she doesn't love in the end when the whole reason she went on this life quest was to find herself and stop being dependent on being married to man she didn't love in the first place! ( )
  KikiUnhinged | Feb 9, 2014 |
Gilbert is suffering from shattered confidence. Who hasn't been there? Who hasn't cried on a bathroom floor, sure that our life is over at 32? Gilbert's beauty is that she isn't exceptional; she's just an ordinary gal with a broken heart and gift for writing.

Lacking a ballast of gravitas or grit, the book lists into the realm of magical thinking: nothing Gilbert touches seems to turn out wrong; not a single wish goes unfulfilled. What's missing are the textures and confusion and unfinished business of real life, as if Gilbert were pushing these out of sight so as not to come off as dull or equivocal or downbeat.

This book started out as the movie did, interesting, exciting, and drew me in but the
story kind of fell flat at the end for me. I was
disappointed even though I did understand that
this woman was going through a life changing
process.
added by Writer300 | editNew Westminister Library, Writer300

Has the adaptation

Tell the truth, tell the truth, tell the truth.
----Sheryl Louise Moller
For Susan Brown--
who provided refuge
even from 12,000 miles away
When you're traveling in India -- especially through holy sites and Ashrams -- you see a lot of people wearing beads around their necks.
When I get lonely these days, I think: So be lonely, Liz. Learn your way around loneliness. Make a map of it. Sit with it, for once in your life. Welcome to the human experience. But never again use another person's body or emotions as a scratching post for your own unfulfilled yearnings.
...I don't care how diligently scholars of every religion will try to sit you down with their stacks of books and prove to you through scripture that their faith is indeed rational; it isn't. If faith were rational, it wouldn't be-by definition-faith. Faith is belief in what you cannot see or prove or touch. Faith is walking face-first and full-speed into the dark.
Man is neither entirely a puppet of the gods, nor is he entirely the captain of his own destiny; he's a little of both.
Culturally, though not theologically, I'm a Christian.

Op haar dertigste heeft Elizabeth alles wat een moderne vrouw zich maar kan wensen: een echtgenoot, een huis en een succesvolle carrière. Maar in plaats van gelukkig te zijn wordt ze overspoeld door paniek, verdriet en verwarring.
Twee jaar later, na een bittere echtscheiding en een hevige depressie, besluit Elizabeth een radicale stap te nemen: ze gaat een jaar lang alleen op reis. Op haar zoektocht naar evenwicht en geluk doet ze drie landen aan. In Italië leert ze la dolce vita kennen, in India verdiept ze zich in meditatie en schrobt ze tempelvloeren, en in Indonesië ontdekt ze de balans tussen ernst en lichtvoetigheid – en ontmoet ze haar grote liefde.

This beautifully written, heartfelt memoir touched a nerve among both readers and reviewers. Elizabeth Gilbert tells how she made the difficult choice to leave behind all the trappings of modern American success (marriage, house in the country, career) and find, instead, what she truly wanted from life. Setting out for a year to study three different aspects of her nature amid three different cultures, Gilbert explored the art of pleasure in Italy and the art of devotion in India, and then a balance between the two on the Indonesian island of Bali. By turns rapturous and rueful, this wise and funny author (whom Booklist calls “Anne Lamott’s hip, yoga- practicing, footloose younger sister”) is poised to garner yet more adoring fans.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:20 -0400)

Traces the author's decision to quit her job and travel the world for a year after suffering a midlife crisis and divorce, a journey that took her to three places in her quest to explore her own nature and learn the art of spiritual balance.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,441,552 books! | Top bar: Always visible